Underrated Players in State

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Orr4 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:41 am

Who do you think is the most underrated player in state?
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Eric Herbel

"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby highheat » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:00 pm

tanner bombenger from north and tanner hills from grafton
highheat

Postby RazorsEdge » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:39 pm

I Agree, Eric Herbel from Bottineau.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby coast2coast » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:06 pm

Herbel is overrated.  Any of the top 20 players in the state, with his schedule and his role on his team (struggle hole), would have similar points.  Example - Tyrel McBain last year on Hazen, his role, shoot the puck whenever he touched it.  He had a ton of points.  This year, his role is be as fast and skilled as the rest of South just so he can get some playing time.

Any top East player would have more points.

Edit: I have seen him play once this year, I'm not basing this on any East bias.
Last edited by coast2coast on Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coast2coast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UND#1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Nathan Stremick from minot doesnt get enough credit.  He is top 5 in scoring in the state, and he plays for a sub par group of forwards.  Ive seen him play a couple times and he sets his line mates up constatly.
UND#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:57 am

Caleb haugen from Mandan
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby chachi_j2007 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 am

nobody from mandan is underrated, because mandan is no good.
chachi_j2007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby undgf » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:47 pm

Just because you are on a bad team doesn't make the player bad. Haugen is underrrated and doesnt have a chance with the coaching situation there. Tanner Hills is also underrated gets lost with all the other good palyers from east. Herbel is overrated points are misleading, playing against JV teams, Canadian teams, they only play the better teams from west once or the JV. Stremick is underrated and doesn't have any help on his line-great soccer player, good feet no hands and a overrated freshan.
undgf
NDPreps Reserve

Postby minotfan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Nathan Stremick is very underrated.  He is a great passer and sets up a lot of scoring opportunities for his linemates, but the problem is that his linemates have trouble putting the puck in the net.
minotfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldTimer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:08 pm

First off by overrated or underrated we really need some perameters to make a valid argument. So many players in north dakota are rated strictly on the points they get. hockey has changed and players are begging for assists after a teammate scores a goal. In the same sense other players aren't passing because they want to be goal scorers. My rating of a player isn't going to come from strictly points. Whether they are overrated or underrated is all dependent upon who is doing the rating and what categories they are basing their opinions upon. Two players that i believe are complete hockey players in north dakota are Danny Wurden and Tanner Hills. Wurden has emerged as one of the few leaders of the Bruins and will go on after high school. Two other players from the team had the assistant captain taken away from them because they were greedy. Tanner continues to lead the spoilers as one of the most complete offensive and defensive players in the state, and also has the ability to be an impact player after high school. It will be very exciting to see these two players in the playoffs and possibly state tournament. I think the other players menioned are pretty good players but each have strong points and weak points to their game and it's not their strong points that will keep them from moving on but rather their weaknesses.
OldTimer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby siouxfan4life » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:39 pm

Well put Oldtimer.  Points can be extremely misleading.  They are not only a product of the system the player plays in but who they skate with and the competition level they are playing against.
siouxfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby showtime » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Danny Wurden is by far a good hockey player with fantasic skills out on the ice, but if you want to say that he isn't greedy than i don't know what is.  Every time the guy touches the puck he skates the length of the ice and then shoots no matter what the situation is. Danny Wurden is a very very talented hockey player but has his downfalls too.
showtime
NDPreps Reserve

Postby iwantsyndogs » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:59 pm

showtime wrote:Danny Wurden is by far a good hockey player with fantasic skills out on the ice, but if you want to say that he isn't greedy than i don't know what is.  Every time the guy touches the puck he skates the length of the ice and then shoots no matter what the situation is. Danny Wurden is a very very talented hockey player but has his downfalls too.

Yeah I guess you're right, I guess you know more than Sioux City does of the USHL.  He's agreed to play there after the high school season.  But he has downfalls?  Come on you're smarter than that. 
iwantsyndogs
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 pm

chachi_j2007 wrote:nobody from mandan is underrated, because mandan is no good.

Have you seen the kid play? Has been playing on the 91 selects for the last 4 years, and if you have ever seen him play this year. The kid can dangle like no other, makes plays happen, his weakness is that he is on a bad team. because if you have seen him play you would not be posting that statment he's, top three players in the west for sure.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby ironrange » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 pm

Eric Herbel is far from overrated. You guys just need to listen to baller he has it right.  They say that Stremick has subpar linemates have you seen who Herbel gets to play with.  He has to contend with two or three guys after him every time he touches the puck.  Wathced Minot Bottineau the other night and Herbel outplyed Stremick handsdown. Not trying to stir anything up but Herbel is good.
ironrange

Postby siouxme101 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Herbel is one of, if not the most skilled player in the state.  I wish I could see him play in a tough league, with some great linemates.  He's quick, has some of the best hands I've seen, and is a great playmaker with no one to finish it.
siouxme101

Postby creme de la creme » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:44 pm

who will be the top teams representing each side of the state at the ralph?
i saw 'em in eastbay kid
creme de la creme
NDPreps Reserve

Postby stud » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Herbal is good against weak teams and it is nice to see the Bott. boys bragging him up. What happened when they went to Jamestown welding shut him down , mandan haugen out played him, minot stemick took care of him, he did get a goal until in game, hate to see what happens if he goes against miller or meland or wurdan he is top 4-6 in the west tho
stud
NDPreps Rookie

Postby siouxme101 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:16 am

I'm not from Bottineau actually. I'm not saying he's necessarily the biggest impact player, I'm saying he's the most skilled.  He needs to use all of his skills to be the best player in the state.  If Bott was in the east he wouldn't be putting up those numbers, but if he was playing in the east on a solid team like South/Red River he'd be doing the same thing, if not more.  Give him some credit, he's a really fun kid to watch!
siouxme101

Postby scrappy23 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:40 am

THe why doesnt herbel do good in selects? I heard he does horrible in that level.  
scrappy23

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:24 pm

siouxme101 wrote:I'm not from Bottineau actually. I'm not saying he's necessarily the biggest impact player, I'm saying he's the most skilled.  He needs to use all of his skills to be the best player in the state.  If Bott was in the east he wouldn't be putting up those numbers, but if he was playing in the east on a solid team like South/Red River he'd be doing the same thing, if not more.  Give him some credit, he's a really fun kid to watch!

he wouldn't play much, he's not at the level starters from south or red river are at, plus don't forget the best player from the west transfered to south this year so hes not even here to possibly take the look off of herbel.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootball » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:51 pm

creme de la creme wrote:who will be the top teams representing each side of the state at the ralph?

Minot, Bismark, Jamestown, and Williston out of the west.   Red River, Grafton, South, and DL out of the east.  In that order.
ndfootball

Postby rep » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:52 pm

ndfootball wrote:
creme de la creme wrote:who will be the top teams representing each side of the state at the ralph?

Minot, Bismark, Jamestown, and Williston out of the west.   Red River, Grafton, South, and DL out of the east.  In that order.

after the brawl with bismarck, it suddenly becomes a lot less automatic if jamestown will make state i think. maybe they can do it, maybe they can't...not a clue, but it certainly is a little more interesting.

with the jays missing some of their defensemen all of a sudden frenzel could go wild and i think jhs could drop that game...once you are in the loser's bracket, who knows what happens.
rep

Postby ironrange » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:22 am

Ditka14 wrote:
siouxme101 wrote:I'm not from Bottineau actually. I'm not saying he's necessarily the biggest impact player, I'm saying he's the most skilled.  He needs to use all of his skills to be the best player in the state.  If Bott was in the east he wouldn't be putting up those numbers, but if he was playing in the east on a solid team like South/Red River he'd be doing the same thing, if not more.  Give him some credit, he's a really fun kid to watch!

he wouldn't play much, he's not at the level starters from south or red river are at, plus don't forget the best player from the west transfered to south this year so hes not even here to possibly take the look off of herbel.

i guess we will just have to wait for team North Dakota and see.
ironrange

Next

Return to Hockey