High School Hockey Awards

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

High School Hockey Awards

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:58 pm

Who would YOU rank for the best suited for the following awards? (ND State-wide Varsity Hockey)

Best Goalie:
    Best Defenseman:
    Best Winger:
    Best Center:
    Best Playmaker:
    Best Goal-scorer:
    Best Defensive Offenseman:
    Best Offensive Defenseman:
    Best All-Around Player (Mr. Hockey, but not necessarily a Senior):

Player, Team and Year if you would. (IE. Meland, RR, Senior)

Add your own if you want.
Keep your answers legitimate. (IE, no putting Aaron Ness for every award :mrgreen:)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: High School Hockey Awards

Postby ndplaya1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 am

I havent had a chance to watch meland play but i hear good things so ill give him all-around player
ndplaya1

Postby SiouxYAYA » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:11 pm

Best Goalie: D. Eichele, BHS, SR
Best Defenseman: J. Galbreath, RR, SR
Best Winger: N. Schaefer, RR, SR
Best Center: E. Meland, RR, SR
Best Goal-Scorer: C. Demers, GPR, JR
Best Defensive Offenseman: A. Simonson, RR, SR
Best Offensive Defenseman: R. LaDouceur, RR, SR
Best All-Around Player: R. LaDouceur and E. Meland
Most Potential: A. Simonson
SiouxYAYA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SiouxYAYA » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 pm

When Arnason is on top of his game he is the best goalie in the state hands down. I don't think Eichele would have as much success as he does if he would be playing Aranason's schedule. Aranson has played Warroad, Bloomington Jefferson, EGF, etc. and he will be playing the best team in MN AA hockey tommorow, Roseau. With that being said i'll say Aranason and Eichele are tied for the best goalie in the state.
SiouxYAYA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hckywst » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:38 pm

You guys must not have seen Kline from mandan play. Even Eichele will admit Kline is way better than him, he already admitted Knutson is better than him in an interveiw. And Knutson hasn't looked good at all this year.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby Knight55 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:15 pm

hckywst wrote:You guys must not have seen Kline from mandan play. Even Eichele will admit Kline is way better than him, he already admitted Knutson is better than him in an interveiw. And Knutson hasn't looked good at all this year.

Kline hasn't even played a good team this year....Jamestown, Dickinson, Portage, and part of the century game....He should have good numbers...but if he's soo good why does he split time with Beechie? And I don't know Eichele personally but my bet would be he is a nice kid who isn't arrogant.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

hckywst wrote:You guys must not have seen Kline from mandan play. Even Eichele will admit Kline is way better than him, he already admitted Knutson is better than him in an interveiw. And Knutson hasn't looked good at all this year.

Are you dumb??? no goalie is going to say he is better than any other goalie wow you are not inteligent thats like asking wayne gretzky if jarmoir jagr is better of course greatzky will say jagr is better than him with that being said after the first 5/8ths of season is over no and i mean no goalie in the west is the best in the state! Arnoson is the best so far giving up 1.70 goals a game! Kline is giving up 0.72 in 4.17 games but look at the games hes played portage colliget (canadian team terriable) dicky way over rated early in season not that good, jamestown and chs where as arnason has played the above mentiond as well as grafton south central the only reason Eichele looks so good is he probly has the deepest forwards in the west in front of him and he has the 2nd deepest d core in the state on the blue line!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hckywst » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:13 pm

With two senoir goalies why wouldn't you let the backup have the start against weaker teams. I guess i wasnt going by stats on the computer to see if kline is good or not. You just have to watch a game instead of sittin there in that chair in front of a screen and figuring out whose good and whose not. Are you tryin to say Klines arrogant? I know both Eichele and Kline are some of the nicest kids in the west.
Last edited by hckywst on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby hckywst » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Saucesauer wrote:

Are you dumb??? no goalie is going to say he is better than any other goalie wow you are not inteligent thats like asking wayne gretzky if jarmoir jagr is better of course greatzky will say jagr is better than him with that being said after the first 5/8ths of season is over no and i mean no goalie in the west is the best in the state! Arnoson is the best so far giving up 1.70 goals a game! Kline is giving up 0.72 in 4.17 games but look at the games hes played portage colliget (canadian team terriable) dicky way over rated early in season not that good, jamestown and chs where as arnason has played the above mentiond as well as grafton south central the only reason Eichele looks so good is he probly has the deepest forwards in the west in front of him and he has the 2nd deepest d core in the state on the blue line!

If you have confidence in yourself you would say that your better, but if you dont have the skills to back it up you would probably be like Saucesauer. How about we go by talent in seeing whose better than the other instead of who they played. By what i have seen Klines THE BEST in the state.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Last thing I want is people bashing a player in order to try and prove a point. Don't put players down, I can guarantee you some of them have visited these forums. You can argue, but not at the expense of a player to do so.

Best Goalie: (I'm undecided at this point)
Best Defenseman: J. Galbreath, RR, Sr. (Does all the little things right)
Best Winger: A. Hooey, FS, Sr. (I believe he's a Winger, put up some quality points this year)
Best Center: E. Meland, RR, Sr. (Lots of points, seems like a very solid player with potential)
Best Playmaker: T. Groth, FS, Sr. (Saw him make some shifty plays and makes quality chances for his teamates)
Best Goal-scorer: E. Meland, RR, Sr. (Can't argue the amount of points this kid has put up)
Best Defensive Offenseman: (Tough one to pick, I'll think of one later I suppose)
Best Offensive Defenseman: A. Seeberg, BHS, Sr. (Put up a good amount of points and seems to be a solid offensive defenseman)
Best All-Around Player: E. Meland, RR, Sr. (Haven't seen many other players in the state this year that have the credentials of Meland. Reminds me of Weisgarber from FS when they won state in 2005.)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Shoot! » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Best Goalie: Kovacs DHS
Best Defenseman: Narveson FS (sux he got injured)
Best Winger: Schaefer GFRR
Best Center: Meland RR
Best Playmaker: Tie: Demers GPR, Meland GFRR
Best Goal-scorer: Tie: Demers GPR, Meland GFRR
Best Defensive Offenseman: Mohagen GPR (Watch him and youll know why!)
Best Offensive Defenseman: Tie: LaDouceur GFRR, Hills GPR
Best All-Around Player: Meland, RR, Senior
Shoot!
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:25 am

hckywst wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

If you have confidence in yourself you would say that your better, but if you dont have the skills to back it up you would probably be like Saucesauer. How about we go by talent in seeing whose better than the other instead of who they played. By what i have seen Klines THE BEST in the state.

HAHA i love Eicks me and him get along great i dont know kline but i am sure hes a good kid but it is a respect thing to say someone else is better! its funny how you think hes the best in the state hmmm lemme think about that you have 4 or 5 posts and from what i see they are all about Kline...hmmmkinda a coincidense huh? hckwst you need to check out some east tenders! i would look like a good goalie aginst portage and dicky, chs and j town are so on off that someone could look like a brick wall sometimes!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 am

Here is what I see:
Shoot! has a liking to GPR.
Hckywst has a liking to Kline(who is by the way a very good goalie--Best?? Not sure about that)
Saucesauer-- has a liking to the East and GF especially.

Now--hockeyhigh has a seemingly unbiased view, has seen some hockey games(obviously) and has seen these kids play(against good teams and bad teams)..
Here is what I think(again my observations-opinions) and to let you know-- mine are additions to the Hockeyhigh listing(which I agree with mostly)

Best Goalie: (I'm undecided at this point)-- leaning on Arnason-GFRR and tie goes with kline-Mandan
Best Defenseman:adding in: Ladoucer-GFRR (more so than-J. Galbreath, RR, Sr. (Does all the little things right)
Best Winger: (good pick here)A. Hooey, FS, Sr. (I believe he's a Winger, put up some quality points this year)and last year.big Physical and I hear is probably going to play Fball in college(All-state LB)
Best Center: (agreed-- is tremendous player) E. Meland, RR, Sr. (Lots of points, seems like a very solid player with potential)
Best Playmaker:(agreed- -makes players better around him, from what I have seen) T. Groth, FS, Sr. (Saw him make some shifty plays and makes quality chances for his teamates)
Best Goal-scorer: E. Meland, RR, Sr. (Can't argue the amount of points this kid has put up)-
Best Defensive Offenseman: (Tough one to pick, I'll think of one later I suppose) Groth-FS, Moehagin-GPR are good picks, also add in seeburg-BHS
Best Offensive Defenseman: *****-- see the problem-- Laqdoucer is the best Off/Defmen-------A. Seeberg(is a F not a def-man, BHS, Sr. (Put up a good amount of points and seems to be a solid offensive defenseman)
Best All-Around Player: E. Meland, RR, Sr. (Haven't seen many other players in the state this year that have the credentials of Meland. Reminds me of Weisgarber from FS when they won state in 2005.)**(note-- he is the heir to the Mr. Hockey-- but one never knows who will get this-- he is outstanding though)

those are my thoughts- others may agree but this is unbiased
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndplaya1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:10 am

Knight55 wrote:

Kline hasn't even played a good team this year....Jamestown, Dickinson, Portage, and part of the century game....He should have good numbers...but if he's soo good why does he split time with Beechie? And I don't know Eichele personally but my bet would be he is a nice kid who isn't arrogant.

I heard he looked good against BHS, but other than that I would say your right but we should give him credit instead of putting him down, im sure he is a solid goalie and gives it his all when he is out there.
I would definately put him in the top 5 in the state. but if mandan makes it to state we'll just have to see what everyone thinks cause then the east will have a chance to watch and see how he performs against a good team....
ndplaya1

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 am

does anyone ever think that a coach is playing his cards, getting players experience in the season, so he knows who he has come tourney time(crunch time).
And some coaches do plan to get experience for their kids-- even goalies.
most coaches know that goalies play diff. in practice and games bring out the best(& or the kids fold).
Kline is a player. he can perform well and helps his team when he is on the ice. The coach is trying to make sure that he has a back-up.

I understand South finally used a back-up(first time in a few years..).....

the South understudy played well(from reports I got)-- against GFRR 3rd period--no goals, and vs. Devils Lake last weekend.

kline has his understudy--The Beechie kid-- coach is planning his strategy I presume.
Good way to do it in my book.
hmmm another good coach has played a couple of goalies this year-- GFC bina-- has played three goalies this year.
when you know your commodities(like Kline)--then get the other guy time just in case you need him later on.
Makes sense to me.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Sportshound wrote:does anyone ever think that a coach is playing his cards, getting players experience in the season, so he knows who he has come tourney time(crunch time).
And some coaches do plan to get experience for their kids-- even goalies.
most coaches know that goalies play diff. in practice and games bring out the best(& or the kids fold).
Kline is a player. he can perform well and helps his team when he is on the ice. The coach is trying to make sure that he has a back-up.

I understand South finally used a back-up(first time in a few years..).....

the South understudy played well(from reports I got)-- against GFRR 3rd period--no goals, and vs. Devils Lake last weekend.

kline has his understudy--The Beechie kid-- coach is planning his strategy I presume.
Good way to do it in my book.
hmmm another good coach has played a couple of goalies this year-- GFC bina-- has played three goalies this year.
when you know your commodities(like Kline)--then get the other guy time just in case you need him later on.
Makes sense to me.

The hockey website has that beechie kid as a senior i would understand it more if he was a soph or junior?
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am

don't think he is a Sr... must be a typo.... Maybe??
We'll check on that and report back sometime.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndplaya1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:22 am

Sportshound wrote:don't think he is a Sr... must be a typo.... Maybe??

I guess he is a senior who has never played a varsity game besides this year....just what i heard dont know if its true. That must answer some questions cause who wouldnt give a senior a chance to play some games. its the only logical thing to do. everyone deserves a chance.
ndplaya1

Postby ndplaya1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am

Saucesauer wrote:
hckywst wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

HAHA i love Eicks me and him get along great i dont know kline but i am sure hes a good kid but it is a respect thing to say someone else is better! its funny how you think hes the best in the state hmmm lemme think about that you have 4 or 5 posts and from what i see they are all about Kline...hmmmkinda a coincidense huh? hckwst you need to check out some east tenders! i would look like a good goalie aginst portage and dicky, chs and j town are so on off that someone could look like a brick wall sometimes!

ya ive played against and talked to kline and he seems like a good kid, he definately showed potential when i played him awhile back so who knows now. im sure he is the same old good kid he was.
ndplaya1

Postby hckywst » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Sportshound wrote:don't think he is a Sr... must be a typo.... Maybe??

Beechie played forward last year because of the low numbers in players, and there was a senior goalie last year that backed up kline. Nice kid.
hckywst
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:02 pm

OK well that is an athlete-- can play F and move into the nets...

Maybe he is a Sr???? didn't know that-- but then again didn't know of him either--so figured he was an underling
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ar68 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Beechie is a senior this year. He skated as a forward last year because mandan had 3 other goalies and yeah he is definately a really nice kid.
ar68
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndplaya1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:03 am

Sportshound wrote:OK well that is an athlete-- can play F and move into the nets...

Maybe he is a Sr???? didn't know that-- but then again didn't know of him either--so figured he was an underling

not trying to be disrespectful but im sure plenty of goalies can do both and im not saying its easy but im sure he was no standout as a player. im not to sure that was a good decision on his part cause he definately lost some ground by taking off a full year. not saying he could beat kline out if he would of keep playing cause by the looks of it kline is a solid goaltender and has a future beyond high school hockey if he keeps it up but the other guy could of at least maybe got some more varsity time this year. maybe some of the big games. who knows.
ndplaya1

Postby scrappy23 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:31 am

Best Goalie: Kovacs all the way give him a team
Best Defenseman: J. Galbreath, RR
Best Winger: A. Hooey, FS, OK 18 points ha! Schaefer and Demers make him a joke prove otherwise
Best Center: E. Meland, RR, The best no prob here
Best Playmaker: T. Groth, FS, playmakers have points dont be silly he is a good player but come on!! Best Goal-scorer: E. Meland, RR, best player state wide!!
Best Defensive Offenseman: Ryan Mohagen works harder 5 foot notta and kicks man
Best Offensive Defenseman: A. Seeberg, BHS, great d man ladoucer and galbreath are right there along with hills
Best All-Around Player: E. Meland, RR, unreal great player!!!!!
scrappy23

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:56 am

scrappy23 wrote:Best Goalie: Kovacs all the way give him a team
Best Defenseman: J. Galbreath, RR
Best Winger: A. Hooey, FS, OK 18 points ha! Schaefer and Demers make him a joke prove otherwise
Best Center: E. Meland, RR, The best no prob here
Best Playmaker: T. Groth, FS, playmakers have points dont be silly he is a good player but come on!! Best Goal-scorer: E. Meland, RR, best player state wide!!
Best Defensive Offenseman: Ryan Mohagen works harder 5 foot notta and kicks man
Best Offensive Defenseman: A. Seeberg, BHS, great d man ladoucer and galbreath are right there along with hills
Best All-Around Player: E. Meland, RR, unreal great player!!!!!

Decent list, but scince kovacs gave up 5 goals to bhs in like 5 min. i disagree, hooey no no, groth i think is a stud, and seeberg dosnt play defense! he is a wing maybe a center but i am pretty sure wing, i know he is a forward though
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Hockey