Distance Learning/Extra Curriculars

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Distance Learning/Extra Curriculars

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:07 am

Wondering if other school districts are allowing families to choose to use the distance learning route but they are still allowing their children to participate in extra curriculars - specifically sports.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Distance Learning/Extra Curriculars

Postby packers21 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Wondering if other school districts are allowing families to choose to use the distance learning route but they are still allowing their children to participate in extra curriculars - specifically sports.

The ones I know about are, why wouldn’t they ?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Personally I find it incredibly hypocritical. (If you think it is too dangerous to send your kid to school but it is safe to send them to practices and games.) Just my opinion. It is also a great way to telling your kids that sports are more important than school - again just my opinion. I know of a couple of schools who have told their parents that if they do not send their kid to school they will not allow them to participate, not sure of how they would hold up against a law suit.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Personally I find it incredibly hypocritical. (If you think it is too dangerous to send your kid to school but it is safe to send them to practices and games.) Just my opinion. It is also a great way to telling your kids that sports are more important than school - again just my opinion. I know of a couple of schools who have told their parents that if they do not send their kid to school they will not allow them to participate, not sure of how they would hold up against a law suit.

I can see where you are coming from and mostly agree. Especially the law suit part, I don’t think you can do that.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Personally I find it incredibly hypocritical. (If you think it is too dangerous to send your kid to school but it is safe to send them to practices and games.) Just my opinion. It is also a great way to telling your kids that sports are more important than school - again just my opinion. I know of a couple of schools who have told their parents that if they do not send their kid to school they will not allow them to participate, not sure of how they would hold up against a law suit.

I think most outdoor sports are safe(er), not football, but you have to be able to practice outside too. So how many sports is that? cross country.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Flip wrote:

I think most outdoor sports are safe(er), not football, but you have to be able to practice outside too. So how many sports is that? cross country.

Boys Tennis, Boys Soccer, Girls ("A") Golf & Cross Country are fall outdoor sports to go along with Football (XC & FB are the "B" sports).
Indoor Sports are Girls Swimming & Diving & Volleyball (VB being the only "B" Sport)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Football