Vikings

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Vikings

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 am

Flip wrote:Freeman is a FA. I doubt he's on the team next year.

Yep...Vikings paid Freeman $2 Million to ride the bench. I think they either get a QB in the draft or consider Cassel to be serviceable and fix other needs in the draft.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Mullet Man wrote:Great article by Tom Pelissero on the Freeman disaster:
[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/12/31/vikings-qb-josh-freeman-wasnt-ready-to-play/4269041/"]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/12/31/vikings-qb-josh-freeman-wasnt-ready-to-play/4269041/[/url]

"Four people with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports that Freeman was late for numerous meetings in his roughly three months with the Vikings. A third player said Freeman often was among the last players to the facility."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:24 pm

classB4ever wrote:Some questions for Vike fans:

1. Should Frazier have been fired?
2. Should Spielman be fired as well?
3. With Frazier gone, who will be the next Viking's coach?
4. Who would you like as the next coach?

1. yes, I put most of the blame on the absolutely awful job done by the coordinators, and managing coordinators is HC responsibility. QB situation was didn't help either.
2. No, Spielman's only real blunder was drafting Ponder, and he hasn't gotten to pick his own coach since becoming GM. Signing Freeman had upside, but played him too soon. Freeman was also inactive for most of the season and maybe being late to meetings was part of the reason why.
3. I think Bevell is going to be hired. OC for Seattle, former OC of Vikings. under Childress Bevell didn't get very much freedom because Childress was such a my way or the highway type of coach, Has been able to have freedom in Seattle and it's worked.
4. Anyone that can open up the offensive playbook a little. Personally I feel its inexcusable to have a former QB playing WR and never running any kind of trick play with him or even running a wildcat. Patterson needs to get the ball in his hands waaaaaaaay more. and they need to start taking the pressure off of AP, so we can get a few more years out of him.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am

bison football73 wrote:1. yes, I put most of the blame on the absolutely awful job done by the coordinators, and managing coordinators is HC responsibility. QB situation was didn't help either.
2. No, Spielman's only real blunder was drafting Ponder, and he hasn't gotten to pick his own coach since becoming GM. Signing Freeman had upside, but played him too soon. Freeman was also inactive for most of the season and maybe being late to meetings was part of the reason why.
3. I think Bevell is going to be hired. OC for Seattle, former OC of Vikings. under Childress Bevell didn't get very much freedom because Childress was such a my way or the highway type of coach, Has been able to have freedom in Seattle and it's worked.
4. Anyone that can open up the offensive playbook a little. Personally I feel its inexcusable to have a former QB playing WR and never running any kind of trick play with him or even running a wildcat. Patterson needs to get the ball in his hands waaaaaaaay more. and they need to start taking the pressure off of AP, so we can get a few more years out of him.

When I heard Bevell's name mentioned, almost had a coronary, but you bring up a fair point on Chilly. He probably did override many decisions. I felt Bevell and Musgrave were cut from similar cloth. Way to vanilla in play calling.

ndlionsfan wrote:1. Depends on who the QB fiasco was from, him or the GM. Whatever one made those decisions needed to go.
2. Refer to #2. However his decisions in the draft and signing Freeman would make me lean to him getting the ax before Frazier.
3. They should go with a defensive minded coach, but I'm guessing they will go offense. Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, or a college guy.
4. Jack Del Rio or Kimmen? (Cincy DC)

Jay Gruden would be an interesting hire. He's Cincy's OC, correct?

Switching to QB talk, heard an interesting take on ESPN the other morning. Was mentioned rather than drafting a QB, go after Ryan Mallet from New England. Same year as Dalton, Gabbert, Ponder, etc. but has been sitting behind Brady for 3 years now. What do you think?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Didn't you guys learn from the last time you went after a New England backup, they are just products of a good system over there.

Whoever is hired as the next HC will have a lot to do with who the next QB is.

Personally I would draft one, lots of good young guys in the draft this year and next.

Plus u have Cassel and Freeman on the roster, if the rookie isn't ready week one.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 am

Sounds like the Vikes are going with Zimmer from Cincy. Looks like a good hire on paper, but I think who he brings in for OC will need to be good.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Sounds like the Vikes are going with Zimmer from Cincy. Looks like a good hire on paper, but I think who he brings in for OC will need to be good.

Adam Schefter reported Zimmer wanted Norv Turner earlier today. Request to interview him from the Browns was accepted at about 2.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I like what i saw yesterday.....of course the Rams are a unit in question
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Well, the Pats brought the Vikes down to earth. Brady can make it look so easy at times. Very little pressure, and when he felt it, BOOM, laser to exactly where it needed to go. Wouldn't have minded seeing Teddy get in the last drive just to get his feet wet, but am guessing coach Zimmer didn't want to give in to the crowd pressure or rattle Cassel's confidence any more than it already was. From how good they looked the week before (granted, the Rams & Pats are not comparable) they really looked horrible in every facet of the game yesterday. Hope all fans realize this is about what we could expect going into the season, with growing pains along the way. Hopefully will steal one here and there and continue to improve. One more thing, Kalil looked completely outmatched yesterday.

Question: What are your thoughts on Adrian Peterson's situation and how the Vikes have handled it so far?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 am

AP deal is touchy....I think with the Ray Rice thing happening it escalated AP's deal with the NFL on a watchful eye....although I think AP has enough Kids now and should stop shooting his mouth off on how many yards and how many TD's hes going to get and start running again....if I were the Wilfs I would be really looking at options with AP
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:14 am

Teddy gets to start..........like a Bridge over Purple water!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:31 pm

winner-within wrote:Teddy gets to start..........like a Bridge over Purple water!!!

That was fun to watch. O-line was awesome today.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:46 pm

It was an excellent start for Teddy and to see McKinnon run so aggressively and well was a treat as well.

We focused on Kalil for a while and the poor guy is still struggling - getting outquicked on the edge, whiffing on blocks, standing by the hole and watching the guy who made the tackle run right by him where if he picks that guy off 5 yards turns into 20.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:11 pm

The draft is near. Who do you think they go after? Many are projecting a wide receiver. I am concerned with Teddy's ability to throw down field accurately. As for wide receiver, would like to see them turn Patterson loose for 1 season on the outside and see what happens. I am hoping they draft an OL first even though they have acquired some free agents in off season. Seems you cannot have enough depth on the offensive line. If not OL, then linebacker. Thoughts?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon May 09, 2016 2:28 am

I liked the Vikings draft. I won't claim to be an expert on the draft, but I wanted Treadwell more than Doctson. Everything your read about Alexander is good. Fleeced the Dolphins on our 3rd round pick. Reviews on Beavers the 4th round pick were not that good from what I read.

The German guy is intriguing. Who knows if he makes the team. The six WRs they keep for the final roster will be interesting too. Treadwill, Diggs, Wright, Johnson, Thielen, Patterson. I guess if those 6 make it it won't be interesting considering it's just a trade of Treadwill for Wallace.

I didn't expect the Vikings to use a first round pick on OL. Currently, they have more money invested in their line than any team in the NFL. Plus it feels like they have a million OLmen anyway.

Team is on the rise IMO. Young defense, young QB. WRs and OL need to improve for sure.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby hockeynut » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Really feel bad for Bridgewater. Thought he had a good chance of having a breakout year. Now he may be done for good. I pray it's not career ending. Vikings and Minnesota sports are cursed.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:27 am

2-0, that was a big win. Probably toughest game on the schedule next week at Carolina.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:46 am

I've been a huge Zimmer fan from the get go!!!!!!!!!!!

TUE SEP. 27, 2016
The Vikings’ Secret Weapon

Is it special teams, which returned a punt for a TD against the Panthers? Is it the defense, which punished Cam Newton and held Kelvin Benjamin to no catches? Is it Sam Bradford learning on the fly? Not exactly. It’s the man on the sideline calling all the shots.
It’s easy for Kyle Rudolph to explain how Vikings coach Mike Zimmer gets the most out of his players. His best example is himself.
In Sunday’s 22-10 statement win against the Panthers, the sixth-year tight end caught seven passes for 70 yards, including the touchdown that put the Vikings on top for good. But a year ago Rudolph was frustrated. He was catching just a couple passes per game and felt he wasn’t contributing in a meaningful way. During the bye week last October, Zimmer called him into his office.
“He sat me down and laid out all these other ways I can help the team win, whether it was run blocking or helping tackles in pass protection so that we can throw the ball downfield,” Rudolph says. “For me, it allowed me to go to work every Sunday and not worry about how many balls came my way. Just focus on each play and the many different ways my position can help our offense have success and help our team win.”
We often focus on talent in the NFL, but coaching is an underrated part of a team’s success. In the span of a month, the Vikings lost franchise quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, once-in-a-generation running back Adrian Peterson, starting left tackle Matt Kalil and defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd to injuries. But the first three weeks of the season—all wins for Minnesota—have turned Zimmer into an early frontrunner for coach of the year.
His biggest competition might be the man wearing a hoodie in Foxboro. In New England, the Patriots’ ability to keep winning not just without Tom Brady, but also without Jimmy Garoppolo, has earned Bill Belichick almost as much respect as his Super Bowls. What Zimmer has done in Minnesota has been Patriots-esque, to the point that “Do Your Job” is a phrase commonly uttered around the Vikings’ Winter Park headquarters.
The identity that Zimmer wanted to establish when he took over the team in 2014 started with the simple idea that winning is the result of playing fundamentally sound football. A deep roster and an aggressive trade for Sam Bradford helped the Vikings withstand critical personnel losses, but Zimmer’s philosophy has been the driving force behind their early-season success.
“We are going to be technicians, and we are going to do our job better than anyone else in the league,” says defensive line assistant Andre Patterson, who has coached with Zimmer at four different pro and college stops since 1988. “It doesn’t matter who is out there, your technique and doing your job is going to allow us to be successful. So when somebody goes down, and the next guy goes in, we all believe that guy is going to do things correctly. Your players don’t panic, and no one thinks, I’ve gotta make more plays because someone is missing.”
That was the message in 2014, when Peterson was suspended one game into the season following child abuse charges. (The Vikings finished 7-9, a few close losses away from the postseason.) That was the message last season when they nearly won at Arizona despite missing the anchor player at each of the three levels of their defense. (It was the last loss in an 11-5 regular season that resulted in a playoff berth.) And that was the message going into last Sunday’s game.
Things got off to an inauspicious start in Charlotte, with the defending NFC champs taking a 10-0 lead after their first two drives. The Vikings generated just 34 yards of offense in the first half, but kept the game close with a safety in the first quarter and Marcus Sherels’s 54-yard punt return for a touchdown late in the second.
On the opening drive of the second half, the Vikings marched 79 yards in 10 plays—six passes, four runs—and took the lead on Rudolph’s 15-yard touchdown. Lined up in a three-point stance on the left side of the formation, he ran a wheel route with a linebacker on his hip and made an over-the-shoulder catch in the end zone.
In the postgame locker room, Zimmer told his players, “This is about the team.” And it was. The Vikings intercepted Cam Newton three times and sacked him eight times while snapping the Panthers’ 14-game winning streak at home.
“This team is built to win football games a certain way,” Rudolph says. “[Zimmer] has almost got us to the point where we believe that no matter who we play, where we play, if we play that brand of football, we have a chance to go out and win.”
In a league where style is often valued over substance, it took Zimmer 14 years working as a defensive coordinator before getting a head-coaching gig. You can’t always see good coaching, but you can see the results. Zimmer inherited a team that won just five games the season before he arrived in Minnesota, but his record is now 21-14.
“You obviously know he is a great defensive mind and was an unbelievable defensive coordinator through his whole career,” Rudolph says. “But I don’t think other teams were able to see the way he leads men and the way he gets us to play on Sunday. It’s hard to figure that out through the course of an interview; I don’t know that other teams you could see that deep into him as a person over a couple hours.” :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:10 am

All alone, 5 and O
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby hockeynut » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:26 pm

winner-within wrote:All alone, 5 and O

Make that 5-4 and with the frickin Lions in first. Bradford is a statue in the pocket. Not the answer.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Wha...wha...WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!

Side Note: Bummer that Wentz is hurt...just think of the media coverage that could have been happening all week now!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hockeynut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Wha...wha...WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!

Side Note: Bummer that Wentz is hurt...just think of the media coverage that could have been happening all week now!

Tell me about it. He would of been MVP hands down. With Carson hurt I now am okay with either team winning. Stinks he isn’t though.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things