NBA

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NBA

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Who wins MVP?
What Team gets a Ring?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: NBA

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:04 am

Favorites have to be Lebron James for MVP and Heat for the title.
I'd like to the see the T-Wolves win it all, obviously that isn't happening so I just want to make sure a few teams don't win it: Lakers, Spurs, maybe some others that don't have a chance.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:12 am

Lebron and Kevin Durant have to be the favorites for MVP. With the shorter schedule I think it benefits older, more expeienced teams. So I would look for Boston, Dallas, San Antonio, and the Lakers to be out front
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 am

MVP: Kevin Durant, OKC
Title Possibilities: Heat, Lakers, Mavs, (my hope is for the OKC to win it all).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 am

I honestly believe Rose Could win MVP again....for LBJ to win it he will have to salute Bye Bye to D-wade and and take over the Reins (which I think we will see)

I Think the Heat win it All after making a few mid-season trades to gather some experience for the playoff run
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Thunder and Hawks are my hope for the NBA title matchup (probably won't happen)...really would love to see the Wolves make it...but I'd be happier if they just won enough to be in playoff contention this season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I really doubt that the Wolves are gonna be anywhere near a title but with Beasley, Williams, Rubio,Love, and Johnson they are gonna be real fun to watch
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:31 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Thunder and Hawks are my hope for the NBA title matchup (probably won't happen)...really would love to see the Wolves make it...but I'd be happier if they just won enough to be in playoff contention this season.

I won't lie, I'd be happier if they were in the NBA Finals than if they were competing for the 8th playoff spot.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 am

Thoughts on Chris Paul trade being rejected to the Lakers??
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:35 am

ndfan wrote:Thoughts on Chris Paul trade being rejected to the Lakers??

Had a feeling!! they need him bad...I think Rhondo would be a better fit for the Lakers than CP3
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:48 pm

I think the owner of the Cavaliers should spend more time trying to make his team better than trying to bring other teams down to his team's level. We have large markets vs small markets in every major pro sport - thats simply the way things are. Gilbert needs to quit whining about the Lakers, etc... and focus on the Cavaliers. I can see why Lebron didn't want to stay with Gilbert's organization.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 pm

The Hornets were getting a real good deal (Odom, Scola, Dragic, and a 1st round pick). Way more than they are gonna get any where else.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I think the owner of the Cavaliers should spend more time trying to make his team better than trying to bring other teams down to his team's level. We have large markets vs small markets in every major pro sport - thats simply the way things are. Gilbert needs to quit whining about the Lakers, etc... and focus on the Cavaliers. I can see why Lebron didn't want to stay with Gilbert's organization.

Gilbert is a total wack Job!! and Lebron knows it
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 am

I like this move by the Thunder.....It may take away from them slightly for a chance at the title this current season but they are young and with all the draft picks coming up they are the team of the future...
lets say after Lebron gets a couple more... 8)

FROM SI:
Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade called the Oklahoma City Thunder’s trade of James Harden to the Houston Rockets “shocking.”

“It was shocking but they made the move they felt was right for them,” Wade said, according to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst.

“It shakes up the West a little bit. I think both team got fair value. I’m not a GM or anything but both teams came out pretty good.”

Wade’s Heat beat the Thunder in five games last season to win the NBA title.

The defending Western Conference champion Thunder stunned much of the NBA world by dealing Harden on Sunday, which broke up Oklahoma City’s young, talented nucleus. In return, the Rockets sent back guards Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb, two first-round picks and a second-round pick.

The Thunder and Harden had been unable to come to an agreement on a multi-year extension that would have kept him locked up along with fellow young stars Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka. The two sides had to agree to a deal by Oct. 31, or Harden would have become a restricted free agent next July.

Harden said Sunday that he expects to sign a long-term extension with the Rockets.

“It happened so fast, it happened very fast,” Harden said. “But this is the position I’m in now. Just have to make the best out of it. I’m with Houston now. I just have to come in here and play hard and win games.”
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

I think its a great move by the Thunder. Setting a precedent that they aren't going to tie up all their money in the "big three" like everyone else is doing. Lamb could turn into a great player, but at the very least be an exellent role player. Martin will do fine adding some scoring off the bench to fill the void left without Harden. The draft picks can be used to reload or trade for a need in the future. I think Harden is a very good player, but definitely not worth a max deal.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Harden on any team isn't going to be considered big three....actually I don't believe in the big three theory BS.....if thats the Case the Lakers where the Big 5 in the day and so were the Celtics....plus they both had severe depth......A Basketball team is a basketball team and with Billionaires Building them they can have anybody they want on their team...its simple

A Coach is more important than any player..Why? he has to get the Player to Buy in, without paying him.

its like this...LeBron stays in Cleveland they pickup a couple of pieces of the puzzle that they wer missing along with a Coach that can unify....they win a Championship (no doubt in my mind)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm

winner-within wrote:I like this move by the Thunder.....It may take away from them slightly for a chance at the title this current season but they are young and with all the draft picks coming up they are the team of the future...

James Harden is 23 how is not signing him a move for the future? and it hurts them way more than slightly in their chance for a title this season. Every laker fan in the country is laughing at OKC for this trade. If OKC really didn't want to pay him why not play out the season and do a sign and trade in the off season?

ndlionsfan wrote:I think its a great move by the Thunder. Setting a precedent that they aren't going to tie up all their money in the "big three" like everyone else is doing. Lamb could turn into a great player, but at the very least be an exellent role player. Martin will do fine adding some scoring off the bench to fill the void left without Harden. The draft picks can be used to reload or trade for a need in the future. I think Harden is a very good player, but definitely not worth a max deal.

Why not have a big three? Those teams have had success.
Martin has one year left on his deal, hurt all the time, and has very little value IMO.
Harden is a top 3 SG in the league right now, in 2 years he could easily be the best there is no reason not to give him a max deal.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 pm

I actually liked the deal for the thunder for this year, not just the future. I am not saying that Kevin Martin is better then or close to the same level as James Harden. BUT I feel that come playoff time if healthy Kevin Martin brings a much needed "Knock Down Shooter" that they will need to stop teams from helping so much in the lane on Westbrook and Durant. Kevin Martin when healthy has been one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:I like this move by the Thunder.....It may take away from them slightly for a chance at the title this current season but they are young and with all the draft picks coming up they are the team of the future...

James Harden is 23 how is not signing him a move for the future? and it hurts them way more than slightly in their chance for a title this season. Every laker fan in the country is laughing at OKC for this trade. If OKC really didn't want to pay him why not play out the season and do a sign and trade in the off season?

ndlionsfan wrote:I think its a great move by the Thunder. Setting a precedent that they aren't going to tie up all their money in the "big three" like everyone else is doing. Lamb could turn into a great player, but at the very least be an exellent role player. Martin will do fine adding some scoring off the bench to fill the void left without Harden. The draft picks can be used to reload or trade for a need in the future. I think Harden is a very good player, but definitely not worth a max deal.

Why not have a big three? Those teams have had success.
Martin has one year left on his deal, hurt all the time, and has very little value IMO.
Harden is a top 3 SG in the league right now, in 2 years he could easily be the best there is no reason not to give him a max deal.

They woulda lost him anyways like Cleveland lost LeBron (and he couldn't carry LeBron's Shoes)...why not get something for him (which they did)....and I will move away from "slightly" to "it doesn't matter anyway because of the HEAT" oh yea, I said that.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:16 pm

The Schwab wrote:I actually liked the deal for the thunder for this year, not just the future. I am not saying that Kevin Martin is better then or close to the same level as James Harden. BUT I feel that come playoff time if healthy Kevin Martin brings a much needed "Knock Down Shooter" that they will need to stop teams from helping so much in the lane on Westbrook and Durant. Kevin Martin when healthy has been one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA

Harden is an excellent three point shooter. As you can tell, i'm a Thunder fan. Don't like the deal. They need Harden to balance the team. He saves them when Durant goes cold (not very often) but mostly he is valuable for when Westbrook is an idiot and they need Harden running the point so Westbrick doesn't touch it. Martin, pretty good player. Lamb, above average role player. 2 first round picks, one lottery from Toronto, on late round from LA. Maybe they hit big with that lottery pick, odds are pretty good that they don't. They were unrealistically lucky that they hit the jackpot 3 years in a row with KD, Westbrick and Harden (not to mention picking up Ibaka at 23). That just doesn't happen.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Winner, Harden would have signed a max deal if OKC would have offered it and if OKC really didn't want him they still could have done a sign trade and got players/picks back in return while maintaining a decent chance to win a title this season.

Indy, your analysis about the draft picks is good.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:20 pm

We all know the Thunder are the Hottest (meaning youngest, most potential) team in the NBA .......I trust Scotty and the GM, Owner have the best insight on what path to take.
I wont be surprised if Westbrook is next.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:16 pm

I think they made a big mistake. I dont see them winning the west anymore this year w/o harden.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm

packers21 wrote:I think they made a big mistake. I dont see them winning the west anymore this year w/o harden.

I think they still have enough talent to do it, but they definitely aren't as good without Harden and their chances decrease a lot.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 am

...they will represent the West next finals I am sure of that
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things