Interest in hockey in ND

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:05 am

How come the baseball section has more posts then the hockey section? I thought hockey was more popular.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby kel20Nd » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 pm

hockey is not big in the west
kel20Nd

Postby mhsund » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 pm

kel20Nd wrote:hockey is not big in the west

Yes it is.
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Postby highheat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:02 pm

id have to agree that hockey is not much of an interest to people in the west. the interest in basketball, fall, and spring sports is much higher than hockey.
highheat

Postby mhsund » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:21 pm

Depends on what town you live in and how the teams are doing. That is how the west goes.
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RazorsEdge » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:11 pm

You should check the gate receipts from the West Region tourney versus the East before you say hockey is not big out West.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 pm

RazorsEdge wrote:You should check the gate receipts from the West Region tourney versus the East before you say hockey is not big out West.

Yeah, but if you check the West vs. East receipts (and kept track of who comes from where) the East would be predominantly showing, by at least a 30:1 ratio =)

Most people in the EDC don't really care about it, as all it comes down to is the state tournement either way. The only large student sections I saw at the EDC tournement were at the Grafton - South game, and a mostly RR student section at the RR/South game. Not many people see a reason to go to EDC.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tide04 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:26 pm

I believe you just shot down the west vs east interest comment.  If you are interested in hockey, you go to the game no matter who is playing.  If you can't get yourself to go to the EDC tournament, how interested can you be in hockey?
Tide04
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mhsund » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Tide04 wrote:I believe you just shot down the west vs east interest comment.  If you are interested in hockey, you go to the game no matter who is playing.  If you can't get yourself to go to the EDC tournament, how interested can you be in hockey?

Great point...why not go to EDC?
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RazorsEdge » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:09 am

I believe without GPR and DL fans they could have played the EDC in the Gambucci. For such a hockey town the Grand Forks schools had poor fan support. And will not have much more at state.
Last edited by RazorsEdge on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:08 am

Yeh i think it was very poor also. But kids from RR take ti fro granted thye are in cuz they havent missed  state since RR was built. Also, GFC's attendance has been horrible all season even vs RR. Talked to a few of the kdis form there and they are jsut sore losers. They think they might as well not go if they are going to lose.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby hcky1616 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:29 am

There's a baseball diamond or a basketball court in every small town in North Dakota, not so with hockey rinks, tis the reason State Class B Bball is so popular. Check your local paper, with the possible exception of the GF Herald, the girls bball regional likely overshadowed the State Hockey hype.  Hockey is difficult for a layman to understand, and if your father didn't play, chances are you are a basketball player. Statewide High School baseball doesn't have much of a following either other than the families of the players. But hockey has a hook, once you've played you'll never go back, ask anyone who has played. Gotta Luv it !
hcky1616

Postby money2128 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:03 am

hcky1616 wrote:There's a baseball diamond or a basketball court in every small town in North Dakota, not so with hockey rinks, tis the reason State Class B Bball is so popular. Check your local paper, with the possible exception of the GF Herald, the girls bball regional likely overshadowed the State Hockey hype.  Hockey is difficult for a layman to understand, and if your father didn't play, chances are you are a basketball player. Statewide High School baseball doesn't have much of a following either other than the families of the players. But hockey has a hook, once you've played you'll never go back, ask anyone who has played. Gotta Luv it !

Agree

Not only the lack of support from smaller schools but i'm sure cost figures in the equation also.  Hockey is an expensive sport to play.
money2128
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 pm

money2128 wrote:Agree

Not only the lack of support from smaller schools but i'm sure cost figures in the equation also.  Hockey is an expensive sport to play.

My brand new Vapor 30's and my Pumps only cost me $900, what are you talking about expensive!

:shock:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to Hockey