Best Defensemen

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Defensemen

Postby gfhockeyrules » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:18 am

Several Defensemen to watch this year, currently playing in the Midwest Elite I League this Fall...

Ryan Hills - Grafton
Luke Cieklinski - GF Central
Danny Ray - GF Central
Grant Narveson - Fargo South
Nick Romanick - Bismarck
David Burdick - Fargo South (Alternate)

All of these players will definitely be a factor this year during the High School season, as they all should see significant ice time.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:40 pm

gfhockeyrules wrote:Several Defensemen to watch this year, currently playing in the Midwest Elite I League this Fall...

Ryan Hills - Grafton
Luke Cieklinski - GF Central
Danny Ray - GF Central
Grant Narveson - Fargo South
Nick Romanick - Bismarck
David Burdick - Fargo South (Alternate)

All of these players will definitely be a factor this year during the High School season, as they all should see significant ice time.

I've been wondering, how are these players selected to try out for the Elite I teams? Sorry to point him out, but Luke Cieklinski didn't impress me much at all, and he takes a plethora of penalties. Whereas Bryce Anderson (With a lot of points, and did very well last year) didn't get a tryout. (As far as I know, since he's not rostered)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockeyrules » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:46 pm

I believe that the Elite 1 tryouts were by invite only, and Anderson was not invited. Supposedly they need to be recommended by their High School coach, and has since transferred to Grand Forks RR, because of this, and It sounds like this kid is not very coachable.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:07 am

gfhockeyrules wrote:I believe that the Elite 1 tryouts were by invite only, and Anderson was not invited. Supposedly they need to be recommended by their High School coach, and has since transferred to Grand Forks RR, because of this, and It sounds like this kid is not very coachable.

Is there some form of substance behind the comment "it sounds like this kid is not very coachable"? What makes him not coachable? Is it because he has transferred that he is uncoachable?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockeyrules » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:37 am

Why would someone let their kid transfer from their High School team right before their SENIOR year - obviously there are issues with the coach, and I think that came back to bite him. This is through the grapevine... but I have heard that Anderson does not like to stick to his position, which is "DEFENSE" , and would rather play for points. In the Elite League, they are expected to play on both ends of the rink, and I think that also hurt his chances.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Danny Wurden from FS was an offensive defenseman. He played Elite I's for two years.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockeyrules » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:24 pm

You are correct. But, he also played a little Defense to go with it, and he was not 5 ft 5 inches tall.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sioux4ever » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:17 pm

gfhockeyrules wrote:Why would someone let their kid transfer from their High School team right before their SENIOR year - obviously there are issues with the coach, and I think that came back to bite him. This is through the grapevine... but I have heard that Anderson does not like to stick to his position, which is "DEFENSE" , and would rather play for points. In the Elite League, they are expected to play on both ends of the rink, and I think that also hurt his chances.

Why would someone let their kid transfer? So you think the parent tells the kid where to go to school. This topic has been around regarding this transfer for a few weeks now. From the sounds of it talking to people involved with hockey, he went to G.F. Central as a freshmen even though he lives in the R.R. district. So because he transferred, he had issues? I don't approve or disapprove of the transfer, but let's not spread rumors as to why he transferred unless you are in fact Bryce Anderson. I am sure only he knows the exact reason he transferred. Maybe he transferred because R.R. graduated LaDouceur and Galbreath at D. Maybe he transferred to go back to school with his friends he grew up with. Maybe he did have issues with the coach. Who knows. Let's not kick the kid because he decided to transfer, he is obviously a good player, and was Central's highest point scorer last season. He will be fine transferring and Central will be just fine with their returning defensemen.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:19 pm

^---
That. Right there.
Nice explanation Sioux.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:06 pm

you listed these guys (GOOD GROUP) (*My take on these guys)

Ryan Hills - Grafton (* good with the puck, not an big threat on offense, smart and strong)
Luke Cieklinski - GF Central (** does have PIM's on his mind, but can be that enforcer most teams need)
Danny Ray - GF Central (good with the puck, a little to off. minded at times)
Grant Narveson - Fargo South (big physical-would have helped FS last yr. poised for a good year, if head isn't too big)-- word was he would be making the FORCE team though. Surprised he will be on FS team.
Nick Romanick - Bismarck (Big physical and can shoot the puck. sometimes undisciplined though, can get to his head also-- and then trouble happens for him)
David Burdick - Fargo South (Alternate) (Big talk about him a year ago, he was OK not great in state tourney for FS, has to play more rounded--both ends stronger)

All played very well last year on their respective teams. ****But as we see they are stuggling(Team Great plains in Elite league, this fall) agianst top notch talent, and that happens when D are not real good or solid to the core.

Just a few to add as possible Top D-Men from the East:
As i see it, FSouth has the deepest group-
Narveson, burdick (as mentioned) add in : Lucke, Huey (they both played a ton at the State tourney-when i saw them play, more than burdick played)
Narveson of course was not playing due to injury. Is he going to come back from the leg injury?

FNorth- has the young kid- brennaman- who has played since his freshman yr. seasoned vet now.
he looked good also at state.

And do not forget that Mandan made the state tourney for the first time in (forever) long time. They have a team that is primarily returning- yes some key players -lost to Graduation-IE: Kline(G), haugen(f), Martin(f)-- the other seniors played smaller roles. they have a good bunch returning( including Riopelle, who could be tops in the West at Forward this year*Not hyped like some others but excellent) and will probably make a little noise again this year. We hope anyways.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:45 pm

[quote="Sportshound"]All played very well last year on their respective teams. ****But as we see they are stuggling(Team Great plains in Elite league, this fall) agianst top notch talent, and that happens when D are not real good or solid to the core.
quote]

I like your assessment on the players. I really only wanted to comment on this part. One would argue against your point that you can have the best set of defensemen available and if your goalie is not stopping the puck, the team will fail. I have not had a chance to watch the Elite league, but with save percentages around 82 and 83, it doesnt matter who is playing, you're not going to do well. Maybe their save percentages are that low because the defensemen are playing poorly and giving up quality scoring chances. Maybe the team is playing well and the goalies are not. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration. Is there anyone that has any insight into this? Have they watched the Elite league play?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockeyrules » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:30 am

I have watched a few games, and the team's record is not indicative of they have played.. One of the goalies quit, Linderg-Jamestown, after a rough 3-4 games, and it now looks like they are starting to gel after winning 2 of 3 last weekend. I think it was a combination of the Goalie play, Defensive play, and lack of scoring that hurt them the first few weeks. Several of the losses have been 1-2 goal games, so there is definitely room for improvement. Should be interesting to see how they do in the League Tourney, as they will probably be a lower seed - and could surprise several teams.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportshound » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:21 am

Fair enough Sioux4ever ---- I guess you have a point I have not watched any games.
only going off the stats. didn't see the Goalie Save %'s either.
Weak minded goalie if he quits only 3-4 games into it. To get chosen, he must have shown some talent.. Right???
I would think in that same way, but the D-Men need to make sure(when goalie struggles) to get the play off to the sides, and drive the puck away, not let anyone play in the middle period. plus the F's need to be coming back hard, in those tough situations, not floating high for the kick outs... With some of the Forwards I would say, they tend to bounce up high and wait for the D to flip it out to them and then try to go 3 on 2 the other way.
they (the ND boys) can get away witht hat in ND hockey, all season long. Is a test when they are expected to play both ends, like they need to in Elite league.

just an idea.
D are good for ND, need work to be considered top notch in MN.
your thoughts on that?
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:47 pm

You could very well be correct. I think we could make a good case for argument that in alphabetic order Burdick, Cieklinski, Hills, Narveson, Ray, and Romanick are closer to the top 6 defensemen in the state than the bottom 6. There are possibly others that are just as strong and just choose not to participate in fall hockey, I don't know. I think you may be right that even N.D. top D-man is probably not to the caliber of the top MN D-man. Last year, I think it is safe to say that LaDouceur was the best defensemen in the state. How does he compare to Joe Gleason? Aaron Ness? How would this years crop of defensemen compare to those defensemen? Any thoughts?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 pm

The Great Plains team has been having a pretty weak showing this year. I haven't been to any games, but their record is definitely down from what it has been. I don't think you can blame that on any one component of the team though, each player on the ice factors into it.

Sioux4ever wrote:There are possibly others that are just as strong and just choose not to participate in fall hockey, I don't know.

The tryouts for Elite I's are closed tryouts, and invite only. That requires a coaches vouch and a player to be well tracked. It doesn't necessarily mean the best skill. I'm sure plenty of players in ND that aren't on the Elite I team could have made it had they tried out, but they either didn't wish to (if they were asked) or they were never asked. I always thought they should be open tryouts, but I've got no power over that. The best players should be allowed to play, not the ones with the best face value.

I think you may be right that even N.D. top D-man is probably not to the caliber of the top MN D-man. Last year, I think it is safe to say that LaDouceur was the best defensemen in the state. How does he compare to Joe Gleason? Aaron Ness? How would this years crop of defensemen compare to those defensemen? Any thoughts?

LaDouceur was not near par with Aaron Ness. There may be a straggling ND player every few years that is on a comparative level with top notch MN talent, like Weisgarber (sp?) was as a forward, but I just didn't see LaDouceur as a huge threat as Ness was in MN. Whenever Ness was on the ice, you could definitely tell that he was in control of his surroundings, and though Deuce did very well at his position, it wasn't like Ness was.

As for this year, you'll have to wait and see. Season starts November 10th.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby jpad28 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 pm

i would have to say that cliff butler from minot might be the best defenceman
jpad28

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Uh, who is he?
NDHighSchoolHockey.com reset their stats from last year, but I don't recognize the name at all.
It'd be real hard to compete with what defense are coming out of the east this year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyguy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:24 pm

yea i dont know who he is either
hockeyguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:13 pm

Cliff Butler (Sophomore 2007-2008)
Position: F/D
0 Goals
0 Assists
0 Points
4 Penalties
16 Penalty Minutes
24 Games Played (Entire season)

http://ndhighschoolhockey.com/NorthDako ... ?teamid=79

Not to demean the player, I doubt he's the one that posted it, don't make a new account to post a player that obviously isn't the best in the state.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby StateChamp55 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Ryan Hills-Grafton, Great all-around player, will need to pull the Grafton boys together for a run at back-to-back state championships
Luke Cieklinski - GF Central, best defensman on the team
Danny Ray - GF Central, Will help Central if they are to make a run at a state title
Nick Romanick - Bismarck,Looked like a promising player in State Tourney last season
David Burdick-Fargo South, Had to step up and be #1 defenseman when Narveson went down for South last year, tons of varsity experience.
Josh Hooey-Fargo South, also plays linebacker on Fargo South's football team,a little known darkhorse but looking like a young Danny Wurden from EDC and State last year.
StateChamp55

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:26 am

StateChamp55 wrote:Ryan Hills-Grafton, Great all-around player, will need to pull the Grafton boys together for a run at back-to-back state championships

I agree, great player, but it's going to be difficult for him to step into the shoes of leading a team in the place of Demers.

Luke Cieklinski - GF Central, best defensman on the team

I'd argue that Bryce Anderson was far better, but he left. Luke has a presence on the ice, but his attitude (at least on-ice) and his effectiveness as a whole is about par for the course.

Danny Ray - GF Central, Will help Central if they are to make a run at a state title

He'll be good, but still needs time and experience to develop.

Nick Romanick - Bismarck,Looked like a promising player in State Tourney last season

I'll be honest, I didn't really watch Bismark play. However, the only player that did stand out to me when Bismark played was Seeberg, so I'll have to pull on this one.

David Burdick-Fargo South, Had to step up and be #1 defenseman when Narveson went down for South last year, tons of varsity experience.

Pretty solid player, will do well with the experienced team that South has coming up. South will have 2 solid lefties in place at the points for their first two lines with these two. (Narveson and Burdick)

Josh Hooey-Fargo South, also plays linebacker on Fargo South's football team,a little known dark horse but looking like a young Danny Wurden from EDC and State last year.

I think plenty of us know who Hooey is, so I wouldn't really call him a dark horse. He did have confidence with the puck, but it got him into trouble at times. Comparing him to Danny Wurden isn't believable though, Wurden was an incredible player, very rare.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockeyrules » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 am

If you are rating Defenseman based solely on offense points, then Bryce Anderson might be ranked abit higher, but I heard he might be playing Forward for Red RIver this year, since he doesn't want to DEFEND anyone? I would argue that I would count on several of the Central Defenseman ahead of him. (Cieklinski, Ray, Spicer, Ladue)
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby StateChamp55 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:19 pm

Wurden was and is a phenominal player. I was just trying to make a reference to a recent noteable Fargo South defenseman that we all would know. The only other person I can think of that is comparable to Wurden is Jake Marto. But I don't want this discussion to start. :mrgreen:
StateChamp55

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 am

StateChamp55 wrote:Wurden was and is a phenominal player. I was just trying to make a reference to a recent noteable Fargo South defenseman that we all would know. The only other person I can think of that is comparable to Wurden is Jake Marto. But I don't want this discussion to start. :mrgreen:

why not? it is a legitimate discussion, if he is a compariable player to Marto so be it.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeyguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 am

who do u guys see as the top 5 defensemen in the state?
hockeyguy
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey