2008 State Hockey Tournament proposed schedule.

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2008 State Hockey Tournament proposed schedule.

Postby ND Football Guy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Here's the proposed schedule for the 2008 North Dakota Boys and Girls Hockey tournemants that will be held together, in Grand Forks, for the first time. What does everyone think? Again, this is not a final schedule, but it is the proposed schedule. The UND Sioux game against Bemidji State on Saturday certainly adds another wrinkle to the busy weekend.

Thursday – February 21st - State Tournament in Grand Forks
Boys # 1 West v.s. Boys # 4 East - 11:30 AM (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Boys # 2 East v.s. Boys # 3 West - 2:00 PM (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Boys # 1 East v.s. Boys # 4 West - 6:30 PM (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Boys # 2 West v.s. Boys # 3 East - 9:00 PM (Ralph Engelstad Arena)

Girls # 1 v.s. Girls # 8 - 12:30 PM (Purpur Arena)
Girls # 4 v.s. Girls # 5 - 3:00 PM (Purpur Arena)
Girls # 2 v.s. Girls # 7 - 5:30 PM (Purpur Arena)
Girls # 3 v.s. Girls # 6 - 8:00 PM (Purpur Arena)

[b]Friday – February 22nd - State Tournament in Grand Forks

Boys Consolation Round Semi-Finals - 12:30 pm (Purpur Arena)
Boys Consolation Round Semi-Finals - 3:00 pm (Purpur Arena)
Girls Consolation Round Semi-Finals - 5:30 pm (Purpur Arena)
Girls Consoaltion Round Semi-Finals - 8:00 pm (Purpur Arena)

Girls Semi-Finals - 11:30 am (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Girls Semi-Finals - 2:00 pm (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Boys Semi-Finals - 6:30 pm (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Boys Semi-Finals - 9:00 pm (Ralph Engelstad Arena)

Saturday – February 23rd - State Tournament in Grand Forks
Boys 5th Place Game - 10:00 am (Purpur Arena)
Boys 3rd Place Game - 12:30 pm (Purpur Arena)
Girls 5th Place Game - 3:00 pm (Purpur Arena)
Girls 3rd Place Game - 5:30 pm (Purpur Arena)

Girls Championship Game - 11:30 am (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Bemidji State at UND Fighting Sioux Game - 3:35 pm (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Boys Championship Game - 8:00 pm (Ralph Engelstad Arena)
Last edited by ND Football Guy on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2008 State Hockey Tournament proposed schedule.

Postby gfhockey » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:52 pm

that is gunna be some screwed up ice.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby hckywst » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:00 am

That is smart for the souix, who wouldnt go to that game agaist bemidji. High school hockey fans wont let that chance pass. It kind of not cool for those teams that lose in the first round of state because they would obvouisly have liked to play all the games at the ralph.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:03 am

IDK The rink is nice but the ice is way way too soft and its way too hot on ice when your playing the arena is very nice but it is all for the fans imo they just keep it to hot and as i said the ice is too dang doft! or at least thats what it was like last year.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Kinda a shame that they don't get to play the Consolation and 3rd place games in the Ralph. Knew this controversy would come up since both the boys' and the girls' are playing in the same city.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Damus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:00 am

This is a perfect time to propose a rotating State Tourney that bounces from East to West, in the following four cities:

Bismarck/Minot
GF/Fargo

I'm tired of state tourney games with an empty upper deck...How much better would it be to have a packed All Seasons Arena in Bismarck?

Also, if they're going to try to "spread" hockey within the state, how about some exposure in other cities?
How else can we get young kids interested in hockey, (Especially in the West Region), when the travel is ridiculous to see these games live?

Part of the reason that the WDA tournament is a very exciting, action-packed tourney...(Granted, part of this is the East region domination...so the 1st day usually has 3 or more blowout games...)

And this is nothing about the Girls...They can have the Ralph in the opposite years...

Just my .02
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:02 am

Damus wrote:This is a perfect time to propose a rotating State Tourney that bounces from East to West, in the following four cities:
Bismarck/Minot
GF/Fargo
I'm tired of state tourney games with an empty upper deck...How much better would it be to have a packed All Seasons Arena in Bismarck?
Also, if they're going to try to "spread" hockey within the state, how about some exposure in other cities?
How else can we get young kids interested in hockey, (Especially in the West Region), when the travel is ridiculous to see these games live?
Part of the reason that the WDA tournament is a very exciting, action-packed tourney...(Granted, part of this is the East region domination...so the 1st day usually has 3 or more blowout games...)
And this is nothing about the Girls...They can have the Ralph in the opposite years...
Just my .02

A rotating state tournament? The Bismarck All-Seasons? Give me a break. You do not see the MN state tournament rotating. The ralph is the arguably the nicest arena in the world. Build something comparable and then the tournament should be moved. You compare a full house at the All-Seasons arena, which seats what 2000 fans, 2500 tops to an empty upper deck at the Ralph, which seats over 12,000 people total.?.? You play the tournament at the best facility there is, plain and simple. Comparing the WDA to the state tournament is silly.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:39 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
Damus wrote:This is a perfect time to propose a rotating State Tourney that bounces from East to West, in the following four cities:
Bismarck/Minot
GF/Fargo
Just my .02

A rotating state tournament? The Bismarck All-Seasons? Give me a break. You do not see the MN state tournament rotating. The ralph is the arguably the nicest arena in the world. Build something comparable and then the tournament should be moved. You compare a full house at the All-Seasons arena, which seats what 2000 fans, 2500 tops to an empty upper deck at the Ralph, which seats over 12,000 people total.?.? You play the tournament at the best facility there is, plain and simple. Comparing the WDA to the state tournament is silly.

Are you kidding me this is where the political b.s. comes into play sure its nice and all but honestly the east dominates but give the westa edge make gf sleep in a hotel or let bis, minot sleep in their own beds the night before a big game and have mommy and daddy make them a nice meal no fast food bs engelsted is nice but there is too much of an advantage for home teams! the ralph is great for spectators but it is over rated for players i thionk it would be cool to be packed at vfw for a champ game it would be a awsome atmosphere
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:00 am

Saucesauer wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:
Bismarck/Minot
GF/Fargo
Just my .02

Are you kidding me this is where the political b.s. comes into play sure its nice and all but honestly the east dominates but give the westa edge make gf sleep in a hotel or let bis, minot sleep in their own beds the night before a big game and have mommy and daddy make them a nice meal no fast food bs engelsted is nice but there is too much of an advantage for home teams! the ralph is great for spectators but it is over rated for players i thionk it would be cool to be packed at vfw for a champ game it would be a awsome atmosphere

Sleep in their own beds..... Wow, this sounds like the BHS coach a few years ago...... That has absolutely nothing to do with who wins. I have heard it all now. You don't want to eat fast food, there are PLENTY of sit down restaurants in the Grand Forks area that offer good food, that isn't fast food. Maybe the fact that the home team is often times one of the most talented teams in the state (be it GFRR or GFC in the past) has something to do with why they win. It isn't like the Grand Forks players get to High School and flip the switch. They win at peewees and bantams more times than not as well. The Fargo schools don't always get hotels, so is it unfair they drive home an hour and sleep in their own beds? Is that why South won a couple years ago?
Hey since we want to play in the VFW All-Seasons arena, let's try the Fargo Coliseum, Jamestown Wilson Arena, of the West Fargo Vets. The Ralph is the best facility in the state, maybe the country, bar none. Maybe when fargo gets the UP Center, it can bid on the state tournament, until then, don't expect to see it played anywhere but Grand Forks and the Ralph Engelstad Arena. I find it funny that these top tier division 1 recruits come to the Ralph and are in awe of the facility and that is why they want to go to UND among other things, but it isn't good enough for the 4 west teams to play the state tournament in.

Did Fargo South win the state Football title this year because they got to sleep in their own beds??
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:52 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:
Bismarck/Minot
GF/Fargo
Just my .02

Sleep in their own beds..... Wow, this sounds like the BHS coach a few years ago...... That has absolutely nothing to do with who wins. I have heard it all now. You don't want to eat fast food, there are PLENTY of sit down restaurants in the Grand Forks area that offer good food, that isn't fast food. Maybe the fact that the home team is often times one of the most talented teams in the state (be it GFRR or GFC in the past) has something to do with why they win. It isn't like the Grand Forks players get to High School and flip the switch. They win at peewees and bantams more times than not as well. The Fargo schools don't always get hotels, so is it unfair they drive home an hour and sleep in their own beds? Is that why South won a couple years ago?
Hey since we want to play in the VFW All-Seasons arena, let's try the Fargo Coliseum, Jamestown Wilson Arena, of the West Fargo Vets. The Ralph is the best facility in the state, maybe the country, bar none. Maybe when fargo gets the UP Center, it can bid on the state tournament, until then, don't expect to see it played anywhere but Grand Forks and the Ralph Engelstad Arena. I find it funny that these top tier division 1 recruits come to the Ralph and are in awe of the facility and that is why they want to go to UND among other things, but it isn't good enough for the 4 west teams to play the state tournament in.

Did Fargo South win the state Football title this year because they got to sleep in their own beds??

So is the state hockey tournament about the bulding or about the talent that is there?it needs to be at a more central location in the state or rotate, it seems like every other sport does it come on now get off you high horse! the ralph is nice but i am not going to go out of my way to see it, i have seen and played in a hockey arena before they are all made of the same stuff rozen water rotate locations bottem line!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Damus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:13 am

I figured this would get someone fired up...But what good is the venue if your playing one day in it? Other then the Semis and the Finals? For 4 teams, great...Pretty much a joke.

Someone said, "Maybe the fact that the home team is often times one of the most talented teams in the state (be it GFRR or GFC in the past) has something to do with why they win. It isn't like the Grand Forks players get to High School and flip the switch. They win at peewees and bantams more times than not as well. "

Well, how does that come about? Maybe b/c these kids grow up at the peewee/bantam level seeing state hockey tournament action first hand. Why would we not want to grow the game in North Dakota, especially in the West Region? I don't see how being a "Minnesota Wannabe" for the East Region teams makes any sense for the East Region...

And if the Ralph is so valuable...then every other year, we'll keep it at REA...Rotate b/t Minot/Bismarck and Ralph in the East. (Certainly capable facilities) And I know I talked about the Upper Deck...but the lower bowl was not even CLOSE to half full...Part of the fun of a State tourney to me, is the atmosphere...(Of course, I'd imagine this year's Title game will probably be packed to the rafters...with how the schedule is set up...) But that means 2 teams get to play a packed house. I would rather see a first round where every game is packed to the rafters...
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Damus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am

Agreed, high heat...

One problem that burned me alive when I lived in Fargo, was that there is NO DECENT venue in the F-M area for hockey...This new place, (UPC??? I didn't know the name...just saw some plans), should be a perfect fit.

ONe thing to understand, is I don't mean to demean the REA...It might be one of the greatest venues in the world...But if we're going to have to split the time in there, it takes a lot of the muster out of the other games...
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND Football Guy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I knew this topic would get some opinions flying. Did anyone else realize that for the first time in decades, the Boys 3rd Place game won't be televised? The first casualty of the combined tourneys, I guess. I think we can all agree that the Ralph is the best facility in the state to hold the State Tournament ... but good arguments are being brought up. The Ralph is great, but remember it's also not even being used for a MAJORITY of the games of the state tournament. 10 games (45%) will be played at the Ralph, and 12 games (55%) at Purpur. It's too bad that they can't get the tourney there on a weekend when the Sioux are on the road. At least not this year and next.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 pm

I dont know if this is true or not but i heard if u have a sioux-bemidji ticket, u can get in to the title game. Last years attenedance total was only 2nd behind class B boys basketball at the ralph so they do make a ton of moeny.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:04 pm

I forgot also to add if you were a kid, would u rather say u played ur state tourney in a 104 million dollar arena nicest colelge hockey arena is the world in which one of the top programs play in for play in some 5 million dollar arena that a junior b team plays in.

also if it was in the west, the attendance would seuffer after the first round with all the east teams always winning in the first round, what west fans would want to watch an all east final 4?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby hckywst » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:31 pm

One of the main reasons these kids try to get to state (besides trying to win it) is so they can play in the ralph. The teams that place 4-8 still have a great experience being able to play in the ralph. Any other arena in ND would take alot away from the experience. Having your own beds and home-made food is just an excuse used after you lose.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:35 pm

I think that the west at some point will start winning more thursday games. Their programs are developing and that is good for the state. Whether or not you watch the state high school tournament has nothing to do with talent. If anything, the exposure to the UND hockey team in Grand Forks at such a young age may have a little to do with the talent in Grand Forks. It has been said a lot through this forum, that kids are on the ice more in the east (Grand Forks, Fargo, etc), they skate more in the spring, summer and fall because they have that opportunity with ice being available. The state tournament will remain in Grand Forks until another community has the facility to compare. The UP Center in Fargo will hold I believe up to 5000-6000 which would fit as a top notch facility. And, NO all the state tournaments do not rotate across the state. The state football rotates from the Fargodome to the Alerus, due to being the 2 best facilities...

GFhockey may be right. The thursdays games in the state would be full if it were in Bismarck (but only 2000 people), but if the East won out, there would be crickets for Friday/Saturday.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Damus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Someone stated "what West fan would want to watch an all East Final 4?" I think that's the point...How do we grow the game, without giving them an opportunity to see the product "LIVE?"

Most non-hockey fans, will say, "I enjoy the game IN PERSON"...Well, How does a casual fan from Bismarck or Minot (Let alone Dickinson or Williston) really want to make a trip up to GF? What about all the Peewees/Bantams in Bismarck/Minot? They wouldn't show for a GFRR/Grafton final? How do we know this?

See...you can "Speculate" that people wouldn't come...but I don't buy it...

And Sioux4ever, I totally disagree with you about the West winning more TR games...What trend has been shown? I believe, having seen EVERY team in the West, that this is definitely a weak year in the West. (Bismarck is all alone...but they get to high on themselves, they aren't that good...EDC good...) West hurts from lack of depth...this exposure that is needed...What about Minot? Check out this article:

http://www.minotdailynews.com/sptcolumn ... leID=18282
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Damus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:08 pm

As for "other" sports...I think that's apples to oranges...with the weather, it's just easier...(However, the Alerus center is a dump and should be demolished.)

I'd still like them to play outside...get kids back to being tough...
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchool » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Can we get the State Track meet back in Grand Forks then?

I agree with Sioux4ever!!! Aren't we doing this for the kids, bottom line. Ask the kids where they want it. Do they want to play at all seasons or the Ralph. I would say 99% will say they want to play at the Ralph.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:28 pm

Read my post. I didn't say this year.. I said "at some point", not this year, maybe not next year, but at some point.

If you believe watching a state tournament in a VFW All-Seasons arena is going to spur interest in hockey out west and make them more competitive, you are delusional. That's called what?? "speculating" YEAH.... I know plenty of people out west in Bismarck, Williston, Minot. They love the trip to Grand Forks to the ralph. They go every year. They do not go to watch any particular team, they go for good hockey in the Ralph Engelstad Arena. This year they even get to catch a pair of UND games, which makes it more exciting for them.

You feel that hosting a state tournament is going to jumpstart the western schools hockey programs, which will not happen. Are you involved with a youth program? If not, go get involved somehow. Try getting more kids out to mighty mites and mites. Does your association offer free registration to these ages? Do they help with equipment costs? Instead of thinking 1 state high school tournament is going to improve the numbers out there, do something active to help out. If you want state, build a nice facility and bid on it. Until then, do what I do, drive to Grand Forks and watch it.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Damus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Re-read my post...

Yeah, I know plenty of people in Bismarck/Minot/Williston who will drive to GF also...I mentioned the "Casual fan."

"Try getting more kids out to mighty mites and mites. Does your association offer free registration to these ages? Do they help with equipment costs? Instead of thinking 1 state high school tournament is going to improve the numbers out there, do something active to help out. If you want state, build a nice facility and bid on it. Until then, do what I do, drive to Grand Forks and watch it."

I agree with get out there and help out...I put my time in...As for a facility, I'm sorry, there's no rich, billionaire Nazi sympathizer going to die anytime soon to build a facility out west. That's just not possible. (And borderline delusional)
Damus
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:55 pm

OldSchool wrote:Can we get the State Track meet back in Grand Forks then?

I agree with Sioux4ever!!! Aren't we doing this for the kids, bottom line. Ask the kids where they want it. Do they want to play at all seasons or the Ralph. I would say 99% will say they want to play at the Ralph.

You can have track thats not a sport in my world! and hckwst that was no excuse see WDA was nice last year because i got to sleep in my own bed and relax and my parents made pasta everyday! but we got to gf and we wnt to a couple sit down resturants and its all so greasy that half the team was in the bathroom between periods! yes all teams work hard to play at the ralph, but once you get there you realize its just a nice building nothing more, how many of you posters have actually skated on that ice, let alone played a state or any hockey game on it? I would want to play at all seasons the ice is way way better which is suprising because of how muuch care of the ice the ralph takes.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:33 pm

You lost at state because a better team beat you. Not because of what you ate, not because of where you slept. The team you played was better on that day at that time. That is all.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Disagree a little with that statement sioux4ever.

Sleeping in your won bed is a huge factor.
Not traveling a long distance is a factor--both of those things mess up schedules for young players, of the HS age.

college--not so much, in any sport.
but Hs players that get the advantage, are those kids that get to stay on their schedule, stay at home and eat at home and etc.
that can make a big diff.

Minnesota makes all their teams stay in hotels, for hockey, for BBall tourneys and the like.
no matter if you live 10 minutes from the event site or what.

I say let's look at moving it around. heck I would love that. wouldn't have to travel so darn far to go to the State tourney if it could be held out here.
Maybe Fargo will want to host it , in the NEw arena that is going up (how is that coming anyone have anything to add to that?)
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Hockey