Best Defensemen

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best Defensemen

Postby gfhockeyrules » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 am

From what I have observed so far this year, these are the best overall Defenseman - not in any particular order..

Fargo South - Hooey, Burdick, (Narveson now a Forward)
GFC - Cieklinski, Ray
Grafton - Hills
Bismarck - Romanick
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:45 pm

gfhockeyrules wrote:Fargo South - Hooey, Burdick, (Narveson now a Forward)
GFC - Cieklinski, Ray
Grafton - Hills
Bismarck - Romanick

I'll add:
Red River - Bryce Anderson
South - Danny Luecke, Matt Wagner
West Fargo - Derek Sand

In my eyes I see a defenseman for how they play defensively, and as it seems that you go down the list of the top teams looking for defense with the top points (You missed Bryce Anderson of RR btw, or maybe didn't intend to include him?). This is a way to classify an offensiveman much more than a defenseman. I think Central Hockey Fan would agree (He said he was at the South/RR game)

During that game I saw that the more aggressive the defense the more often they gave up odd man rushes in the back end of a rush. Hooey/Burdick of South and Bryce Anderson of RR seemed to join the rush a lot more without worrying about giving up an odd man rush. This created a lot of opportunities (for both ends) that ended up with a 2 or even 3 on 1 rush in the other direction. Players like these get a lot of points, but they can also cost their team too if they're not careful. Burdick and Hooey both have defensive defensemen behind them (In Wagner and Luecke respectively) that break up the rushes a majority of the time, but it's dangerous. Anderson on the other hand (although he seems more careful) doesn't have the defensive player with the experience to cover for him like the previous pairings. This costs Red River a lot on the defensive side of the rush, and South definitely capitalized on it.

However, this is all an observation from a single game, but it was pretty interesting to watch all the odd man rushes in the game that could have easily been prevented. On this note, I believe it's more important that you're looking at a defenseman for more than just his points, or you're sending the kids the wrong message of what a defenseman's job really is; which is to play defense.

----

On a side note, I was looking through the statistics of the players to make sure I'm getting this out correctly, but how does Hills have 38 PIM? It's a good thing to be an aggressive defenseman in order to keep players worried about you, but taking a lot of penalties like that can really hurt a team in the long run. Grafton as a whole seems to be getting in a lot of penalty trouble so far this season, and could be one of the things plaguing them. (This is far deeper than just Hills)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:53 pm

aaronrules wrote:I don't know about defenseman, but Bruce Murphy is definately the most rounded player on the ice.

If posts like these are made to be funny and are off-topic from the conversation, they will be deleted by a moderator.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:
aaronrules wrote:I don't know about defenseman, but Bruce Murphy is definately the most rounded player on the ice.

If posts like these are made to be funny and are off-topic from the conversation, they will be deleted by a moderator.

Done.
Not even a Bruce Murphy on Bismarck's varsity.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Sioux4ever wrote:

Done.
Note even a Bruce Murphy on Bismarck's varsity.

Thanks HH, I thought I would throw out a warning first.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 am

I checked his other posts in the Hockey forum, and they generally seem like a joke. Feel free to delete those that are that apparent (listing a player that doesn't even play Varsity hockey in a "Best Defenseman" thread).
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Timmay07 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Im sorry, but Cieklinski has looked like a pylon everytime ive watched him.
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockeyrules » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:42 am

"What you just said, we are now dumber for reading it" Obviously you havent seen many Central games this year, as Chieklinski has probably been the on the ice for the least amount of goals scored by their opponents.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Hockey