Questions for Viking's fans

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Questions for Viking's fans

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:17 am

Its simply amazing what evolves when Winner speaks.....I honestly believe Flip and the Mods (not all of them) don't think I know what I'm talking about.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:Ok Indy if that's your stance do you think all these teams can win their divisions in the next 2 years?
The Dolphins
The Browns
The Jaguars
The Chiefs
The Buccaneers
The Rams

Dolphins- Might not win the division with the Pats there, but they still could and they'll be in the playoffs within 2-3 years.
Browns- Tough division, but Steelers and Ravens are kinda old so they could. Bengals are young and tough, but i think they have a decent shot at making the playoffs in that time
Jags- Young QB. He can play. Trust me, when he doesn't get sacked 9 times a game, he can throw some strikes. His receivers are among the worst in the league too. Not only do they not get open, they don't even catch it. I really think they'll draft Blackmon or another receiver with their first pick.
Chiefs- Yes they will. if Charles can come back healthy and Cassel comes back and improves they will be there. Actually the biggest person they need back is Eric Berry. Pretty sure he was a pro bowler as a rookie.
Bucs- They'll be alright. Freeman was good last year, not so much this year. Had a thumb injury or something, might have affected him. I definitely think they'll be in the playoffs within 3 years.
Rams- Good young QB. Jackson is getting kinda old, but if Lloyd can give them a couple more good years and Bradford develops, they'll probably make the playoffs.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 am

In all those I didn't see a win the division. There is a difference between winning the division and sneaking in as a wild card. Out of all those teams the only 2 I see possibly making the playoffs in the next couple years are the rams and dolphins. Dolphins are a good young team who can take a wild card and the NFC West is a toss up every year so it isn't unreasonable for the rams to win it if the niners take a step back
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 am

The Chiefs could easily win the AFC West next year with the return of their best defensive and offensive player and their starting QB.

As far as the Lions and Packers being certain locks to win the division by some posters for the next couple years. You never know what's going to happen. Rodgers isn't completely injury free, he broke his foot the first game he ever played. He missed a game with a concussion last season. If their offense slips a little next season and their defense remains one of the leagues worst they could struggle to win the division.

Stafford is one of the most injury prone QBs in the league. In his first 2 seasons he missed 6 more games than he played.

Cutler isn't as great as some posters are making him out to be either. Plus he's hurt all the time.

Remember prior to this season when the Eagles were supposed to win the east? That could happen to any team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:56 am

defensewinsgames wrote:In all those I didn't see a win the division. There is a difference between winning the division and sneaking in as a wild card. Out of all those teams the only 2 I see possibly making the playoffs in the next couple years are the rams and dolphins. Dolphins are a good young team who can take a wild card and the NFC West is a toss up every year so it isn't unreasonable for the rams to win it if the niners take a step back

Well I guess in your world there are only like 6 successdful franchises. Apparently it's not an accomplishment to make the playoffs. You have to win your division and be a top 8 team in the league to consider the season a success.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:07 am

The Bucs had the youngest team in the league last season and ended 10-6. They were 4-2 and leading the division this season before it all fell apart and they've lost 9 straight. The NFC South is one of the most competitive divisions in the league and has a different winner each season as someone else pointed out earlier.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:16 am

No Indy that's not what I'm getting at at all. But I believe the original argument was winning the division so I was trying to stick to that. I would consider my favorite teams season a success if they won the wildcard spot even once but I don't think I would say they had turned the franchise around. If a team is fighting for a playoff spot every year (wildcard or division spot) I would say they have a competitive franchise. Your reading into what I'm saying to much. I was sticking with winners original argument about winning divisional titles.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:The Vikes are two years removed from the NFC championship game and last year were expected to contend for it again. Before that, they were regularly in or challenging for the playoffs. Their franchise is not in that bad of shape. Patch a few holes and get a few more pieces in place and they will be right back up there in a year or two.

Of course anything is possible. Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler could all go down in the same year. But being in the NFC North right now with 2 young, talented teams in front of them, it's just not probable. How many top 5 draft picks has Detroit had in the past decade? Young, good talent. Green Bay drafts and builds as good as anybody, year in and year out. Minnesota's lack of a good GM will always be their downfall. Not to mention their coaching staff certainly isn't proven. They are also old at many positions.
I know 1 top draft pick wouldn't necessarily make all the difference, but if Luck is the next great one, it's just typical the Vikes would miss out on him. I personally don't think patching a few holes is going to work this time around. I guess we will just have to revisit this in 2 years and see. :?:

It seems this will no longer be a problem. Chris Spielman named General Manager of the Minnesota Vikings. Vaya con Dios to the "Triangle of Authority".
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:It seems this will no longer be a problem. Chris Spielman named General Manager of the Minnesota Vikings. Vaya con Dios to the "Triangle of Authority".

Rick, not Chris. I'm not sure how this fixes things.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Fixes nothing....he should have gotten the axe too!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cardinal10 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm

As far as a shot to win--Remember that the SAINTS have won a Super Bowl! Talk about a franchise that has been at the bottom for all but a handful of years of their existence (besides the past few years, which have been excellent). Anything is possible. As far as the original ?'s: AP should have been pulled early in the Washington game because he did not have the same explosiveness (due to the bad wheel) and that could be seen in his first few carries. Their staff should have noticed this right away because it was very evident IMO. AP did not want to sit because he is tough as nails and would do anything to play--too bad the Vikes didn't have more guys with that toughness this year.
I am glad the Vikes didn't tank it for higher draft pick. If they take anything but OL, DB, and WR in the entire draft, their staff should really be questioned.
Finally, the Vikes are not going to win with Frazier. Tell me a team besides the Colts that have won a Super Bowl with a defensive minded Head Coach.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby cardinal10 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:01 pm

I guess you could consider Belichek as somewhat defensive minded--at least when he started out. He does have a pretty good offense in NE and seems to have alot of input into that offense.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:59 am

Flip wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:It seems this will no longer be a problem. Chris Spielman named General Manager of the Minnesota Vikings. Vaya con Dios to the "Triangle of Authority".

Rick, not Chris. I'm not sure how this fixes things.

Yep, Rick, my bad.
With that said, I really think you would argue about anything. Up is down, right is left, North is South. Unbelievable. Every single post you have something negative to say. I guess since basically every other franchise has a GM it certainly won't help the Vikes. Having one person with final say and to be held accountable certainly doesn't work in any other business. That person's job is to fill the holes with the right people and answer to the owners. Never has worked. Better to have 3 people with equal say so they can sit in a circle jerk and point fingers at each other. Flip off.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 pm

cardinal10 wrote:Finally, the Vikes are not going to win with Frazier. Tell me a team besides the Colts that have won a Super Bowl with a defensive minded Head Coach.

Pittsburgh behind ex defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
cardinal10 wrote:Finally, the Vikes are not going to win with Frazier. Tell me a team besides the Colts that have won a Super Bowl with a defensive minded Head Coach.

Tampa the year after Dungy left...Gruden inherited the Champs, and they had a guy by the name Sapp on D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Tomlin, Dungy, Cowher, Belichek, twice, thats 5 defensive minded coaches to win a super bowl in the last 8 years.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Bill Cowher and Bill Parcells
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:58 am

bison football73 wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Tomlin, Dungy, Cowher, Belichek, twice, thats 5 defensive minded coaches to win a super bowl in the last 8 years.

Actually Belichek was an offensive coordinator for the Vikes in the stellar 1998 15-1 season....He inherited a D minded system and rolled with it! RayLu!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 pm

I thought that was billick could. be wrong
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:49 pm

You're confused winner.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby cardinal10 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm

bison football73 wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Already said Dungy. Ya, I forgot about Tomlin. Didn't Cowher have the same D coordinator for years, even prior to Tomlin going to Pittsburgh. His name escapes me(great player a long time ago as well). Didn't Dungy play quarterback for the Gophers in his day? Not that being a great coach goes with being a great player. Now that I think about it, even being "classified" as offensive-minded or defensive-minded is NOT even a great indicator of success. Most coaches at a high level have worked their way up through the ranks and have probably worked as position coaches, O or D coordinators, or wherever they could find a good job. I think of a guy like Cowher or Gruden--name a position or something to do with football that he COULDN'T coach or motivate to be great. Just the way it is. Regardless, Frazier doesn't seem to be the guy to do ANYTHING like that!
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06 pm

that D-coordinator is dude Lebeu. but its not Frazier's fault i think its hard to do much with their offense. i think musgrave should go and the D coordinator Papac should go. Musgrave doesnt know how to call the offense, his decision making is attrocious. Papac should leave because the last half of the year Frazier was calling the defense anyways. they could just flip flop him and singletary so singletary is the D coordinator and Papac is back to LB coach. the vikes this year still had a top 10 run defense but their secondary is just so awful all teams had to do was throw the ball. all around it was just a bad year because of not very good players. it was also only Frazier's first full year. im tired of these people who think things need to be better right this second when reality is they wont get better for a couple years.
Last edited by bison football73 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 pm

bison football73 wrote:I thought that was billick could. be wrong

I meant Billick...thank you!.. :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:36 pm

I love how the common nickname for Richard is changed to dude haha
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 pm

I thought this thread would be fun to bring back to the top. I for one did not think the Vikes could win the division in less then 2 years. For them to do so, would have to at least:
1. Get a general manager (which they did).
2. Fill some old positions with good, young talent (which they did).
3. Groom a qb (verdict still out but looking good).

I am still leery in drinking the "purple" kool aid, but man they are fun to watch again. Still sitting there weekly at the end of the games, thinking they will screw it up but they haven't. A number of posters on this thread mentioned how it was possible for the Vikes to turn it around in a short time. I really didn't think it could happen unless the things mentioned above and quite frankly a lot of other things fell into place. It seems this year, they are not making all the stupid mistakes and shooting themselves in the foot. Or, even though they have, they have not imploded afterwards. Maybe drafting character and smarter players is starting to pay off. Also, if you list the Vike's players, there has always been plenty of "star power", but they seem to be doing and saying all the right things. Maybe Frasier is the coach of the future for the Vikes. GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things