Stats question

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Stats question

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:My take would be:
A1 gets the FGA and the team receives the TO (since if no shot goes up its a Team Turnover for Shot Clock violation...'in my book')

I've just been giving a missed FG and team rebound for the defense. I don't have the heart to give an individual TO on top of the missed FG.

Those are my thoughts...haven't had that scenario occur so never been in that position to figure out which answer is best.

Really? Shot clock is running down and you're forced to take a bad shot that doesn't hit the rim, maybe it gets blocked...it's happened at least 3 times to us this season.

That's why I said a TEAM turnover...the whole possession doesn't hang on that one person (unless that one person held the ball the hold time...)

Nope...we haven't had a shot clock violation in either BBB or GBB...always seem to find the rim with our shots or put it up long before the Shot Clock gets under 5!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:That's why I said a TEAM turnover...the whole possession doesn't hang on that one person (unless that one person held the ball the hold time...)

that was more of my own ramblings than anything to do with your quote.

I've never heard of a team turnover, but it makes sense to me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 am

Depends on who is taking stats. Some teams don't give an individual player a TO for a shot clock violation. Just a team TO....
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Baller wrote:Depends on who is taking stats. Some teams don't give an individual player a TO for a shot clock violation. Just a team TO....

IMO, a shot clock violation is never an individual TO because the team should be involved in the play the whole possession
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Baller » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:44 pm

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... 2017EZ.pdf

Interesting stuff. This says that if it is a desperation shot at the end of the shot clock, its not even a shot attempt.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Baller wrote:http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Basketball/2017EZ.pdf

Interesting stuff. This says that if it is a desperation shot at the end of the shot clock, its not even a shot attempt.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:32 am

you make a layup on a fastbreak and get fouled. Make the FT. Is that 2 or 3 fastbreak points?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things