2020 season and COVID-19

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020 season and COVID-19

Postby NDPREP » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:46 am

Not sure whether every sport has a return to competition committee or if there is one committee for all sports.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 pm

I see its go to start the season but i have few questions about that. First what happens if team has kid test positive how are they going to handle that will that school have shut down for two weeks until they are sure of not having anymore . What does that do to scheduling of games and standings for the regions etc. Second if that kid played a game against another school will the team have to isolate or will they just be tested. We have already seen this in baseball this summer where one town has had positive had to shut down and it effected the region they were playing in. Now we had team that members come down with it and will not play in the playoffs. I just don't see how all this going to work especially for football when playing players are going to have contact for the whole game. There is no sport where people come in contact with each other like football and explain to me how were not going to have transmission . Also what effect will this have on the school to will they be able to continue to have school or will they need to isolate. I guess my big question is or are we going to just let virus take its natural course in the schools and communities as it happens. We are coming to this question as state and nation we are at point where it can't be contained but how do we manage it so that we have ability to care for the people that will need health care to over come this virus. My feeling nobody wants to face that decision so we are left with people on each side of how to handle this fighting and most people knowing we need plan where outcome is not going to be 100% positive for all people but is what is best for majority of the people and we live as close to normal life as possible. Sorry i got off track but i just hate how were dancing around and nobody wants to say what the facts are here.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:48 pm

I have seen several school restart guidelines in varying districts and most of them state if they have 1 positive in a building they will shut that building down for 2 weeks, IF they send kids home for distance learning then there will be no athletics.

Already seeing this in Fargo, they are talking distance learning to start the school year which would mean no athletics there, they are also talking no non region games at that level so EDC stays east WDA stays west.

They just released guidelines:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rVuP8ThM8YG8Cy26RUr577ougZCO016cOKtUbLLMwrU/edit

**edit: I dont see anything too ground breaking in their procedures just recommending things and 6 ft distancess.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Football shouldn't be played this fall. They should have moved it to the spring. Move it to the spring and hope the virus dies down or a vaccine is available.

The one school guideline I read said, shutdown the school for 3 days for 1 case and 14 days for 2 or more cases.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby momofathletes » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Not sure how feasible it would have been to move football to spring. Golf, track & field, and baseball are already played in spring. You can only spread your athletes so thin as many of them are playing sports all year long, especially in Class B. There is no guarantee when sports as we knew it will resume. NDHSAA has given the green light for now but that is only step 1. There is still a long way to go to figure things out. Even if a vaccine were available in 2021 there could be issues with having access to it as well as many who won't take it even it were to be available.
There's No Crying in Basketball
momofathletes
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:20 pm

momofathletes wrote:Not sure how feasible it would have been to move football to spring. Golf, track & field, and baseball are already played in spring. You can only spread your athletes so thin as many of them are playing sports all year long, especially in Class B. There is no guarantee when sports as we knew it will resume. NDHSAA has given the green light for now but that is only step 1. There is still a long way to go to figure things out. Even if a vaccine were available in 2021 there could be issues with having access to it as well as many who won't take it even it were to be available.

You would of moved golf, baseball and possibly track and field to the fall as they can be played more feasibly through social distancing. I’m at the point where if kids are going to be in school they need to have sports.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby magic man » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 pm

packers21 wrote:
momofathletes wrote:Not sure how feasible it would have been to move football to spring. Golf, track & field, and baseball are already played in spring. You can only spread your athletes so thin as many of them are playing sports all year long, especially in Class B. There is no guarantee when sports as we knew it will resume. NDHSAA has given the green light for now but that is only step 1. There is still a long way to go to figure things out. Even if a vaccine were available in 2021 there could be issues with having access to it as well as many who won't take it even it were to be available.

You would of moved golf, baseball and possibly track and field to the fall as they can be played more feasibly through social distancing. I’m at the point where if kids are going to be in school they need to have sports.

Golf should be in the fall anyway.. That and move soccer to the spring.. Just about every team that has Soccer has a turf field, and that clears out much faster than grass...

Golf and Football can survive together in the Fall much better than Soccer and Football. It would clear up a lot of "player" issues, but what do I know?

Delaying football until spring? Makes no sense in ND. Might as well cancel it for the smaller "class" by types, but then again, some of the class b types will then know what it's like to have to compete for athletes (vs baseball) like some others do in the fall (soccer).
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby james » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Yep thats the goal make the "class B types" know what it's like to compete against other sports. We all just keep getting more and more brilliant as we deal with trying to get kids to have athletics.
james
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magic man » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:53 am

james wrote:Yep thats the goal make the "class B types" know what it's like to compete against other sports. We all just keep getting more and more brilliant as we deal with trying to get kids to have athletics.

Yes, especially when you have some of those "class B types" that are put in Class A, with 50 - 60 kids on their roster, and then when you find out that the only other sport they compete against during that season is cross-country..

I feel for the smaller "class B types", but not those that are disguised as class B schools.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Like i said before i don't see how you're going to have football with Covid-19 and expectations of mostly zero policy. I agree that they should have looked at having baseball this fall, track and field sports this fall, and golf. These latter sports would work much easier with expectations and kids are already been playing these sports this summer they would be ready to play and compete in these sports. Hopefully by spring we have made some progress on Covid-19 either in vaccine or ways of treating the virus. Spring football I believe would be possible and especially here in North Dakota beginning of season would deal with worst weather and not end of the season. I always thought baseball and football seasons should have been reversed in North Dakota especially Northern North Dakota because most years we have much better weather in fall to have baseball season and second kids would have been playing the sport in the summer so they would have been ready to play full schedule right away. Football would not be hurt if anything a lot of the players would be shape from basketball season especially for smaller class b schools because these kids usually play multiple sports. The weather overall be as good as it is in fall and would be improving not getting worse as season goes along. The problem would be that wouldn't match up with college football and there recruiting needs but what real reason for the sports is for the colleges or is provide activity for our kids.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:10 pm

If you move football to the Spring...what happens if the snow and weather don’t clear up until Late (May)? Spring sports have had many very short regular seasons in the past...and football doesn’t seem like a fun idea pushing it into June to guarantee a season either. If football moves you are basically running the risk of cancelling football for the whole year (just a thought to consider cause not everyone has turf fields; not sure what the state/schools will choose to do but it seems like they are in a lose-lose situation with any decision that is made).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NDPREP » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 am

Haven't heard anything from 6, 9, or A.... But AA is playing as is, AAA is getting rid of non region games.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 am

NDPREP wrote:Haven't heard anything from 6, 9, or A.... But AA is playing as is, AAA is getting rid of non region games.

I have to believe that for 9 Man, almost all of their games are Region games (maybe 1 non Region game) so I'm not sure what would happen if they had to miss a game due to someone or multiple players on the team testing positive.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:20 pm

According to NDHSAA I believe those count as no contests instead of a forfeit but I don't know how they are going to figure out seedings and the what not if we have a rash of teams missing weeks.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Run4fun2009 your comment on what happens if we have snow until late until May it will be no different than it is for other spring sports that have been now. you will be traveling to areas where they can host these events on fields that are capable of playing plus we do have couple of indoor facilities. The other probabilities is that they won't be played in front of fans so you don't have that problem. I from northern part of state where the baseball teams play pretty much most of schedule either in large cities or southern parts of the state. Also we have had to play football in the snow in fall a lot to finish a season where they pushed off the field and played with snow on side lines. Also your comment they could loose their season if moved to the spring what about spring sports they already have lost one season and if this is problem till next spring we will have lost two seasons. Football hasn't lost season and if did loose season it would be any different than other sports. I guess i get little upset when something may happen to football in my mind these other sports are just important as is football. To my thinking we need to get over what is traditional here and what will work best and fit into criteria of keeping kids as safe as possible and we can complete a season without closing down our schools. I just don't see how we can do this with football right now and you tell me how this is going to be done with basically zero tolerance policy if someone gets infected because of nature of how the sport is played. I hate to be negative to the parade but these are just common sense facts. PS. I think volleyball may have to look at regional play only games no weekend tournaments or out of region play games if its going to get a season in for one of the other fall sports.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:15 pm

I hate to say it, but I think sports are what will close our schools down again and force them into distance learning. When someone from one team tests positive after playing another team a few days earlier, etc.... I really, really, really hope I'm wrong on this one.

We have families who say they are going to chose to keep their kids home and do distance learning due to the risk of getting Covid-19, but they are going to have their kids participate in sports this fall - someone explain that one to me.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I hate to say it, but I think sports are what will close our schools down again and force them into distance learning. When someone from one team tests positive after playing another team a few days earlier, etc.... I really, really, really hope I'm wrong on this one.

I agree and I think the main cause will be football. I just don't think it is safe right now.

random rant: lose and loose are not the same word.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am

With participation in this year's sports seasons up to the local school boards, have any schools decided to not participate? I have heard of a couple that may not be holding sports this fall but nothing confirmed at this point.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Run4fun2009 your comment on what happens if we have snow until late until May it will be no different than it is for other spring sports that have been now. you will be traveling to areas where they can host these events on fields that are capable of playing plus we do have couple of indoor facilities.

With Baseball, you can double up and play several games within a few days, which you cannot do with football. Same thing with Soccer and some other spring (or should be Spring) sports.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:11 pm

MN just moved football to spring, what happens if the fargo schools close up and cancel their seasons to start? Does NDHSAA just forfeit those games and it becomes a WEST and GF league? Do they shutter the whole AAA division down?

MN moving football does it put pressure on Fargo? Or does it open the door for some MN football studs to hop the border?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm

NDPREP wrote:MN moving football does it put pressure on Fargo? Or does it open the door for some MN football studs to hop the border?

I doubt MN moving football to the spring will have any impact on Fargo.

I suppose it would be possible to play FB this fall in ND, have your family move to MN, and then play another season in MN.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3on3 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm

As of today the death rate in ND for Covid for folks who are less than 80 years old is 0.38%. I say open up the schools and sports. For the most "dangerous and deadly" virus the world has ever seen it sure seems people are becoming less and less afraid and I am fine with that! Only a vaccine or November 4th will make this go away IMO.
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 3on3 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:30 pm

The death rate for individuals 0-69 years old is 0.07%.
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:03 pm

3on3 wrote:As of today the death rate in ND for Covid for folks who are less than 80 years old is 0.38%. I say open up the schools and sports. For the most "dangerous and deadly" virus the world has ever seen it sure seems people are becoming less and less afraid and I am fine with that! Only a vaccine or November 4th will make this go away IMO.

Who are you quoting when you say "dangerous and deadly"?

Just because you survive doesn't automatically mean you're 100% for life. We have no idea what the long term effects of the disease are.

Where did you get 0.38% from? I got a number a little higher when I figured it out from the NDDOH website.

Easily accessible vaccine and a few months of average leadership would do wonders for this the US.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3on3 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:20 pm

I got the numbers from the same site your referenced. I used the actual number of deaths from covid, not the total deaths from people who died with covid. The "D&D" quote comes from all the terms the media uses on a daily basis. Long term effects my guess would be very minimal if any. We got the leadership in place, he just gets fought every step of the way. It'll be nice to see Durham clean some of the swamp up. If you don't want the Chinah virus, stay home. Pretty simple. Carry on....
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Football