Mr. Hockey Candidates Thread

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Hockey Candidates Thread

Postby No Dak06 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:41 am

I kind of thought the award was for Sr's but not 100%, thanks for clarifying that, but do need to challenge you on the Lucia camp information that you listed below. This camp was at the U of M and Gopher Puck Live did not discuss this in the same manner that you have. I understand this camp to be by invitation only, are you 100% positive that we are discussing the same thing?
No Dak06

Postby No Dak06 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:03 pm

It's the Model Camp - http://www.gopherpucklive.com/viewtopic.php?t=1711. Demers was the only kid from ND invited to this camp. I realize that your conversation is about this years Mr. Hockey - but when speaking of the best of the best, this kid has/is and will be making much more noise in the future.
No Dak06

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Do not know.

do know that he does his camp in Grand Rapids.(Lucia)
do know others that have gotten invitations to that camp.

doesn't matter at all to me what camp kids go to.
Is the player that is mentioned on this, on the Gophers Watch list? or is he on their soon to be commit list?
that would good info to know. Do you have insight to that?

I say YEH to the ND player, any player getting recruited for college hockey. It is about time some credit cames to the players of this state.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby No Dak06 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Watch list - he just turned down an invitation to play in the WCHL (Western Canadian Hockey League) as that would cut into his college eligibility.

USHL is a buzzin, but he wants to ride it out in Grafton as they have a solid group of JR's and he knows nothing is guaranteed.

I agree - the more exposure that these ND kids get the better.
No Dak06

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Heard that some teams from USHL are looking harder at Nd players.
Maybe do to the Fargo team coming inot the league.
the others probably do not want to let Fargo have ALL the best talent for the State.

I know in the past (some contacts had told me)-- Nd was like a little secret. there are a bunch real good players. And they said they do not have to recruit/ draft or etc. they don't even have to show very heavy interest, just make a call or stop by and they get any kid they want. Partly because nobody(or hardly anyone) travels to scout the state much.
that is probably changing due to the Fargo team.

I have heard(from those same contacts)-- that there are a few of the Sr.'s from this yr. that are in that Watchlist/ being looked at list, and maybe a few will get a chnace to play in the USHL(maybe not in Fargo) in the Spring or for sure next yr.
I have heard that Ladoucer, Galbreath, Meland all of GFRR are considered excellent chnaces of playing-even yet this spring.
Groth, A.Hooey- F.South, are both being scouted on a regular basis.Supposedly some teams have made some contacts even wiht the kids.
kline(G), and Haugen of Mandan, Seeburg and Labare of BHS are all on the lists of these guys scouting.
that is exciting to see.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 pm

the Jr's and Underclassmen being touted--

Demers-GPR
mohagen-GPR
Hills- GPR
Bancroft- GFRR
Kusler- BCHS
Schmidt- Minot
burdick- F.South
Narveson-F. south
Tenderloand- WF
J.Hooey-F. South
Orson-F.South
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndplaya1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 pm

Sportshound wrote:Heard that some teams from USHL are looking harder at Nd players.
Maybe do to the Fargo team coming inot the league.
the others probably do not want to let Fargo have ALL the best talent for the State.

I know in the past (some contacts had told me)-- Nd was like a little secret. there are a bunch real good players. And they said they do not have to recruit/ draft or etc. they don't even have to show very heavy interest, just make a call or stop by and they get any kid they want. Partly because nobody(or hardly anyone) travels to scout the state much.
that is probably changing due to the Fargo team.

I have heard(from those same contacts)-- that there are a few of the Sr.'s from this yr. that are in that Watchlist/ being looked at list, and maybe a few will get a chnace to play in the USHL(maybe not in Fargo) in the Spring or for sure next yr.
I have heard that Ladoucer, Galbreath, Meland all of GFRR are considered excellent chnaces of playing-even yet this spring.
Groth, A.Hooey- F.South, are both being scouted on a regular basis.Supposedly some teams have made some contacts even wiht the kids.
kline(G), and Haugen of Mandan, Seeburg and Labare of BHS are all on the lists of these guys scouting.
that is exciting to see.

alright what does this whole watchlist mean? just kids being looked at or what? and how can two mandan kids be on there...you wouldnt think they would be seen at all. im not hating but im just curious. great for them.
ndplaya1

Postby Sportshound » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:20 pm

OK ndplaya1- don't be hating.

Mandan plays teams that have guys watching too.

I think that if you open up your mind and believe that there are scouts (even in ND) or that travel to ND, as said before, ND is not immune now.
they can't just wait, if there are players here that a scout deems "need to see" then the coaches/other scouts will make there way to a game or two.

Watch list- kids that need to be seen. watched ie: scouted to have them make a determination on their ability.
I listed, in that previous post, some names that the contact that told me had mentioned. There are more, obviously there are more kids playing in the state that are being looked at.
No need to be to critical,or upset, it isn't an exact science. And just because I didn't list your favorite player, in what I had heard, doesn't mean that he isn't getting a look.
As for the younger kids--it is no surprise- heck i believe that Kusler, Schmidt were listed in the USHL (possible) draft list last yr., Orson is listed in there now.
The older guys, meaning Sr's- are now getting to the point of where they will/or might get contacted by the teams.
Wasn't it Werdon of F.south that went to a USHL team last year, right after the State tourney? not sure on spelling or what team he is/or was at.
some of the guys this year, might get that opportunity also.
Good for Hockey in ND-- get as many scouts up here as possible, we have good hockey players.
Of course I say this as My Opinion!
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndplaya1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:06 am

Sportshound wrote:OK ndplaya1- don't be hating.

Mandan plays teams that have guys watching too.

I think that if you open up your mind and believe that there are scouts (even in ND) or that travel to ND, as said before, ND is not immune now.
they can't just wait, if there are players here that a scout deems "need to see" then the coaches/other scouts will make there way to a game or two.

Watch list- kids that need to be seen. watched ie: scouted to have them make a determination on their ability.
I listed, in that previous post, some names that the contact that told me had mentioned. There are more, obviously there are more kids playing in the state that are being looked at.
No need to be to critical,or upset, it isn't an exact science. And just because I didn't list your favorite player, in what I had heard, doesn't mean that he isn't getting a look.
As for the younger kids--it is no surprise- heck i believe that Kusler, Schmidt were listed in the USHL (possible) draft list last yr., Orson is listed in there now.
The older guys, meaning Sr's- are now getting to the point of where they will/or might get contacted by the teams.
Wasn't it Werdon of F.south that went to a USHL team last year, right after the State tourney? not sure on spelling or what team he is/or was at.
some of the guys this year, might get that opportunity also.
Good for Hockey in ND-- get as many scouts up here as possible, we have good hockey players.
Of course I say this as My Opinion!

alright, one more question. is alot of the exposure to west players based on the nd website or does that even come to play? only asking cause the updates are sometimes not there for awhile you know so i was just wondering.
ndplaya1

Postby Sportshound » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:33 pm

wouldn't say it is web-based. Scouts have to watch kids skate/play to get a look and a feel.

I am just saying that my contacts say that there are scouts now watching in the state of ND.
and that is probably lead by the Fact that Fargo is going USHl next yr.

they all had this area a secret place to find the diamond in the rough(or possible player for their team).
They didn't have to list or draft or do anything before, they could just make contact and get kids.

so these contacts of mine tell me that the state has had/will have scouts sliding in and out on a regular basis. Even in the West.
It is true-- I even talked to one scout at a BHS game earlier. just by chance we were standing next to each other.

don't be negative, be happy that NOW Nd is getting some notice.
Dean Blais will not be alone with all the kids from ND, he will have to bargin and plan for some of the kids that are tops in the state, if he wants them. That is a good thing, don't you think?
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:47 pm

nick shaefer had 5 goals 2 assists last nite and before that he had 4 goals and a couple assists.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:17 am

Think he will be overshadowed by Meland and Ladoucer though.

Meland Leading the Way
Ladoucer
Groth
Hooey? possibly
Labare?
Kovacs? possibly
Seeburg- Slipped some--? So Don't know anymore
Anyone have any others?

The top three are a good bet right now.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ButtonsTheClown » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:32 am

In my opinion, it's Meland hands down....leader, scorer, playmaker on the best team in the state.
ButtonsTheClown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jefferson Clark » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:59 pm

i know i will get severly criticized for this probably but i think mr hockey should be someone who has done a little extra for their team . helped turn the team around, brought the team together, basically had to battle through a little adversity and wasnt always in the limelight. i mean dont get me wrong meland sounds like a great kid he does it all but he walked into the best team in the state and just had to pick it up from there and hes playin with most of the more talented kids in the state too. just a thought
Jefferson Clark

Postby Sportshound » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:49 pm

JC-- all fine and good-- but they have to be a player that has made an impact, not only on their team-- but be a factor for the opposing teams to think about.
The Coaches in the state supply candidates-

Not sure how the award is picked.

But I think we see-- the front runners, out there right now. They all make impacts ont heir teams, they impact games vs. their opponents, and the ones that become finalists are also good students, citizens and volunteers in communities &or are in good standing and likihng in their home schools(meaning Admin likes them too)

Meland- GFRR
Ladoucer- GFRR
Groth- F South
hooey- F. South
Kovacs- Dickinson
Labare- ? Maybe from BHS
Can't think of anyone else out here in the West....

So these guys are probably the grp that will be picked from.
Meland Leads that-- with Grades, Scoring, team impact this yr. and etc.

Sorry-- but they would ahve to impressing the opposing coaches also.
that makes sense.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:45 pm

I think we can take Kovacs off the list and put down either Eichle or Klein, and i am pretty sure but not positive that mr. hockey is based purley on hockey ability and nothing outside of it, because the coaches vote on it and not all of them know whos doing what in school or the community.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Sauce-- I can live with Kovacs off- Kline(Mandan) on.
Maybe Eichle???

kline along with the rest of the team may see their way to state.
That would bode well for his chnaces.

The rest of the list is solid I think
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:03 am

Saucesauer wrote:I think we can take Kovacs off the list and put down either Eichle or Klein, and i am pretty sure but not positive that mr. hockey is based purley on hockey ability and nothing outside of it, because the coaches vote on it and not all of them know whos doing what in school or the community.

If this were true, is there any reason Wurden shouldn't have won Mr. Hockey last year? And are there any reasons Meland shouldn't win it this year?
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:21 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:I think we can take Kovacs off the list and put down either Eichle or Klein, and i am pretty sure but not positive that mr. hockey is based purley on hockey ability and nothing outside of it, because the coaches vote on it and not all of them know whos doing what in school or the community.

If this were true, is there any reason Wurden shouldn't have won Mr. Hockey last year? And are there any reasons Meland shouldn't win it this year?

Ya because Herbel is dang good! he didnt have the team around him and look what he did! I am gussing Wurden couldnt have done that with that Bott. team. the only reason i say Eichle is because his team has only lost 1 game so i figured just throw him out there???
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 am

Herbal--was very good, He wasn't the only player they had at Botno.
obviously they had some guys to throw him the puck. he did score a ton, and was also a factor in any of their games.
he was over-all the best player, that did the most for his team, that made difference when he was on the ice(which in Botno's case--all the time).
hockeyhigh-- Wurden was good but not that good, he had supporting cast of some very good players, he just happened to be ont he ice a ton.
he probably could have done more for his team had he gotten some rests-just a thought(after watching EDC and State last year)- he got tired very early in the 3rd periods of many of those games, and couldn't use his skills later in the game.

herbal- played a ton, but he also put up big numbers vs, some teams in the west that were, by standards below the #6-7-8 teams in the east.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:41 am

don't mean to rag on our teams here in the West, but some are not to the level of play of most in the East(just the facts).
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Sportshound wrote:hockeyhigh-- Wurden was good but not that good, he had supporting cast of some very good players, he just happened to be ont he ice a ton.
he probably could have done more for his team had he gotten some rests-just a thought(after watching EDC and State last year)- he got tired very early in the 3rd periods of many of those games, and couldn't use his skills later in the game.

I really disagree with the whole bold comment above. He is good but not that good? He is currently skating in the USHL. He must be doing something right.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thenatural » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Wurden was hands down the best senior last year. If you asked anybody that played varsity hockey that wasnt from the bias west teams they all wouldvt said the same thing about Wurden. And that is that he is dumb and really good at hockey.
thenatural
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ButtonsTheClown » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm

SH said...

"Wurden was good but not that good, he had supporting cast of some very good players, he just happened to be ont he ice a ton.
he probably could have done more for his team had he gotten some rests-just a thought(after watching EDC and State last year)- he got tired very early in the 3rd periods of many of those games, and couldn't use his skills later in the game."

He could have done more for his team had he gotten some rests? He was on ice because he was the best player in the state. I don't think the South coaching staff would allow him to sit...afraid they'd get scored on if he was sitting - I also think that is why they are thin at Defense this year - no experience to jump up and take Wurden's minutes. Just my opinion.
ButtonsTheClown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:08 pm

buttons- good observation, I wasn't saying he wasn't the Best D man. I didn't even say he wasn't the best in the state last yr.
he got shafted a little by having to play all those minutes, and was not able to display his talent later in close games, when he could have taken over and made everyone on his team better.

he probably(in my opinion) could have been the leading scorer in the state, had he gotten more rest in games.

he is good and will be a good player for any team he is on. He is playing in USHl(with who) now-- and Herbel in the NAHL(bismarck), so both seem to be and were good candidates(last yr).

Bold comment- just an opinion-and it was mine. sioux4ever, I was making a point.
playing to many minutes by any one player can hurt the team, in most cases.Help them get points yes-- but can also be bad for the team. Herbel did it becasue they didn't have much, Wurden had to do it, as the comment was made in a post by buttons the clown.

Although Wurden, did handle it very well, he was tired in the 3rd period of the games I saw last yr.

Now to the thread--- We are discussing more about this years Sr. grp....
and who is possible Mr.Hockey? Meland leads the way so far.
Meland,Ladoucer, Groth, Hooey,Schaefer, Galbreath?, kline?, others? do not think they will have 4 kids from one school though.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey