2020 season and COVID-19

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020 season and COVID-19

Postby Sleepy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I have rescheduled 60+ matches and games so far this fall...Statewide and most have occurred in the past week or so...this will continue. It'll be interesting to see where we are at when VB & FB postseasons begin.

What options will there be if a team is quarantined during the postseason? You can't postpone a tournament or playoff game for 14 days. What can be done besides a forfeit?
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Sleepy wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:I have rescheduled 60+ matches and games so far this fall...Statewide and most have occurred in the past week or so...this will continue. It'll be interesting to see where we are at when VB & FB postseasons begin.

What options will there be if a team is quarantined during the postseason? You can't postpone a tournament or playoff game for 14 days. What can be done besides a forfeit?

No idea...that is a question for the NDHSAA, not me.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NDPREP » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:08 am

From what I have heard there will be no postponements and no team will be brought into the playoffs because of a forfeit. So say the #4 team gets covid and has to cancel their first round game the #5 team will not be brought in. The game will just be a forfeit and the team left will move on.

Sounds like each division has say over that though, it isnt an NDHSAA decision.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Every day 11 teenagers are killed while texting and driving. There is a 11 kids that die each day from drug overdose in the United States of America. Plus the the 100,000 that are injured and hospitalized because of the above two.
Yes Covid not cool for these kids but so does Mono and the Flu.... I believe more kids have killed themselves from depression. I believe once the numbers come out it will far exceed any deaths caused from the disease.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Coaches, Just don't have the kids tested, easy solution, if you get sick stay home til you feel better,that is what the whole state should do. If get sick stay home, my god not that hard to figure out.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:04 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Coaches, Just don't have the kids tested, easy solution, if you get sick stay home til you feel better,that is what the whole state should do. If get sick stay home, my god not that hard to figure out.

Until a classmate tests positive and names half the football team as close contacts or you have a few cases at school that cause the school to go distance learning. Pretty irresponsible to tell your players not to get tested. You say that in the right school district you would get fired.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:34 am

stop getting tested north dakota
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby james » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:51 am

Sad part about the whole deal is some schools strictly follow all protocols and have kids lose the chance to play in games because of quarantine, while other schools bend the rules and continue to allow kids to play even though they should be quarantined. I think its a sad state of affairs but it is happening.
james
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:32 am

New mask mandate is a big deal for schools and sports.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:51 pm

james wrote:Sad part about the whole deal is some schools strictly follow all protocols and have kids lose the chance to play in games because of quarantine, while other schools bend the rules and continue to allow kids to play even though they should be quarantined. I think its a sad state of affairs but it is happening.

So true. Unfortunately I believe a large number of coaches are telling their players to not get tested no matter how horrible they feel. (Not just football, but VB as well) Then these kids come to school and spread it to non-athletes and who knows who else. In my opinion it is really a sad comment on those coaches who are encouraging their athletes to not get tested and who are placing sports over the health of others in their community.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:00 pm

A student who has not felt well for a while now refused to get tested because their coaches told them not to because it would "screw over the whole team". They finally became sick enough that they got tested and they tested positive. Now over half of their classmates (who did not play) are in quarantine because of this. (and a few kids from another class also) So because they did not want to "screw over the whole team" they "screwed over" a number of kids who are not on the team, but are classmates or friends. Nice. Apparently "the team" is more important than non-team members. And guess what, the team is also "screwed over" because of them being in practice and at games while they were sick. Real nice.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:24 pm

Thats terrible to hear and probably just made it worse, now you lose 2 weeks of kids coming up on playoffs real quick...

If you as an adult are telling kids to not get tested you should be losing your contact with them.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
james wrote:Sad part about the whole deal is some schools strictly follow all protocols and have kids lose the chance to play in games because of quarantine, while other schools bend the rules and continue to allow kids to play even though they should be quarantined. I think its a sad state of affairs but it is happening.

So true. Unfortunately I believe a large number of coaches are telling their players to not get tested no matter how horrible they feel. (Not just football, but VB as well) Then these kids come to school and spread it to non-athletes and who knows who else. In my opinion it is really a sad comment on those coaches who are encouraging their athletes to not get tested and who are placing sports over the health of others in their community.

I don't think it is a large number. Every coach I know is telling kids if you don't feel well stay home we are better safe than sorry. They are the ones pushing as hard as anybody for mask use of their athletes at schools so they get a chance to keep playing. Is it probably happening with someone somewhere? Ya probably, but to say it is a large number I think is inaccurate and unfair. Coaches are as concerned about it as any other group I know, most of them are teachers and sure as heck don't want to end up back online. I hate this habit people have of taking guesses about it or because they know one coach or team that it has happened on saying it is a large number or everyone.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Football