Game of the Week (5) - Bismarck High @ Fargo South

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who will win the Game of the Week (5)?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Bismarck High Demons
11%
Fargo South Bruins
89%

Total votes : 9

Game of the Week (5) - Bismarck High @ Fargo South

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Game of the Week for 12/22/08 to 12/28/08.

5 -- Bismarck High Demons (7-0) [T#4] at Fargo South Bruins (5-0-1) [T#1] -- 2
(brackets represent ranking based on conference points as of 12/22/08)

Representing the first EDC versus WDA match up featured in the Game of the Week, the undefeated Bismarck Demons (7-0) take on the undefeated Fargo South Bruins (5-0-1) in a clash of east and west to determine who still has a chance at a perfect season.

The Demons enter this game with a perfect record through seven games against WDA competition, as well as Fargo North and West Fargo earlier in the season. The Demons are averaging 6 goals per game while only allowing 2 against. Bismark is lead by a large sum of senior forwards as well as a strong defensive core. Bismarck will be relying on a strong offense and a solid defense in order to stump the Bruins in this contest.

The Bruins enter this game with an undefeated record through 6 games. The Bruins have played against notable Minnesota competition (Moorhead, White Bear Lake) as well as two eastern powerhouses Grafton Park River and Central. This game will be their first against WDA competition, and likely the most difficult WDA team to play. South is lead by a large and fluid defensive core as well as a quick offense. The strongest link to the Bruins so far this year has been their goaltender Scott Buchholz who has nearly a 95% save average, and South will look to him to come up big yet again in this match up.

Bismarck and Fargo South met twice last year, and can lead us to believe that this match up between the two will be just as even. Bismarck beat Fargo South last year in an exhibition match in Bismarck, where the Demons showed their offensive prowess and buried 6 goals to two-up the Bruins 6-4. However, in the state 3rd place game they met again. Fargo South came out on top with a 3-2 win over the Demons to end the season.

(Left unpinned to avoid messing up the threads already pinned in this section)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: Game of the Week (5) - Bismarck High @ Fargo South

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Bismark wins a rather unimpressive game 5-2. Take this as excuses if you will, I'm just taken aback by South's coaching. South looked very, very underwhelming and were playing players that I have literally never even heard of. South didn't play Scott Buchholz and several of their best players weren't on the ice, even though they had to know that Bismarck would be coming to win a game. Seems very unreal that a coaching staff would do this. Bismark didn't impress me at all. They played a very simple dump and chase and whenever there was any pressure on them at all they just iced the puck.

Maybe it was a Christmas break that slowed the teams down, but that was not the game I was expecting. Congratulations to Bismarck, if that's the kind of competition that South is willing to put forth, I see Bismarck holding up the state championship trophy in February. South was doing so well, and they obviously changed something for the definite worst over the break.

I know I'm taking away from Bismarck's win, but I am seriously disappointed in Fargo South's performance, and don't think South's performance is how North Dakota should be represented.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby king1869 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:04 pm

ya south coach switched up everything.. A VERY dumb move on his part.. idk why he would do that. bismarck was pretty much playing souths jv team.. congrats to them.. if they play again with souths actual team instead of 7 JVS getting playing time and starting their backup goalie it will be a blow out no doubt.
king1869
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ssayler13 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:57 pm

king1869 wrote:ya south coach switched up everything.. A VERY dumb move on his part.. idk why he would do that. bismarck was pretty much playing souths jv team.. congrats to them.. if they play again with souths actual team instead of 7 JVS getting playing time and starting their backup goalie it will be a blow out no doubt.

I dont know how you can say it would be a blow considering they just lost to them? I know they didnt play all of there starters, but you have to give Bismarck a little more credit than that. I think Bismarck might actually show up this year in the tournament, it could be interesting come tournament time especially if BHS comes into it undefeated. They seem to have a pretty solid team, and apperently the competition in the East is down this year, compared to previuous seasons.
ssayler13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby king1869 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:28 pm

I dont know how you can say it would be a blow considering they just lost to them? I know they didnt play all of there starters, but you have to give Bismarck a little more credit than that. I think Bismarck might actually show up this year in the tournament, it could be interesting come tournament time especially if BHS comes into it undefeated. They seem to have a pretty solid team, and apperently the competition in the East is down this year, compared to previuous seasons.[/quote]

Bismark didnt look good at all.. all they did was shoot the puck down the ice everytime they were in trouble. If bismarck even gets passed the 1st round in the state tournament and have to play south, i bet its more than a 4 goal game. my opinion tho thats a long ways away could be more
king1869
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:16 am

Good For Demons... Though lets hope that this is a precursor to the end of the year.
We thought that last year too(Bis.Demons showing off with only one loss to GPR in regular season), but didn't impress anyone at the State tourney.
I was at that game South vs. Bis. for 3rd place. South was a completely better team in that game, then when south played in Bis. regular season.
If all our hopes are pinned on the Demons for the state tourney, oh boy here we go again.
Prediction: West wins one game in first round again and that is it. I hpe it is not that way, but until we shore things up, the west is not placing any higher than 4th at State tourney.

the West needs to get the youth playing more and better Comp--from Sqrts-to Pee Wees-to Bantams, before they can have Championship teams at State High School.
Just my thoughts.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Hockey