Suggest a rule change

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Suggest a rule change

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Suggest a rule change you would like to see in any sport. I have a few.

NBA: get rid of the defensive 3 second call and allow any type of defense
don't allow a team to advance the ball 3/4 of the court if you call a TO

NCAA BB: move the 3 point line back to the NBA distance
reduce the NCAA tournament from 68 teams to 64

MLB: either get rid of the DH in the AL or add it to the NL, make both leagues the same.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Suggest a rule change

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Flip wrote:Suggest a rule change you would like to see in any sport. I have a few.

MLB: either get rid of the DH in the AL or add it to the NL, make both leagues the same.

I agree with all of them except moving the college three point line. I think it's fine where it is.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Girls basketball in general:

Use a smaller hoop. The ball is smaller, making it easier to shoot. I know this would be tough in most situations but just saying.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Flip wrote:Suggest a rule change you would like to see in any sport. I have a few.

Love the NCAA tourney one. I don't understand or find a need for 4 play in games, especially if they are between 12 seeds or 14 seeds. I know that there are autobids and such that need to be in the tournament and that disrupts how the play in games are seeded, but really these play in games between 12 seeds are dumb in my opinion. Bump one of the teams to a 13 seed and keep the effect going through until you have 4 play in games among 16 seeds. Or just get rid of the play in games by reducing the tournament to 64 teams.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 pm

I agree with your rule changes and I would add one for the NBA - limit coaches to no more than 2 times outs in the last 2 minutes. I get really tired of watching NBA games that take 25 minutes to play the final 2 minutes of the game.
In MLB I wish both leagues had the DH, watching pitchers try to hit is ridiculous and it doesn't really affect the managing of the game a whole lot - just gives managers a few more opportunities to use a pinch hitter.
(And it is not harder to manage in the NL, a double switch isn't that hard to make - I don't care what Tony
La Russa keeps telling everyone!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 pm

NFL - please change the kickoff back to where it was. Touchbacks are boring.

NFL - figure out something for overtime rules. Last year's attempt was pathetic. If anything, borrow the college rule.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:19 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:NFL - please change the kickoff back to where it was. Touchbacks are boring.

NFL - figure out something for overtime rules. Last year's attempt was pathetic. If anything, borrow the college rule.

Yep I like the first one.

I'm ok with sudden death, but I also like the old World League rule where you had to win by 6 points in OT.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:23 pm

My reasoning for the college 3 point line to be moved back is because 3 pointers are such a big part of the game. Someone might know for sure, but I think about 35% of a teams shots are 3 pointers. The game is either played in the paint or behind the 3 point line.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Flip wrote:My reasoning for the college 3 point line to be moved back is because 3 pointers are such a big part of the game. Someone might know for sure, but I think about 35% of a teams shots are 3 pointers. The game is either played in the paint or behind the 3 point line.

I wholeheartedly agree with this one. The mid-range jumper is dead in the college game. It's either hike up a three or penetrate to the paint.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:36 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:NFL - please change the kickoff back to where it was. Touchbacks are boring.

Agree with both. Especially overtime. Look at how dramatic college games are when they go to overtime. The defense can actually end the game with a stop. Go for one or two on the conversion? Kick the field goal or go for it on 4th down to make sure the other team can't beat you on their possession. I really think the NFL is missing the boat by not using the college rule.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

NFL needs to put kickoffs back where they were and the NCAA needs to bring the shot clock down to 30 seconds.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby triplebbb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 pm

saw on espn that the number of concussions was down 40%. don't think they'll change it
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:40 am

Concussions are down 40% because of all the rule changes and equipment changes. Kick offs didn't make a 40% swing. I would be surprised if it made a 10% change. Goodell and the league are getting better about concussions an making rules to prevent them. That is why concussions are down not because of kickoffs
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm

NBA draft order for lottery teams: Instead of giving the team with the worst record the best chances at landing a top pick give the team that wins the most games after they have been eliminated from the playoffs the #1 pick. The worst team would have the most chances to win the most possible games. If you're eliminated on the last day of the season you would have zero wins and pick at the bottom of the lottery. This would give teams in the lottery every motive to win games at the end of season instead of tanking to land a higher pick.

I did steal this idea from something I read on ESPN, but I love the idea.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:53 pm

Two of my suggestions basically happened. The NCAA 3 point line didn't get moved to the NBA line but got moved to the FIBA line. MLB uses the DH in both leagues now. I'm not sure I saw that happening when I first posted 11 years ago.

Here is my new one for basketball. Any time FTs are attempted you never shoot more than one FT. If you get fouled on a two point attempt you shoot one FT for two points. You make the two point FG attempt, you shoot one FT for one point.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things