Badlands Bowl

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Badlands Bowl

Postby ndfootball14 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Who is participating in it this year, and what school are they from.
ndfootball14
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Badlands Bowl

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Maybe a down year for top talent in ND, but we still lost 65-0.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Don't athletes have to choose between Badlands, Shrine and Lions (BB)

That can widdle down the talent as well...not sure what rules or how many all-star games MT has
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Don't athletes have to choose between Badlands, Shrine and Lions (BB)

That can widdle down the talent as well...not sure what rules or how many all-star games MT has

Without looking more than 60 seconds I see Michael Kelly, from Oakes, is on both football rosters from last year. I'll look a little deeper later.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby twillis75 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Don't athletes have to choose between Badlands, Shrine and Lions (BB)

The players can play in both games. There were multiple players who were chosen to play in and will participate in both.

That MT team was good. Really good. I believe there were 14 DI players vs the 5(?) from ND. That game was tough to watch.
twillis75
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cmplx6 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:41 pm

There is either a complete lack of talent in ND compared to MT, or the coaching is inferior in ND compared to MT, or both. There were some talented kids that were not on the ND roster, who knows for what reason.

Maybe all these "All-Star" Games should be done at the all-state meetings. Where coaches can discuss players with the season fresh on their mind.

Maybe the ND team could be more serious about the game. If you look at the MT roster, you can see how they organized their team.

Or maybe Montana is just better.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:37 am

I don't want to criticize too much but watching the game ND's defense wasn't a great scheme match up vs what MT ran. A 4-4 defense against a shotgun 4 wide offense ends up putting LBs onto slot receivers with 1 high safety for help. In an all star game I expect them all to be good/great athletes for their position, but that isn't a match up I want to feature as a defense.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby twillis75 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

There were some players from ND that didn't play for various reasons. Some are just done with football altogether while some had prior commitments. It is what it is.

MT really pours their heart and soul into this game. It really means a lot to them. And more power to them for it.

They also had a VERY talented team and their schemes were set up to make them succeed. ND kept trying to run behind a large offensive line but when you stack the box and your corners can play man as well as they did, well, ND was doomed for a long day.....
twillis75
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mandan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:13 pm

When North Dakota has been competitive in the past, or more especially when they have won, it has been with a head coach that is more innovative, more open to modern football. Scott Grochow may be a great guy from all I've heard, but I think he is too old school to win this game. It feels like he got this as a retirement present, but whoever selects the coaches needs to start selecting more based on who is more innovative and able to put together a scheme that can win.

Having said all that, there is a talent gap. Montana has a larger population overall, so they have a larger number of talented kids. But I feel the right ND kids and the right coaches can still win this game.
They just won in 2014, so that is not that long ago.

They do have roster archives on their web site. http://badlandsbowl.com/
Coaches aren't listed, unfortunately.

When they won in 2010, they had 5 interceptions. I think that might have been a Rod Oksendahl year. 2014 may have been Jay Gibson? I'm completely guessing on that one.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Return to Football