Twins 2012

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Twins 2012

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Opening day for the Twins today. Lets hope they can stay healthy and have a much better record than last year. Lots of new faces this year.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Re: Twins 2012

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 am

Every time I see preseason predictions of the AL Central I ask myself, "how bad are the White Sox if they're picked below the Twins."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 pm

i miss the pirahna's in the dome. :(
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 am

Lets see, no pitching, no power hitters (Mourneau maybe, but you need more than 1) and a questionable defense - gonna be a long year for Twins fans. On the bright side, you may find it easier to get tickets to Target Field. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the first 3 games have not brightened my mood.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Lets see, no pitching, no power hitters (Mourneau maybe, but you need more than 1) and a questionable defense - gonna be a long year for Twins fans. On the bright side, you may find it easier to get tickets to Target Field. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the first 3 games have not brightened my mood.

Might as well get rid of Mourneau. He's worthless since he got hurt. Had 3 HRs in 90 games last year. Willingham will be a decent power hitter but not a 40 homer type of guy.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Lets see, no pitching, no power hitters (Mourneau maybe, but you need more than 1) and a questionable defense - gonna be a long year for Twins fans. On the bright side, you may find it easier to get tickets to Target Field. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the first 3 games have not brightened my mood.

Might as well get rid of Mourneau. He's worthless since he got hurt. Had 3 HRs in 90 games last year. Willingham will be a decent power hitter but not a 40 homer type of guy.

Morneau has been hitting the ball solid so far this year...I don't think he's worthless. Have some faith...give it time.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Indy5 wrote:Might as well get rid of Mourneau. He's worthless since he got hurt. Had 3 HRs in 90 games last year. Willingham will be a decent power hitter but not a 40 homer type of guy.

If only there was a high demand for "worthless" players due $28 million in the next 2 years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm

i agree with Run, Morneau isnt worthless and he is hitting the ball well to start off. give the twins a couple years and they will contend again. sounds like a broken record for all minnesota teams. (except the Lynx of course)
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Indy5 wrote:

I disagree Indy. I think Morneau will have a 20 homer season.

I do understand what you are saying about Willingham not being a 40 homer guy, but if he hits 30, that is very acceptable. Did you know that there were only 2 - count 'em, 2 - 40 homer guys in baseball last year? Jose Bautista had 43 and Curtis Granderson had 41.

We are back to reality for home run totals after the insanity of the steroid era. (Give the single season home run record back to Roger!)
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:00 am

I never said Morneau was worthless or that they should get rid of him - if he's healthy he can produce some big numbers - but other that Willingham they have a bunch of singles hitters. As far as the pitching - in this "new" era of steroid free baseball pitching is even more important and the Twins do not have a single pitcher that other teams hope they don't have to face when they play the Twins. They keep talking about all of these prospects, but I am still waiting to see performance, not hype. Maybe they could trade Mauer for some pitching, but that would alienate most of their fans and cause other problems.
Hopefully they get things figured out within the next 2 years, but until then it is going to be a long summer for Twins fans.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Mauer has very little trade value. Nobody wants to pay $23m a year for a guy who is hurt all the time and hasn't been that good when healthy.

What prospects are you talking about? I don't believe they have any elite prospects.

I hate their strategy when it comes to developing pitchers. They keep drafting pitchers who's ceiling is a 3rd or 4th starter.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 am

Flip wrote:Mauer has very little trade value. Nobody wants to pay $23m a year for a guy who is hurt all the time and hasn't been that good when healthy.

What prospects are you talking about? I don't believe they have any elite prospects.

I hate their strategy when it comes to developing pitchers. They keep drafting pitchers who's ceiling is a 3rd or 4th starter.

Hasnt been very good when healthy HAHAHAH a couple of batting titles and a MVP? Only catcher ever to do that? What would be good for you? I agree with your pitching take tho...if they had anyone reliable besides Pavano they could contend for the playoffs.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:04 pm

I guess I should have said hasn't been that good when healthy lately. He played a half of season last year and had the same slugging percentage as Alexi Casilla. If you were a GM for another team why would you care what a player did 3 or 4 seasons ago?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Flip wrote:I guess I should have said hasn't been that good when healthy lately. He played a half of season last year and had the same slugging percentage as Alexi Casilla. If you were a GM for another team why would you care what a player did 3 or 4 seasons ago?

If I were a GM for another team and the twins were shopping him I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Hes always going to be able to hit hes a career .325 hitter and hes only 28 his best years are still in front of him even if he needs to be rotated between DH C and 1st. Mauer is one of the best catchers ever. Plus it wasnt 3-4 years ago, in 2010 he hit .327 and drove in 75.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:30 pm

You're a GM and you can't think of a better way to spend $23 million?

It was 3 or 4 seasons ago when he was winning batting titles and his MVP award. .327 and 75 RBI is nothing outstanding.

He'll be 29 on Thursday and if he continues to play less and less as a catcher he becomes less valuable. No team would trade for him unless the Twins paid a decent chunk of his remaining salary.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:33 pm

packers21 wrote:

If I were a GM for another team and the twins were shopping him I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

That's because you are a Twins fan or at least from the area and see them all the time. I'm not picking on you here, just saying it in general. Everyone I talk to thinks Twins players are better than they are because they know them more because they see them all the time.

I would not shop for Mauer if I was a GM. Way too much to pay for someone who is 29 and playing less and less catcher. He's still a great player, but not good enough to pay that much for.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:57 am

Indy5 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

If I were a GM for another team and the twins were shopping him I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

That's because you are a Twins fan or at least from the area and see them all the time. I'm not picking on you here, just saying it in general. Everyone I talk to thinks Twins players are better than they are because they know them more because they see them all the time.

I would not shop for Mauer if I was a GM. Way too much to pay for someone who is 29 and playing less and less catcher. He's still a great player, but not good enough to pay that much for.

You dont know me and I dont think the Twins players are better than they really are. If the Twins would of let Mauer walk they would of gotten grilled for it. He could of signed other places for a lot more money. I dont think hes better than other players just bc I see him play more. All baseball players are tremendously over paid not just Mauer and 27-33 are the prime years in someones career. Like I said before Mauer has a MVP and multiply batting titles he has a chance of making the HOF in baseball you have to pay the players he got paid.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue May 08, 2012 12:39 pm

I truly believe if the Twins waived Mauer today nobody would pick him up.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 pm

I think there is something wrong with Mauer's swing, specifically the swing plane. Everything he hits to the left is a pop fly, everything he hits to the right is a ground ball. To me, that indicates that he's not even close to swinging level. Seriously, when was the last time he elevated anything hit to the right side? The one home run he hit?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 pm

His 2 hits tonight were basically pop flys to left. I didn't see his 2 other ABs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm

At their current winning percentage the Twins are on pace to go 44 and 118. Wow
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed May 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Drafting 2nd overall this year and aiming for #1 next year!
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 am

Flip wrote:Drafting 2nd overall this year and aiming for #1 next year!

Drafted HS OF Byron Buxton. Appears to have the highest upside of anyone in the draft. Supposedly touched 99 on the mound. I read an article on the strib that he is the fastest player in the organization and that includes Ben Revere. Camera never moves, but you get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMHqkxk51u0&t=2m13s
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:02 pm

This has got to be one of the most frustrating Twins' seasons ever. Some changes have to be made. How does their hitting coach still have a job? Gallo and Kepler are signed through this season and will never be Twins again. What would it hurt to DFA them? The organization's minor league player of the year plays the exact same position as them. It's insanity.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things