Shanley Head Coach quits

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Shanley Head Coach quits

Postby JRgoldfan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:36 pm

I've heard from various people, that the Shanley Head Coach quit last night. Can anyone verify this??
Last edited by JRgoldfan on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRgoldfan

Re: Shanley Head Coach quits

Postby gfhockey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:53 pm

hmm sounds interesting. could very well be true. Shanley hasn't done anythign sucessfull since fielding a hockey team. play for the last spot in east region every year.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby JRgoldfan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:13 pm

gfhockey wrote:hmm sounds interesting. could very well be true. Shanley hasn't done anythign sucessfull since fielding a hockey team. play for the last spot in east region every year.

Well they had a good run at EDC when Burgraff was there the first year (03-04) and upset Central in 05-06.
JRgoldfan

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:13 pm

JRgoldfan wrote:
gfhockey wrote:hmm sounds interesting. could very well be true. Shanley hasn't done anythign sucessfull since fielding a hockey team. play for the last spot in east region every year.

Well they had a good run at EDC when Burgraff was there the first year (03-04) and upset Central in 05-06.

Had a good run with players that were not even from Fargo. I believe their goalie was from Sioux Falls, a couple of their best players were from Minot and Bismarck. I thought I saw their feeder program was doing fairly well though, so maybe things are on the right track for the Shanley organization.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JRgoldfan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:
JRgoldfan wrote:

Had a good run with players that were not even from Fargo. I believe their goalie was from Sioux Falls, a couple of their best players were from Minot and Bismarck. I thought I saw their feeder program was doing fairly well though, so maybe things are on the right track for the Shanley organization.

Hmmm I dunno feeder program is a bit down with players leaving for WF, North Raiders, North Varsity, MHD, Flyers & South JV. Though the 2 Squirt teams are doing very well this year.
JRgoldfan

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:09 pm

Hmmm I dunno feeder program is a bit down with players leaving for WF, North Raiders, North Varsity, MHD, Flyers & South JV. Though the 2 Squirt teams are doing very well this year.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, it is good for hockey to have Shanley become competitive with the other schools.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JRgoldfan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:52 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:Hmmm I dunno feeder program is a bit down with players leaving for WF, North Raiders, North Varsity, MHD, Flyers & South JV. Though the 2 Squirt teams are doing very well this year.

Sorry to hear that, it is good for hockey to have Shanley become competitive with the other schools.[/quote]

Ken Astrup and Kevin Berger, just named Co-Coaches.... 2 excellent choices in my opinion...
JRgoldfan

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Ken Astrup and Kevin Berger, just named Co-Coaches.... 2 excellent choices in my opinion...[/quote]

The best of luck to those 2 with the remainder of the season. Were they already assistants? Just picked random?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:25 pm

I would say that John Erickson(now former HC of Shanley)-- was feeling like his kids maybe quit on him???

maybe he resigned for other reasons?

someone out there can shed the light. has insight.

it is too bad-- J.E. was head of International hockey schools for years. Now i think his son Dana is in charge(lives in fargo i believe)

shanley kids are a good grp., they just needed a little more recruiting to muster up some players and get to a balance with wins and losses. then maybe they could compete for a shot at EDC top 4 to make state.
They used to recruit for football back in the day. kids would get scholarships if they couldn't afford to attend, but then they ran the table in FBall for years (once ranked #1 nationally- old coach Cichy had them running over everyone).
Too bad for the school to stuggle with coach after coach for hockey.
they are supporting it and trying to get better.

The replacements have ties to fargo-- seems to me that Astrup is a North high Alum. Berger?? not sure of.
Ihope shanley can be competative for the whole state of hockey in ND--- although they stuggled to beat Wahp. last week only winning 4-2??? WOW
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:56 pm

[quote="Sportshound"]I would say that John Erickson(now former HC of Shanley)-- was feeling like his kids maybe quit on him???

Speaking of quitting on someone though........it is unheard of for a coach to quit on a team mid-season. (Unless your name is Bobby Petrino...) The players are still playing aren't they?? Did they have players quit the team?? Maybe their output has not been what some would hope for in the Shanley program. Wasn't it last year where the coach was quoted in the paper for holding his better players out of an EDC tournament game against Red River saying he wanted them fresh for the next days game and didnt want them to get tired by losing to Red River??
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:18 pm

yes that was him. he had no faith in his players. sometimes upsets do happen.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby JRgoldfan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:05 pm

gfhockey wrote:yes that was him. he had no faith in his players. sometimes upsets do happen.

I understand what Erickson was trying to do, he figured the RR game was lost for sure, so he figured he'd try to make a good run at North. Unfortunately, North got word of this and beat Shanley 8-2 regardless.

Astrup & Berger were assistants, I don't know too much about Astrup, other then he played for North back in the day, Berger has excellent knowlege of the game in my opinion, along w/ the ability to teach it.
JRgoldfan

Postby HitManHoops » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:22 am

Here's how it goes:

1. Coach Erickson quit for personal reasons and he has another job.

2. No kids quit....Astrup and Berger have been on staff all year.

3. Shanley can not be said to be always playing for last. They are like any other team and have good and bad years. Last year was rough but two years ago they had 12 conference points including the upset of Central. They lost two tight games to North and lost 2-1 to West Fargo. Then you have the year they upset Red River and then lost to both South and Grafton in overtime at EDC.

4. Kids left Shanley to go to North...but why? The North and Shanley game this year should be a good game...its not like those kids were going to an elite program.

5. Shanley does not have scholarships...they cannot recruit. You cannot do that as a high school and people need to get that out of their heads.
HitManHoops

Postby Sioux4ever » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:19 pm

HitManHoops wrote:1. Coach Erickson quit for personal reasons and he has another job.
3. Shanley can not be said to be always playing for last. They are like any other team and have good and bad years. Last year was rough but two years ago they had 12 conference points including the upset of Central. They lost two tight games to North and lost 2-1 to West Fargo. Then you have the year they upset Red River and then lost to both South and Grafton in overtime at EDC.
4. Kids left Shanley to go to North...but why? The North and Shanley game this year should be a good game...its not like those kids were going to an elite program.
5. Shanley does not have scholarships...they cannot recruit. You cannot do that as a high school and people need to get that out of their heads.

Thank you for the information. You bring up some good points. Do you have any insight into why kids left Shanley for North? Tuition costs, etc..? or was it just flat out for the hockey? I agree if it was just for hockey, it's not like they left for a South/Red River/Grafton team.

On the recruiting trail, maybe Shanley does not currently "recruit" their players. When their team opted out of the co-op a few years ago to form their own team, are you telling me that players from Minot, Bismarck, Sioux Falls, etc... just happened to decide that Fargo Shanley???
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JRgoldfan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:
HitManHoops wrote:1. Coach Erickson quit for personal reasons and he has another job.

Thank you for the information. You bring up some good points. Do you have any insight into why kids left Shanley for North? Tuition costs, etc..? or was it just flat out for the hockey? I agree if it was just for hockey, it's not like they left for a South/Red River/Grafton team.

On the recruiting trail, maybe Shanley does not currently "recruit" their players. When their team opted out of the co-op a few years ago to form their own team, are you telling me that players from Minot, Bismarck, Sioux Falls, etc... just happened to decide that Fargo Shanley???

Those kids weren't recruited they were "attracted" by the coaching of Frank Burgraff..... The same reason kids are "attracted" to South & Red River's programs.

Just my thoughts, but the facts are Shanley lost to Central 6 to 0, North upset central 3-2.......... Of course it's still anyone's game, I hope Shanley beats North, since North is currently carrying 7 players that were or would have been on Shanley's varsity team this year.
JRgoldfan

Postby HitManHoops » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:08 am

It was basically hockey reasons for most.
HitManHoops

Return to Hockey