2013-14 Football Plan?

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2013-14 Football Plan?

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:29 am

Not sure how widely known this is but it feels worth mentioning that it appears as if an application will be submitted for a football co-op between Edgeley-Kulm and Ellendale to begin play next year. If the application is submitted as currently planned and is accepted, the EEK Thunder (a co-op already exists for wrestling) would play in 11A. Both programs are currently dealing with serious number issues. How this would impact the make up and structure of 9 man Region 1 next year is unknown (not sure what other teams may be moving up or down).
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Re: Region 1 - 2012

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 am

EHS1998 wrote:Not sure how widely known this is but it feels worth mentioning that it appears as if an application will be submitted for a football co-op between Edgeley-Kulm and Ellendale to begin play next year. If the application is submitted as currently planned and is accepted, the EEK Thunder (a co-op already exists for wrestling) would play in 11A. Both programs are currently dealing with serious number issues. How this would impact the make up and structure of 9 man Region 1 next year is unknown (not sure what other teams may be moving up or down).

(according to the NDHSAA 2013-14 Football Enrollment Numbers: http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/13_14_FB_Pl ... umbers.pdf)

This is how I think the regions will fill out (with the Ellendale-EK co-op) through all Classes:

Changes will be italicized

CLASS AAA - No Changes
East
West Fargo
Fargo Davies
GF Red River
Fargo South
Fargo North
GF Central
Devils Lake

West
Minot
Bismarck
Century
Mandan
Williston
Jamestown
Dickinson

CLASS AA
East
Wahpeton
Valley City
Fargo Shanley
Grafton
Central Cass
Kindred
Maple Valley-Enderlin
Lisbon

West
Turtle Mountain
St. Mary's
Beulah
Watford City
Dickinson Trinity
Bishop Ryan (Opt Up)
Griggs/Barnes County - switch divisions
Stanley-Powers Lake

CLASS A
Region 1
Hillsboro-Central Valley
May-Port-CG
Ellendale-EK
Carrington
Northern Cass
Oakes
Kidder County
Milnor-North Sargent - Opt Up

Region 2
Rugby
Larimore
Langdon-Munich
Midway-Minto
Harvey-Wells County
Park River-FL
North Border
North Prairie

Region 3
Hazen
Southern McLean
Garrison-Max
Heart River
Standing Rock
New Salem-Glen Ullin
Grant County-Flasher
Bowman County

Region 4
Berthold-Our Redeemer's
Des Lacs-Burlington
Williams County
Bottineau
Surrey
Central McLean
Killdeer - Same class, New Region
Velva - Opt Up

9-Man
Region 1
Oak Grove - could fill in Region 1 or Region 2
Linton-HMB - might opt up...unsure
LaMoure-LM
Richland
Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter
Hankinson
South Border
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Sargent Central
Strasburg/Zeeland

Region 2
Oak Grove - could fill in Region 1 or Region 2
Thompson
Drayton-Valley/Edinburg - played JV schedule in 2012
Cavalier
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
Hatton-Northwood
New Rockford-Sheyenne
Dakota Prairie
Lakota-Adams-Edmore

Region 3
Kenmare-Bowbells
Benson County
Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn
TGU
Dunseith - sat out in 2012
Four Winds
Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood
North Star
Tri-County
St. John

Region 4
New Town
Richardton-Taylor-Hebron
Hettinger-Scranton
Beach
Shiloh Christian
Trenton-Trinity Christian
Parshall-White Shield
Divide County
Mott-Regent
Center-Stanton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2013-14 Football Plan?

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 am

feel free to put out your theory on regions also...that is just what I figured would work best with the numbers given
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 am

scc wrote:I think some regions could change drastically from a geographic sense.

I'd like to see Class A Region 2 look something like this:
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Langdon-Munich
Larimore
May-Port CG
Midway-Minto
North Border
Northern Cass
Park River-Fordville-Lankin

This would be nice for these teams but try to do the whole state and be fair about travel, and balance.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 pm

If GBC ends up getting placed in the west AA region, I can see some changes in the co-op happening. Those are some awful long road trips for a bunch of small towns/schools to handle. I'm also shocked to see Newtown possibly dropping to A.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:If GBC ends up getting placed in the west AA region, I can see some changes in the co-op happening. Those are some awful long road trips for a bunch of small towns/schools to handle. I'm also shocked to see Newtown possibly dropping to A.

If Ellendale and E-K end up co-oping...New Town is the next lowest enrollment (besides Velva who wants to play up). If Ellendale & E-K don't co-op then things get kinda messy with my "plan"
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:02 pm

What year did ND go to 4 classes and how many teams were there at that time?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:33 pm

I think it was 1997. Considering the number of co-ops in the last 5 years, I can't imagine what the number of teams was at that time. But last year the NDHSAA sent a survey to all fball schools and something like 83% opposed going back to 3 classes.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:If GBC ends up getting placed in the west AA region, I can see some changes in the co-op happening. Those are some awful long road trips for a bunch of small towns/schools to handle. I'm also shocked to see Newtown possibly dropping to A.

If Ellendale and E-K end up co-oping...New Town is the next lowest enrollment (besides Velva who wants to play up). If Ellendale & E-K don't co-op then things get kinda messy with my "plan"

I'm sure you're right. Just hard to believe being in the middle of oil country and everything.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote: If Ellendale & E-K don't co-op then things get kinda messy with my "plan"

It seems like the co-op is likely to happen. At this point the only thing that would hold up the co-op would be if the application is denied by the NDHSAA. The Ellendale school board voted for it last night, Edgeley is voting this evening I believe and Kulm on Thursday. From what I have heard, EK is fully supported of this. If it does go through, hopefully all three communities can come together on this.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby footballchicken » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm

my 2 cents

Scrap AA all together

Have an 11man Class A (now AAA)
Have an 11man Class B (now AA and some A schools)

Have 9man A (smaller A schools and larger 9man)
Have 9man B (the rest of the schools)

main reason behind having 2 9 man classes is to maybe stop eliminating all the co-ops of all the small schools. a team that fields 15 kids can play 9man B and compete (hopefully), rather then just shopping for the nearest co-op which will bump them up to our current 11man Class A.

jsut a thought
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:20 pm

All 3 school boards, (Edgeley, Kulm and Ellendale) have passed the co-op proposal. The application is being submitted to the NDHSAA this week. Does anyone know when these applications are considered and approved or not approved? What does that process look like?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Run, addressing your realignment, I have heard that Lisbon will be moving to AA West instead of Griggs/Barnes.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:21 pm

Indy5 wrote:Run, addressing your realignment, I have heard that Lisbon will be moving to AA West instead of Griggs/Barnes.

so those two would switch...I just knew someone would have to be making the switch
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Mailman_25 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Indy5 wrote:Run, addressing your realignment, I have heard that Lisbon will be moving to AA West instead of Griggs/Barnes.

Where did you hear that Lisbon would be moving west? That makes absolutely no sense at all!

Bypassing GBC, Valley City, Enderlin-Maple Valley and probably Central Cass to move the smallest school in Class AA West would be criminal of the NDHSAA. Lisbon's closest region game would be 3 hours away!
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:47 pm

It's not any closer for GBC, either. Maybe that is part of the reason why Carrington dropped PBK so they could slip back to A and have decent road trips. Too bad there is not another school large enough out west to go up to AA to balance things out.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mailman_25 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 am

ndlionsfan wrote:It's not any closer for GBC, either. Maybe that is part of the reason why Carrington dropped PBK so they could slip back to A and have decent road trips. Too bad there is not another school large enough out west to go up to AA to balance things out.

Well, not exactly.

Distance to Bismarck according to Google Maps (we all know Valley City is not going west)

Wimbledon: 131
Valley City: 135
Rogers: 137
Cooperstown: 166
Enderlin: 174
Casselton: 175
Lisbon: 182
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Mailman_25 wrote:

Where did you hear that Lisbon would be moving west? That makes absolutely no sense at all!

Bypassing GBC, Valley City, Enderlin-Maple Valley and probably Central Cass to move the smallest school in Class AA West would be criminal of the NDHSAA. Lisbon's closest region game would be 3 hours away!

Heard it from a West coach. Just a rumor. Nothing set in stone.

As for your remark about Lisbon being the smallest school, size has nothing to do with this.

This wouldn't be fun for Lisbon, but you have to realize it's a bad situation for whichever team gets moved west, not just Lisbon.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:It's not any closer for GBC, either. Maybe that is part of the reason why Carrington dropped PBK so they could slip back to A and have decent road trips. Too bad there is not another school large enough out west to go up to AA to balance things out.

I agree. It'd be really nice if Bottineau or Rugby would stay up to keep things even. Hazen would be another school big enough, with a good enough tradition to be able to compete.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Here's the latest draft for 2013-14 (9/18/12)

CLASS AAA
East - 7 teams
West Fargo
Fargo Davies
GF Red River
Fargo South
Fargo North
GF Central
Devils Lake

West - 7 teams
Minot
Bismarck
Century
Mandan
Williston
Jamestown
Dickinson

CLASS AA
East - 8 teams
Wahpeton
Valley City
Fargo Shanley
Grafton
Central Cass
Kindred
Maple Valley-Enderlin
Lisbon

West - 8 teams
Turtle Mountain
St. Mary's
Griggs/Barnes County-PBK
Beulah
Watford City
Dickinson Trinity
Stanley-Powers Lake
Bishop Ryan - OPT UP

CLASS A
Region 1 - 8 teams
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Larimore
Ellendale-EK
May-Port-CG
Carrington
Northern Cass
Oakes
Kidder County

Region 2 - 8 teams
Rugby
Bottineau
Langdon-Munich
Midway-Minto
Lakota-Adams-Edmore/Dakota Prairie
Park River-FL
North Border
North Prairie

Region 3 - 8 teams
Berthold-Our Redeemer's
Des Lacs-Burlington
Williams County
Garrison-Max
Harvey-Wells County
Surrey
Central McLean
Velva

Region 4 - 8 teams
Hazen
Southern McLean
Heart River
Standing Rock
New Salem-Glen Ullin
Killdeer
Grant County-Flasher
Bowman County

9-Man
Region 1 - 9 teams
Linton-HMB
Milnor-North Sargent
LaMoure-LM
Napoleon-Gackle-Streeter
Hankinson
South Border
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Sargent Central
Strasburg/Zeeland

Region 2 - 9 teams
Oak Grove
Thompson
Richland
Drayton/Valley-Edinburg
Cavalier
Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page
Hatton-Northwood
New Rockford-Sheyenne
Four Winds

Region 3 - 10 teams
Kenmare-Bowbells
Benson County
Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn
TGU
Dunseith
Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood
North Star
Tri-County
Divide County
St. John

Region 4 - 9 teams
Richardton-Taylor-Hebron
Hettinger-Scranton
Beach
Shiloh Christian
Trenton-Trinity Christian
New Town
Parshall-White Shield
Mott-Regent
Center-Stanton
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 am

Just read about the LAE/DP co-op in the Herald today. But I also read that Adams is voting on consolidating with Park River next year. If that vote passes, do enough Adams kids come off that enrollment number to drop back to 9man?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Just read about the LAE/DP co-op in the Herald today. But I also read that Adams is voting on consolidating with Park River next year. If that vote passes, do enough Adams kids come off that enrollment number to drop back to 9man?

Looking at the numbers...I don't think so
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Nodak21 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 am

are you sure both Linton and MNS are coming down to 9-man and joining region 1?
Nodak21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Nodak21 wrote:are you sure both Linton and MNS are coming down to 9-man and joining region 1?

no...this is only a draft from the NDHSAA...I've heard from a source that both are going to opt up
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby heimer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Mailman_25 wrote:

Well, not exactly.

Distance to Bismarck according to Google Maps (we all know Valley City is not going west)

Wimbledon: 131
Valley City: 135
Rogers: 137
Cooperstown: 166
Enderlin: 174
Casselton: 175
Lisbon: 182

I love this post. Let's calculate only the mileage to Bismarck to make a point. Did you bother to check the mileage to, oh, I don't know, say Beulah, Watford City, Stanley, Minot Ryan and Belcourt, you know, like 70% of the west region?

I feel bad that GBC is going to be west, but they were the logical choice for the move. They are closer to almost all of the region than Valley City.

In 2011's plan, the football board tried to shaft VC by moving them west instead of GBC, then dealing with the situation of Fargo Oak Grove remaining AA. A member of the football committee told me there was no rationale for moving Valley City instead of GBC. They just decided to do it.

Another screwjob of Valley City, likely payback for disrupting their Class "B" utopia with the 2009-10 basketball season. And this is how the NDHSAA operates, with backroom politics and screwjobs.

They got this one right, but only because they got a second chance at it. Between GBC and VC, GBC is the rightful team to take the west assignment. Frankly, they could fix this issue with smaller classes and schedules of everyone playing everyone. Until they do that, this is the way it is.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Football