NFL Replacement Refs

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NFL Replacement Refs

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 am

I just need to vent a little bit. After watching 4 games this weekend (I was switching between Vikings/Niners & Saints/Chiefs, then watched Broncos/Texans & Patriots/Ravens) I am extremely frustrated with the replacement refs. They are trying, but are in over their heads. It is time for the NFL to pony up and settle this and get the regular refs back on the field before someone really blows up on the field and does something stupid. This is a billion dollar a year business and they are arguing over money?
I am tired of the length of the challenges and watching the refs look clueless. (Allowing the Niners 2 challenges after they were out of timeouts???) This is getting ugly and will only get worse as the season rolls on. Just my opinion and now I feel better after venting! :D
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: NFL Replacement Refs

Postby classB4ever » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:40 am

Sportsrube wrote:I just need to vent a little bit. After watching 4 games this weekend (I was switching between Vikings/Niners & Saints/Chiefs, then watched Broncos/Texans & Patriots/Ravens) I am extremely frustrated with the replacement refs. They are trying, but are in over their heads. It is time for the NFL to pony up and settle this and get the regular refs back on the field before someone really blows up on the field and does something stupid. This is a billion dollar a year business and they are arguing over money?
I am tired of the length of the challenges and watching the refs look clueless. (Allowing the Niners 2 challenges after they were out of timeouts???) This is getting ugly and will only get worse as the season rolls on. Just my opinion and now I feel better after venting! :D

I don't think the players or the coaches are giving them the respect due. They are taking advantage of the situation and it certainly is not helping the replacements. The league did send out letters to the teams telling them to knock it off last week, but until they start doling out some big fines or suspensions as they do for the regular officials, nothing will change and it is going to spiral out of control as you said. I personally think the reason we are having a lot of close games is because the replacement officials don't have any favorites. They are calling what they see even if that team "isn't suppose to win the game". Yes, I am saying the regular NFL officials control games and make certain calls which affect the outcome of games in favor of certain teams.
I certainly agree that they have had more then their fair share of blown calls. However, they were thrown into a situation where the media, the players and the coaches are all on the side of the official's union. I believe they are getting better with each week and witnessed some well officiated games yesterday. The Vikes game just didn't happen to be one of them. Glad it didn't affect the outcome.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:49 am

they're doing as good as expected period!!

the Coaches and players are playing them like a fiddle.....I wouldn't want to be in their shoes I know that

League is to Blame Period!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:38 pm

The officiating is terrible, but I can't stand how over critical the media is. A couple of examples:

1) late in the NE/Bal game there was an illegal contact call when the player was clearly being held. Defensive holding and illegal contact are the same penalty, enforcement wise, but Collinsworth kept going on and on about how it should have been holding and not illegal contact. Had we had the regular officials Collinsworth probably doesn't say anything.

2) quoted from another forum I read on Frank Gore's fumble
Mike Pereira the f'n head of officials saying there isn't clear evidence the Vikings recovered when it was just three Vikings who jumped on the ball and stood up with it almost immediately

And then claiming the was an issue with the recovery because the guy who came out with the ball was not the number they announced.

None of this even gets mentioned if it's not for the replacement refs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Thats the Media.........And Collinsworth is an Idiot....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:09 pm

winner-within wrote:they're doing as good as expected period!!

the Coaches and players are playing them like a fiddle.....I wouldn't want to be in their shoes I know that

League is to Blame Period!

I agree that this is all on the NFL and that coaches and players are trying to "work" the refs or intimidate them into getting calls. I think my biggest beef is when the give a coach (49ers) 2 challenges after he has used all of his timeouts (and I'm not a Vikings fan at all) or how long it takes them to reach a decision when there is a challenge. They need to know the rules better in my opinion - heard on ESPN tonight that the league and the officials are talking and that Goodal is now involved in the negotiations - hope they get this settled soon.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:31 am

Last nights game really thows some fuel on the fire. I bet the NFL gets a little more interested in ending this standoff with the regular officials now.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Last nights game really thows some fuel on the fire. I bet the NFL gets a little more interested in ending this standoff with the regular officials now.

I thought it was very difficult to watch from the time the pregame show started. The berating these guys are taking is tough to watch and listen to. I have come to the conclusion that not many people, even the so called experts, know the rules. On one radio station this morning, the "expert" said that the last play could not be overruled during the replay. On another station the "expert" said that it absolutely could be overruled and they then read the official rules for the situation. My question is this: If the call was wrong, why wasn't it reversed by the replay judge whom happens to be a regular official and is not out on strike?

Also, can you believe how unlucky these replacements are? Some of the end of games situation which have fallen in their lap is almost comical. It couldn't even be scripted to go this bad. I was disappointed that they didn't get together and discuss it. That part of it I thought they blew.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nodaker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 pm

winner-within wrote:.........And Collinsworth is an Idiot....

amen brother. can't stand him
nodaker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm watching the Thursday night game and the Browns got called for intentional grounding and unsportsmanlike conduct on the same play. The referee never announced the unsportsmanlike conduct, but they did walk off the penalty. Commentators didn't hardly mention that the referee didn't announce the unsportsmanlike conduct, now if it had been the the replacement officials the commentators would have went nuts.

edit: these commentators are having an off night.
Color guy: If Little catches that ball, tie ball game. (the Browns were down 10, not sure how they can score 10 on one play)
Brad Nessler: I think that's the first time tonight the Ravens have went to a huddle. (yeah, Brad most teams go to a huddle after the defense calls a timeout.)
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things