Top goalies in the 08/09

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Top goalies in the 08/09

Postby sweeper » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Favre#1 wrote:What about the east goalies?

The east looks like this:
Grafton: Eric Monsebroten, was good for Grafton last year, played almost every game.
Red River: Aaron Meland, played a few games last year, wasn't really tested.
Central: Derek Fuller/Seth Lang, both played well last year, battle for the #1.
Devils Lake: Chase Freidig, played a few games last year, not much of a team in front of him.
South: Scott Buchholz, may be one of the best in the east/state, played alot, and played well.
North: Jake Labernik, played a lot last year, will play more with Akiens gone.
Shanley: Chris Stokke, do not know if he played much last year, no team in front of him.
West: Cole Peterson/Jackson Erbstoesser, neither played much at all last year.
Wahpeton: I don't know if they even have a goalie this year?
sweeper
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

sweeper wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:For the west heres what its looking like.
BHS- No underclassmen touched the crease
CHS-Soph. jared hruby played 5 periods, 3 aginst minot gave up 4, gave up 9 to St. cloud cathedral in 2 periods played
Bott-Darwin Getzlaff Sr. i feel he is looking good, but he needs offense!!!
Dicky-Joel otto, Sr. played 8 periods behind kovacs, i have herd nothing but good stuff about this kid i think he may lead dicky.
HB-Preston Landenberger jr. whether he is good or bad he has nothing in front of him has 16 periods under his belt
JTN- Austin lindberg- Sr. 70 periods played looks like he will be the best in the west!!!
Mdn-lost 2 seniors, rember watching their jv games goalies very weak point there.
Minot-darren medler soph played 6 periods thats about all i got there.
Willy-mccade evenson-jr. 72 periods looks pretty good to me but his d may not be there this year?
Thats what i got on west goalies, open for debate!

Lindberg may be the best in the west this year, but didn't J-town loose a lot of players from last year?.... without a team he's going to have to be very strong in net for J-town to compete in the state tourney.

They lost 7 and still have Piamont (sp?) wo is i would say easily mr. hockey canidate this year he can play! and i dont know if you noticed but its lookin pretty bleak in the state for the amount of talent there will be this year, dont get me wrong but imo there will be dramatically less than in years past.
I honestly think they should have GPR and RR play a 7 game series for the title.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:21 am

sweeper wrote:
CHS-Soph. jared hruby played 5 periods, 3 aginst minot gave up 4, gave up 9 to St. cloud cathedral in 2 periods played
Dicky-Joel otto, Sr. played 8 periods behind kovacs, i have herd nothing but good stuff about this kid i think he may lead dicky.
HB-Preston Landenberger jr. whether he is good or bad he has nothing in front of him has 16 periods under his belt
JTN- Austin lindberg- Sr. 70 periods played looks like he will be the best in the west!!!
Mdn-lost 2 seniors, rember watching their jv games goalies very weak point there.
Willy-mccade evenson-jr. 72 periods looks pretty good to me but his d may not be there this year?

Lindberg may be the best in the west this year, but didn't J-town loose a lot of players from last year?.... without a team he's going to have to be very strong in net for J-town to compete in the state tourney.

Thanks for the information. Nice to see a little background on what each school has returning. Only mistake is that Jamestown's goalies name is Tyler Lindberg, not Austin. They have another goalie that saw a little varsity time last year and his name was Austin Hoggarth, I'm sure that's where the confustion on his name came from.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
sweeper wrote:

Thanks for the information. Nice to see a little background on what each school has returning. Only mistake is that Jamestown's goalies name is Tyler Lindberg, not Austin. They have another goalie that saw a little varsity time last year and his name was Austin Hoggarth, I'm sure that's where the confustion on his name came from.

Ohh ya thats my fault, Austin is Tylers lil brother great at motocross. But yes it is Tyler
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:37 am

I tell you that otto at dickinson is the TOP Goalie in the State. in my opinion.
he never got much time because of Kovacs.(but Otto was a step ahead of Kovacs in the 90 selects a year ago)
He was just as good last year and will be an excellent goal stopper for them this year.
i see dicky-town-- making noise this year in the whole state.
Otto- pipes'
Frenzel- points
Little kovacs- tough D-man.

other than GPR and GFRR maybe GFC.
nobody else has three top players. Including a goalie like Otto.

Just my opinion.
I can not wait for the NEW Season!
Here in the West we will see a changing of the gaurd.

how many guys are playing this fall-- in Leagues-- Midwest HS Elite League, or Elite 2 league?
those guys seem to excel in the season too.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Sportshound wrote:I tell you that otto at dickinson is the TOP Goalie in the State. in my opinion.
he never got much time because of Kovacs.(but Otto was a step ahead of Kovacs in the 90 selects a year ago)
He was just as good last year and will be an excellent goal stopper for them this year.
Otto- pipes'
Frenzel- points

Just my opinion.

how many guys are playing this fall-- in Leagues-- Midwest HS Elite League, or Elite 2 league?

Let's crown the kid the top goalie in the state when he's had more than 7 periods of Varsity experience against the middle to lower end teams. Shanley, Bottineau, Wahpeton is the majority of his Varsity hockey experience. I hope you are right, and he is as solid as you say. I guess the season will determine that.
I also think you forgot Fargo South in your assessment about nobody having 3 top players like Otto, Frenzel, and Kovacs. They return at least 3 defensemen that are just as good (Narveson, Burdick, Hooey), and a pretty good goalie (Buchholz). South is pretty much a lock to make the state tournament in the east, while Dickinson is probably a bubble team coming out of the west. My pick, I'm going out on a limb and picking South over Dickinson.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Olgrz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Sportshound wrote:I tell you that otto at dickinson is the TOP Goalie in the State. in my opinion.
Otto- pipes'
Frenzel- points

Just my opinion.

I hope your not subjected to any drug tests at work after that post.
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:19 pm

This doesn't sound much like the Sportshound I know. However, I don't know much about the West, which I concede. Otto, however, only played 2 1/2 games last year and pulled a 85% save average on ~90 shots. That's not impressive to me. He played against Shanley, Bismark High, Bottineau, and Wahpeton. Don't believe he played more than a period in any of those games.

Otto- pipes'
Frenzel- points

I'm definitely going to have to agree with Sioux4Ever on this one. You didn't include FS on your list, so I'll compare Dickinson to FS. Dickinson have 6 players above 10 points, 5 of which are available to play next year. Fargo South has 12 players that have more than 10 points, and 8 of them will be returning. This also excludes Grant Narveson (who got injured at some point during the season and only got 3 games under his belt in the entire season, but still got 5 points). Also, Otto has less than 3 games played (none of them which lasted the entire game), whereas Scott Buchholz played the entirety of 15 games and 2/3 of another game. He ended with All-State honors, the best goalie statistics in the state, and obviously has a lot of depth in front of him. Considering 5 out of the 9 players that South will have returning with a significant amount of points and playtime are defensemen (David Burdick, Matt Wagner, Danny Lueke, Josh Hooey, Grant Narveson), and this is a defense oriented thread, I figure you shouldn't overlook teams like that. :oops:

I believe I could have put Fargo North in this same category. They have a lot of people returning, and a decent goalie to back them up.

Just my opinion.

I agree, hopefully the west will fair better this year, but I don't really believe it'll happen. Can't wait for the season to begin!

As far as I know, obvious players will be playing Elite I's again (Narveson, Demers), but I don't have their roster. I heard the Elite II roster was finalized at some point lately too, didn't hear much about who made it. Heard there were a lot of players from around the state, with a lot of players from the Fargo area. I'll look around for a roster on the two leagues.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 am

Otto- pipes'
Frenzel- points

Just my opinion.

I really dont want to, but i will back you up on 1 peice of your argument Otto is legit, the problem is does anyone remember who played goalie for DHS the last three years ya Kovacs he took up the whole net in the butterfly, I remember he played the 3rd period aginst us when he was a soph after we popped 4 in on Kovacs and Otto turned away about 20 shots 5 or 6 were quality chances too. Frenzel cannot lead this team on his own though, idk what DHS has comming up but they have lacked depth the past 2 seasons from what i remember only dress 16-18ish total for varsity games. I dont feel the west will change that much at all heres what i am looking at for top 6
1. BHS return solid D and couple scoring threats
2. JHS Lindberg, pieamont, looking good i think with the west this may be their year to win at WDA
3. DHS most of us picked them up here last season (Blue flame was the term used i believe)
4. CHS/Minot/WHS
5. CHS/Minot/WHS
6. CHS/Minot/WHS
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Orr4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 pm

sweeper wrote:

They did lose some good players but they still have their leading scorer paiement and the have walden
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Central: Seth Lang, the #1.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

brownbomber wrote:
Centralhockey_08 wrote:
sweeper wrote:well do you have any other opinions?

What difference does it make?

it makes all the difference he wants to know so that he can get more ideas rather than just his own

I think Central will be good and be in the championship game of the State Tourney. Park River will be tough and Red River will be down this year...
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Central, the reason he was asking if you have any other opinions is because you're solely dedicated to the fact that Central is always the center of attention. I like my home town team too, but you kind of take it to an extreme. At least 90% of your posts (when I quickly looked through your previous posts) were about Central. I don't know your relation to the team, but it either seems like you're a relative of a player, or you've been in the program (coach, teacher, player, etc).

Anyways, I'll support my home town teams. I actually enjoy that so many are overlooking Fargo South and even Fargo North. North isn't a powerhouse, but they're young and they didn't do too shabby at State last year, even if they were facing competition from the West. I don't expect them to blow over the state tourney, but they'll be battling for a spot at State next year. As for South, we'll see how that coaching goes, but if it goes well, I see it being just as unbiasedly probable that South wins State as Grafton.

However, I'm just optimistic for my city. :)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:05 am

HockeyHigh wrote:Central, the reason he was asking if you have any other opinions is because you're solely dedicated to the fact that Central is always the center of attention. I like my home town team too, but you kind of take it to an extreme. At least 90% of your posts (when I quickly looked through your previous posts) were about Central. I don't know your relation to the team, but it either seems like you're a relative of a player, or you've been in the program (coach, teacher, player, etc).

Anyways, I'll support my home town teams. I actually enjoy that so many are overlooking Fargo South and even Fargo North. North isn't a powerhouse, but they're young and they didn't do too shabby at State last year, even if they were facing competition from the West. I don't expect them to blow over the state tourney, but they'll be battling for a spot at State next year. As for South, we'll see how that coaching goes, but if it goes well, I see it being just as unbiasedly probable that South wins State as Grafton.

However, I'm just optimistic for my city. :)

Central is the team I am pulling for and anyone that is playing Red River. :D :lol:
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favre#1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Now that about half the season has gone by who do you think is the best goalie in the state?
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby GatorFan15 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:10 am

Favre#1 wrote:What about the east goalies?

Shanley-Chris Stokke- big kid can move pretty good,should help shanley win some games.

South-Scott Bucholz-played alot last year, a good player

Central- Lang- played great against shanley, but i have heard that he tore is mcl and acl but i dont know for sure.

north- laberik-played some last year and with aikens goin down to kc for midgets, he will have to step up

west fargo-holland-great golaie as a sophomore but has let up some easy goals. should be really good as junior and senior

i havent heard much on the whapeton, red river, devils lake or grafton goalies.
GatorFan15
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 am

GatorFan15 wrote:
Favre#1 wrote: What about the east goalies?

Central- Lang- played great against shanley, but i have heard that he tore is mcl and acl but i dont know for sure...

Seth started for GFC last night and was solid.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Top goalies statistically as of today... with at least 5 (half of team's) games played and 90%+ Save are:

WDA
McCade Evanson of Williston (93% Save) (7-0-0)
Darren Medler of Minot (90% Save) (2-4-0)
Joel Otto of Dickinson (90% Save) (3-6-1)

EDC
Scott Buchholz of Fargo South (92% Save) (8-0-1)
Eric Monsebroten of Grafton (90% Save) (3-2-1)
Mitch Byrne of Red River (90% Save) (2-3-1)
Chris Stokke of Shanley (91% Save) (7-4-0)
Cameron Holland of West Fargo (91% Save) (1-5-1)

Obviously save percent doesn't judge a goalie, it's just a quick way to do a rundown.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby NODOUBT » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm

i agree that save % is huge and many things can affect it - quality of defense , # of shots,# of scoring chances. it can be a good barometer on how a netminder is playing. i looked into the goalies you mentioned and that group does appear to be playing the best (right now). i left out otto(too many games not recorded yet including a 13-0 loss vs bismarck) and monsebroten ( too many games not recorded as well). WEST - Evanson- willy- JR. (7-0)w.l. 91.9 save% 1.76 ga avg. shots faced (148). MEDLER-bismarck-So.-(2-5)w.l. 89.4 save% 2.93 ga avg. shots faced (160). EAST - BUCHOLZ-south-Jr. (8-0-1)w.l. 91.7% save% 1.8 ga avg. shots faced(217) - BYRNE-red river-So. (2-3)w.l. 90.2% save %-2.60 g.a. avg. shots faced(133), STOKKE- shanley - Jr. (7-4)w.l. 91.5 save% 3.00 g.a. avg. shots faced(389). HOLLAND-w.fgo.-So. - (1-5-1) 90.6% save%, 3.77 g.a avg. shots faced(286). (interestingly-not 1 senior in the bunch). there are other good goalies in the state and for whatever reason they just don't have the stats right now but this can and probabley will change, its only 1/2 the year.
NODOUBT
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to Hockey