Story makes SI's top stories today

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Story makes SI's top stories today

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 am

Story Highlights
Jamie Kuntz says he was booted from his N. Dakota team because he's gay
Kuntz, 18, was in the pressbox when he kissed his 65-year-old boyfriend
When confronted about the kiss, Kuntz told his coach the man was his grandfather
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Story makes SI's top stories today

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:07 am

This has been in all of the major papers in ND today as well as all over the internet. (Bet NDSU is happy - it takes all of their legal issues off the front page of the sports section!) According to the paper the kid was dismissed from the team for lying to his coach about who the man was and for creating a distraction for the team, not for being gay. I have a tough time believing that but it would be very hard to prove otherwise. Kid should have just committed fraud, then he would still be on the team and playing!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am

Maybe his Coach was Jealous ...ha ha.....JK......had to say it
anyway I agree.....Not a big deal if he knows how to play the Game, let him play
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am

So had he kissed an older woman and originally told the coach it was his grandmother and later came back and said it was his girlfriend do you think the coach would have kicked him off the team? What a joke.

Sportsrube - if you want to talk Bison football start a thread.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:08 pm

The media coverage of this story could not have been more unfair to NDSCS. The player failed to perform his assigned duty, invited an unauthorized guest into a team area, engaged in continuous public displays of affection while he was supposed to be working, and lied to the coach about the identity of his guest. He also admitted that he met his companion online when he was 17 years old.

Notice that I have not made a judgment on his sexual orientation. Neither did NDSCS. Administration specifically asked the question, "would we respond with the same consequence if this was a heterosexual encounter? Answer? Yes.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:The media coverage of this story could not have been more unfair to NDSCS. The player failed to perform his assigned duty, invited an unauthorized guest into a team area, engaged in continuous public displays of affection while he was supposed to be working, and lied to the coach about the identity of his guest. He also admitted that he met his companion online when he was 17 years old.

Notice that I have not made a judgment on his sexual orientation. Neither did NDSCS. Administration specifically asked the question, "would we respond with the same consequence if this was a heterosexual encounter? Answer? Yes.

What does the bolded have to do with anything?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 am

I could have made that a separate point, I guess, because it was not a factor in NDSCS's decision...

But the age gap is a point that no one seems to want to address. The relationship began before Kuntz had reached the age of consent (18). Are you NOT concerned about that?
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:The media coverage of this story could not have been more unfair to NDSCS. The player failed to perform his assigned duty, invited an unauthorized guest into a team area, engaged in continuous public displays of affection while he was supposed to be working, and lied to the coach about the identity of his guest. He also admitted that he met his companion online when he was 17 years old.

I think if you replace 65 year old man with 19 year old woman he gets a warning.

But the age gap is a point that no one seems to want to address. The relationship began before Kuntz had reached the age of consent (18). Are you NOT concerned about that?

Why should it be addressed?
Why would I be concerned about what two adults do?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Flip wrote:

I think if you replace 65 year old man with 19 year old woman he gets a warning.

Why should it be addressed?
Why would I be concerned about what two adults do?

but if this started at the age of 17...then its NOT two adults. That's what Bisonguy06 is getting at
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 pm

but if this started at the age of 17...then its NOT two adults. That's what Bisonguy06 is getting at

that is a whole different story that has nothing to do with what happened in Wahpeton
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 pm

You know a lot more than the Media does......How come?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:23 am

I listened to both Kuntz and the NDSCS AD on the radio w McFeely. And The Bismarck Tribune referenced the age of these individuals.

Here's the deal:
Kuntz says he was dismissed for being gay.
http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php?ID=977

NDSCS says his orientation had absolutely nothing to do with his dismissal.
http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php?ID=978

Has the media given equal time to both sides of this story? Mike McFeely did on the radio, but I don't think the print press has given equal time and ink.

Part of this may be because Kuntz has been aggressive in getting his story out there, while NDSCS has not. I would also say that some of the media outlets have an agenda in promoting gay rights, therefore they have no interest in equal time.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:I listened to both Kuntz and the NDSCS AD on the radio w McFeely. And The Bismarck Tribune referenced the age of these individuals.

Here's the deal:
Kuntz says he was dismissed for being gay.
http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php?ID=977

NDSCS says his orientation had absolutely nothing to do with his dismissal.
http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php?ID=978

Has the media given equal time to both sides of this story? Mike McFeely did on the radio, but I don't think the print press has given equal time and ink.

Part of this may be because Kuntz has been aggressive in getting his story out there, while NDSCS has not. I would also say that some of the media outlets have an agenda in promoting gay rights, therefore they have no interest in equal time.

-Way off base here........because a pile of them have an agenda of not promoting Gay rights.....which would be the Stations NDSCS could use.........
Believe me the College isnt looking for Publicity........in fact they would be looking ahead and forward and not back
If Kuntz broke a team rule that in the Handbook states suspension could/and or will result....Well
then Bye bye is appropriate ...plain and simple

My question............Where did he Shower?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm not off base, I am again stating facts. Sorry, I will back up and explain again...

"The story came to light after a report by Dan Savage, a gay right’s activist and nationally-renowned writer for the Seattle Stranger, in which Kuntz said he was reprimanded by coaches following a Sept. 1 game against Snow College in Pueblo, Colo."

It was Kuntz who contacted Savage to share his story. I am specifically referring to the Savage piece when I say that versions of this story were written with an agenda.

The headlines and stories written in North Dakota were sympathetic to Kuntz's story, but I am not accusing any of the ND media outlets of having an agenda.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 am

But you have to agree (and thanks for the info) that any College would just want to keep it to the minimum ....when it comes to Radio..........
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 am

Of course... NDSCS's position was that this was not a newsworthy story! A player was cut for failing to live up to the code of conduct. That stuff happens regularly across the country.

Kuntz questioned the decision and sought media attention, and NDSCS reluctantly had to respond.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 am

Bisonguy06 wrote:Of course... NDSCS's position was that this was not a newsworthy story! A player was cut for failing to live up to the code of conduct. That stuff happens regularly across the country.

Kuntz questioned the decision and sought media attention, and NDSCS reluctantly had to respond.

well hes getting it (whether good or bad for his stance) there was a Clip on Saturday Night Live I guess...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Here's a video segment, again very sympathetic to Kuntz:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... ge-science

To me, this video is very heavy on emotion and light on facts. In 11 minutes, the narrator somehow never got around to mentioning that Kuntz was assigned to the press box because HE HAD A JOB TO DO.

I want to be done with this story, but again I am seeing a ND town and institution painted in a negative light without taking a full look at the other side of the story.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things