Mr. Hockey Candidates Thread

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Hockey Candidates Thread

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:55 pm

West Candidates IMO
Kovacs-Dickinson, good goalie, played well even on a weaker team in the past.
Seeberg-BHS, looks like he is leading his team in points
LaBere-BHS, from all accounts sounds like a solid d-man.
Rehak-Williston, lots of talk about this kid for a couple of years now, seems like a strong candidate
Martin-Mandan, season was cut short last season I believe it was posted on here, look for a strong sr. season.

East Candidates IMO
Meland-RR, not much has to be said about him that you haven't already read on here
Schaefer-RR, putting up good points
Groth-South, not a lot of publicity in the past, see how his sr season goes
Powers-South seems to have the tools to be a strong player
Hooey-South strong player on a strong team
LaDouceur-RR probably one of the best defensemen around, maybe overlooked due to the talent at RR?
Galbreath-RR same as above for LaDouceur...?

All other things considered in this award that were brought up last year.... grades, character, etc... are these kids all good students as well as good players??
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:58 pm

I really doubt they look that much into the Student part of Student Athlete, sadly. Really, last years vote was attributed to the west voting for the west candidate, more than anything else imo.
The player that gets the most publicity and the most attention from ALL coaches around the state will get it, not neccessarily a good student, although most of the candidates seem to be relatively good students.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Seems to me that you will need to be a good citizen, good student, and adding in good player to get the award and be selected as a candidate.

At least it should be that.
Hmm(thinking...) last yr. a guy that was probably and arguably the best player/best on his team and leading pts.in the State--- was Z. Miller(now playing in NAHL in Faribanks--I think?)--from Grafton.
guess his actions outside of the rink made a diff. in his selction(or non-selection)--just thinking that.

Mr. Hockey should be held up to the highest of standards-- All things should be considered..
Hockey, citizenship,grades-and school involvement, whether they are liked in the school they are attending--by the students and by the admin. and teachers.
Volunteer work can play a role as well as the student athlete's attitude.

Maybe these are things that are already on the table.
but I am writing them anyway...... I think this doesn't mean it is correct or true...
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:46 pm

I believe it's really up to the coaches beliefs, rather than what the truth is. If a coach is stiving to get his player on the favorites of the coaches, he will stress his better points (Such as points, athleticism) and hide anything weaker (such as misconduct or bad grades). This basically leaves the decisions up to 'favorites' of the coaches.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:33 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:I believe it's really up to the coaches beliefs, rather than what the truth is. If a coach is stiving to get his player on the favorites of the coaches, he will stress his better points (Such as points, athleticism) and hide anything weaker (such as misconduct or bad grades). This basically leaves the decisions up to 'favorites' of the coaches.

Either way. Just wanted to let everyone know that Meland did get a 34 on his ACT and is a 4.0 student. Has an offer already to play at Harvard, but would like to play in WCHA
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:12 pm

I heard that but didnt know if it was true.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:46 am

All very interesting information. If he in fact did score a 34 on the ACT and is a 4.0 student, he should have no problem playing hockey at the collegiate level to go along with his hockey abilities, if that is what he chooses to do. Although some believe that his true passion is baseball, any truth to this?? I do not know, but that is what people say is that if you think Meland is a good hockey player, you should watch him in baseball. Anyone with some insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thenatural » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:31 am

Word is that gf central is getting a new transfer from Maine, his name is Geogre McWilliams, and due to the hardship technicalities he'll be able to play right away. i hear he runs about 6'3" 225lbs and was by far the best player in Maine. He's being recruted my UND Minnesota BC BU Wisconsin and other D1 powerhouses. Be on the lookout with new guy whos sure to take the edc if not the entire state by storm.
thenatural
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:16 pm

thenatural wrote:Word is that gf central is getting a new transfer from Maine, his name is Geogre McWilliams, and due to the hardship technicalities he'll be able to play right away. i hear he runs about 6'3" 225lbs and was by far the best player in Maine. He's being recruted my UND Minnesota BC BU Wisconsin and other D1 powerhouses. Be on the lookout with new guy whos sure to take the edc if not the entire state by storm.

thats really really funny you say that because this last year in basrball we got a transfer from maryland who was extremly hyped up and he ended up riding the pine on one of the jv teams so dont believe what everyone tells you!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:31 pm

Is he a Sr/Jr/Soph???

Someone should Google him--- find out if he exists.

I say good for Coach Bina-- someone transfering IN , not out!
And Good for the State-- another top notch player-- maybe that can help Nd get some pub......

his name isn't on the Watch list for either MN or UND --that I could tell. but one never knows.

6'3 225 good size in fact Huge!-- does he play football too?? Central might have him for both.

And don't forget the Air Base is still in GF-- so all this is possible.
He comes from out of state by direction of the Fed. Gov't.... his transfer might include the State letting him be elgible to play right away.
If that is the case.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I see u guys got a hold of this rumor. Im not going to confirm nor deny this yet until what happens is official.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:21 pm

gfhockey wrote:I see u guys got a hold of this rumor. Im not going to confirm nor deny this yet until what happens is official.

That is an interesting rumor regarding the player. Do you happen to know when anything will be official? if it is in fact true and this player is a good player, good for GFC and I hope he fits in with their current players, chemistry, etc...
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:West Candidates IMO
Kovacs-Dickinson, good goalie, played well even on a weaker team in the past.
Seeberg-BHS, looks like he is leading his team in points-
LaBere-BHS, from all accounts sounds like a solid d-man.
Rehak-Williston, lots of talk about this kid for a couple of years now, seems like a strong candidate
Martin-Mandan, season was cut short last season I believe it was posted on here, look for a strong sr. season.

East Candidates IMO
Meland-RR, not much has to be said about him that you haven't already read on here
Schaefer-RR, putting up good points
Groth-South, not a lot of publicity in the past, see how his sr season goes
Powers-South seems to have the tools to be a strong player
Hooey-South strong player on a strong team
LaDouceur-RR probably one of the best defensemen around, maybe overlooked due to the talent at RR?
Galbreath-RR same as above for LaDouceur...?

All other things considered in this award that were brought up last year.... grades, character, etc... are these kids all good students as well as good players??

Soux4ever-- your post here on Mr hockey candidates--- this thread started by SHoot! back in Dec. 07....
I think if we look up above-- some of the things are very true and sioux4ever knows his players in the state
Candidates-- who are still in the running-- or have gotten into it(in my opinion)
WEST: 2X players
KOVACS- dickinson-- still performing well.
Seeburg- BHS-- still performing well
**** that is probably the extent of it-- now that you see the East guys going-- yes I eat a little crow--Martin-Mandan not living upto a Mr.hockey candidate(pre-season-billing--)
EAST:5x players
Meland-GFRR-- leading his team & the State in scoring- makes others better around him.No doubts here.
Schaefer- GFRR-- added a little later/ but living upto a possible candidate status.plays with Meland.
Groth-F.South-- is having a very good year/leading the Bruins in scoring up there in the state also- living upto the pre-season candidate billing. he and Hooey play on a line.
Hooey- F.South-- living upto the billing from pre-season. also all-state LB in Football....
Ladoucer- GFRR-- all that-- the best D-Man in the State(sorry other guys-- and the Best West guys too)- pre-season pick-- No doubts in this....

those that have either slid some or fallen off this person's opinion:
Powers-- thought he would be on top of scoring in the State (was a good pt getter over the last two yrs)
Galbreath-- over shadowed by Meland, Schaefer & Ladoucer, but hard to get noticed.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeypuck » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:34 pm

I am removing my post for the sole reason that it is not my place to criticize these players.
Last edited by hockeypuck on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeypuck

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Anybody can be a candidate, I wouldn't take it so seriously, maybe he is the best player on his team, so therefore he would be their candidate.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby thenatural » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm

a friend told me that Geogre McWilliams got to central today. he starts participating in practice next week in the new semester. be on the lookout for this guy, im told he's an absolute beast.
thenatural
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm

i couldnt find anything on google about him? maybe i spelled the name wrong but nothin
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:46 am

that all waits to be seen.
I am sure he is a beast, that he is the best from his previos team/school. He is probably a 2nd third rounder in the Draft coming up.... who knows-- could be.........
Why would anyone start a rumor or embelish any story and say,--
"well this guy is moving in, he was the last kid picked in kick-ball every day at recess, he is a big , lanky, and can't tie his shoes and chew gum at the same time"--
We would never hear anything if he were an average kid-- Am I right???
this young man should be givena chance to play(if he plays) and prove his worth, beofre everyone gets up in his face.
what happens if he is just average?? What if is a bust??? people will be on here jumping all over the kid-- please do not do that.... think of it this way-- some kids have moved from one program(just in this state)-- they were the Big Man at the previous school/team, then move and are less than average.
what they learned, where they were from, was good for them there, didn't help them fit into another system-- ie: the kid from H/B that moved....top scorer on team, in wDA and state- notta afetr that-- and he was a soph at H/B....

Let's just reserve comments on the New kid(if there isa New kid) until he gets his feet wet...

sound good?
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stormtrooper » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 pm

joey paulus and jordan hoerner from chs both have great chances at this award. they both no how to lead a team and are great people not just on the ice, but off it as well.
Stormtrooper

Postby No Dak06 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:49 pm

where is the mention of Demers from Grafton? He is only a JR, but has a ton of potential and is in nearly every "elite" program since he was a little tot. Played with Ness from Roseau this fall and looks to be a D1 prospect. Invited to Don Luchia's camp last summer as a Sophmore but had foot surgery so he could not attend. All state in FB and great student.

If not this year, he will be the front runner if the USHL does not take him.
No Dak06

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Likely because Mr. Hockey is a senior only reward.

A SWING... AND A MISS!
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:09 pm

nodak 06--
any kid can go to Lucia's camp.. he holds it in Grand Rapids.
I know other kids (friend's kids/boys) that got letters from Don Lucia's camp...
they are invites becasue he wants kids to register and pay their $600 week fee.
get 50 kids-- that's $30,000 gross.... less expenses-- probably makes 15,000.....

now regarding This Mr. hockey thing: It is a Sr. only award.
I am sure there are a ton of Sr. players that would be great candidates.
Many of whom, would never even imagine themselves as a possible candidate.

but the criteria is vague, the people who pick the award winner are vague about the criteria.
leaving it all up to what a few people think when it comes to the Mr. Hockey award.

like running for the "Heisman" in college football-- the Schools promote their player.
Ie: the missouri QB, Tim Tebow-Florida(this yrs. winner)---
promotion of the player is the key.
now one kid has gooten all the accolades--already--in ND-- E.Meland--is the likely shoe-in for this years award. especially after the newspaper report on his grades, his teachers being quoted and the kid that he is out of hockey. Great for him.....
haven't seen any other schools looking to promote their player-- the Fargo Forum, unlike the Herald in GF, and many of the local papers in the state, doesn't publish feel good stories very often, so no one from Fargo will be presented.
BHs probably has the chance for a kid to be selected as a candidate-- the Bis. Trib-- will do stories now and again on players.
anyway-- the state has some good Sr. that should be candidates-- besides E.Meland--even though he is probably the winner already-- being a candidate is an honor also.

so who ever they pick-- Eastern guys/ Western guys-- be proud of them---- and let's hoipe they all fit the mold of a Mr. hockey candidate-- Excellent player, excellent citizen, humanitarian and student in the best of standing in his community and school.
that is all we can ask for....

I know this thread had my early list-- maybe someone wants to add to it-- or adjust it or even start another--
look back--I think the list started back a few weeks-- (many maybe) is pretty close....
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:18 pm

sioux4ever posted this back some time ago--
List: **My comments in bold--from now......
West Candidates IMO
Kovacs-Dickinson, good goalie, played well even on a weaker team in the past.Ok-But not stellar
Seeberg-BHS, looks like he is leading his team in points Fell off from earlier pt streak- but maybe
LaBere-BHS, from all accounts sounds like a solid d-man.Hasn't been talked about much
Rehak-Williston, lots of talk about this kid for a couple of years now, seems like a strong candidateWas a pre-season pick-- now slipping some--
Martin-Mandan, season was cut short last season I believe it was posted on here, look for a strong sr. season.this pick at pre-season-- was and seemed a good one, now slipping down also.

East Candidates IMO
Meland-RR, not much has to be said about him that you haven't already read on hereKeeps on rolling- he is real deal
Schaefer-RR, putting up good points Added after initial listing-- good choice-plays with Meland ona line- maybe Ladoucer gets the nod instead
Groth-South, not a lot of publicity in the past, see how his sr season goes has turned some heads- has gooten press and is leading his team in scoring, seems like a Pre-season pick was warranted
Powers-South seems to have the tools to be a strong player this is a downer--has fallen off and slipped out of thoughts for this award, had big Soph year(with Wesiiberger(Mr. hockey) and other line mate-not a strong showing in Sr. yr.
Hooey-South strong player on a strong team seems like a good pre-season pick also-- is a leader on his team.
LaDouceur-RR probably one of the best defensemen around, maybe overlooked due to the talent at RR?Good choice ofr the award- but over shadowed by Meland-- Maybe 2nd pick from the school
Galbreath-RR same as above for LaDouceur...?he was listed but can't have four guys from GFRR-even if they deserve recognition- over shadowed here too
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby crosby1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Any Mr.Hockey canidates from Central???
crosby1

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:47 am

crosby1 wrote:Any Mr.Hockey canidates from Central???

Has there been any mentioned....I like the debate going on and everyone being optomistic but really the only argueing there can be in this topic is who will be a canidate because its going to Mr. 4.0, 34 act (Meland) and if he dosnt get it the system is totally messed up!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey