Trevor Wikre's sacrifice to keep playing

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Trevor Wikre's sacrifice to keep playing

Postby old lineman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Senior right gaurd for Mesa State has finger removed to save the balance of his senior year. Great story, great commitment to his team. No doubt about what is left on the field for him after the game.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Trevor Wikre's sacrifice to keep playing

Postby 3nout » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:25 pm

That was a great story. I saw that on ESPN the other day. Those pinkies just get in the way playing o-line anyway.
3nout
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3nout » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Both of these 2 guys probably never played the game. If they did it may not have meant much to them. I played with a kid at VCSU that had his middle finger removed, after it got tangled in a jersey. It's something you consider doing, if playing the game means something to you.
3nout
NDPreps Starter

Postby football guy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:37 am

its seems kind of crazy to do something like that but it just shows his tremendous commitment to the game
football guy

Postby old lineman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:57 pm

A note to Trevor evey linemans dream is to catch the catch, his chances have now been reduced 10 percent
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby somatter » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Crazy. Talk about love for the game. I would sacrifice a finger, too, if I could earn that kind of money for playing my favorite game...
The currency exchange rates, foreign currency, updated graphs and historical data on exchange rates.
somatter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 am

scc wrote:I watched PTI on Tuesday, and I thought it was funny how Kornheiser and Wilbon were both disgusted by this guy getting his pinky removed. Their argument was that it's only D2 football, which I'm sure would offend the D2 fans.

I can agree with them to an extent actually. How many D2 athletes have a realistic shot at professional sports? I didnt see the story, so maybe he does have a chance. But for most D2 and lower athletes their careers are done at 21-22-23 years old. to have a finger removed only to play one more year of football just doesnt seem worth it to me. What is he studying? chances are he will regret not having that finger when he's working a 9-5 job if he doesnt make the league.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I didn't see the story either. But, I don't think it had anything to do with getting to the professional level. I expect that he made the decission to remove the finger because he wanted to continue playing the season with his teammates. I can understand that. I would fully support anyone in making that decission at any college level. It was a finger, not a thumb.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:51 pm

d_fense wrote:I didn't see the story either. But, I don't think it had anything to do with getting to the professional level. I expect that he made the decission to remove the finger because he wanted to continue playing the season with his teammates. I can understand that. I would fully support anyone in making that decission at any college level. It was a finger, not a thumb.

That's my point though. if he doesnt do it for professional reason, and probably knowing this is his last year of football ever, would you really cut off a finger for 8-10 more games while being limited for the rest of your life?

I dont care how much you love something, sometimes the best sacrifice is giving up that thing you love in order to have a better future. just my opinion.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:34 pm

baseball wrote:
d_fense wrote:I didn't see the story either. But, I don't think it had anything to do with getting to the professional level. I expect that he made the decission to remove the finger because he wanted to continue playing the season with his teammates. I can understand that. I would fully support anyone in making that decission at any college level. It was a finger, not a thumb.

That's my point though. if he doesnt do it for professional reason, and probably knowing this is his last year of football ever, would you really cut off a finger for 8-10 more games while being limited for the rest of your life?

I dont care how much you love something, sometimes the best sacrifice is giving up that thing you love in order to have a better future. just my opinion.

This is pretty much like what Ronnie Lott did. I saw a thing about it on the NFL Network and Terrell Davis said " I love football more than anything, but Terrell isn't cutting off any fingers for football" I have to say I agree with him.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:

This is pretty much like what Ronnie Lott did. I saw a thing about it on the NFL Network and Terrell Davis said " I love football more than anything, but Terrell isn't cutting off any fingers for football" I have to say I agree with him.

On the other side of the situation, Terrell Davis having 10 fingers was far more important being a running back then being a lineman. But still, i agree that i wouldnt do it.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Football