Best Goalie in the State

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby traynor5 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:08 pm

just wandering what you thought.

my pick is micheal hillman
traynor5
NDPreps Rookie

Postby highheat » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:30 pm

sean dichert or michael hillman
highheat

Postby Orr4 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Pat Arnason is doin very good for RR
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 pm

Would it be fair to put Grant Kovacs of Dickinson in the top five? He's having a good year. Numbers-wise, Arneson is having the best year, I would say. Of course, he has the best overall team too.

I watched Hillman and I was impressed. He is like 5-9 , 145 pounds on the roster. Kovacs is like 6-4, 220. They looked like David and Goliath. Hillman, Deichert, Arneson and Kovacs as the top four?

Let me know what the opinion on this is!
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fellowes » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 am

I think it would be fair to say that the two best goalies in the East Region are Sean Deichert of Fargo South and Patirck Arnason of Grand Forks Red River. Deichert will likely go on and continue to play junior hockey next season, he is strong fundamentaly and has good size, he has a history with the Dakota Select program and Elite League( 3 years). Arnason's year on the statistical side is impressive, although he doesnt see many shots as he plays for the number one team in the state. Any time you post a G.A.A. of 0.89 and a SV% of 95% its an indication hes doing his job through 9 games played. I've seen Arnason play 3 times this season he looked pretty composed in 3 victories. Deichert was a member of the All East Region Team, All East Region Tournament Team, All State team and All State Tournament Team. Arnason is a junior who was a backup for the State runner up RoughRiders.
     In the West Region Michael Hillman from Bismarck High and Grant Kovacs of Dickinson are probably the top two. I dont get a chance to see many west games but as "Wildcat" mentioned earlier Kovacs is probably the states biggest goaltender where Hillman could be the smallest starting goaltender in the state. Kovacs has the second best stats in the state and uses his big frame to his advantage. Although I am unsure of Kovacs age( junior? sophomore?) he started last season for the Midgets. Hillman is a 3rd year starter I've seen him and Deichert  more over the years than Arnason and Kovacs. He has a quick aggressive style  I most recently saw him play in Fargo last season and at the State Tournament. He was named to The All West Region Team, All West Region Tournament Team, and All State team. Both Hillman and Kovacs have a history in the Dakota Select program and Hillman was supposed to play Elite League earlier this season but I think he planned on playing in the NAHL at that time. I would assume both Hillman and Deichert would try-out for North Dakota's showcase team after the season.
    Does anyone on this forum have any information on other goalies in the state?
fellowes
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:42 am

Kovacs is a junior.

What about Grafton-Park River's or Devils Lake?
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeyplayer06 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm

I dont think he stands a chance after loseing 8-0
hockeyplayer06
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Spoiler92 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:11 pm

Mike Sand
GPR
Sr.
10.2 games played
22 Goals against
 2.06 AVG
9 Wins
2 Losses
0 Ties
91% Save Percentage
Last edited by Spoiler92 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!
Spoiler92
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3sport » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:32 pm

Ethan Kline mandan, his coach and players dont really help him much but he is amazing
3sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfootball » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:05 pm

3sport wrote:Ethan Kline mandan, his coach and players dont really help him much but he is amazing

I hope thats a joke.
ndfootball

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:38 pm

ndfootball wrote:
3sport wrote:Ethan Kline mandan, his coach and players dont really help him much but he is amazing

I hope thats a joke.

No its not a joke, hes a junior and he does not get help, hes mandans only chance really at winning games. He's been playing selects as long as i can remeber, and this summer split time with the back-up in the ushl. So you can't tell me he doesn't have talent.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby highheat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:46 pm

he cant be that bad if his team is that bad and he still has an 88% save percentage.
highheat

Postby fellowes » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:32 pm

I beleive the backup in the USHL you are referring to is Eric Hartzell. Eric's dad is Kevin Hartzell, the Head Coach of the Sioux Falls Stampede. Eric did not play in the USHL last year nor is he playing in the USHL this year. However Eric was drafted by the Sioux Falls Stampede in a "prospects" draft earlier this year. Eric is playing for the Dallas Stars AAA Midget team this season.
fellowes
NDPreps Starter

Postby chachi_j2007 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:32 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
ndfootball wrote:

I hope thats a joke.

No its not a joke, hes a junior and he does not get help, hes mandans only chance really at winning games. He's been playing selects as long as i can remeber, and this summer split time with the back-up in the ushl. So you can't tell me he doesn't have talent.

It has to be a joke because minot put up 11 on mandan
chachi_j2007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDbaseball » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:57 pm

Chachi, do you ever post without mentioning anything about Minot?
NDbaseball

Postby 3sport » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:34 pm

in that minot game mandans coach, who is not very popular with the players sat a bunch of there starters because they werent trying in practice the day before...
3sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockey4life » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Grant Kovacs from Dickinson is doing amazing this year. He's one of the reasons why Dickinson is doing good this year. I think he is like 2nd in the state right now or something like that.
Last edited by hockey4life on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby SirSinksALot » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:50 pm

highheat wrote:sean dichert or michael hillman
Im sorry but people need to realize you could place any varsity goalie in South's net and they are going to be the best in the state.  Diechert hasn't really improved in my opinion since he switched from Shanley. He has gotten bigger and has bought huge pads... other than that not much to him.
"Champions don't win on talent, they win on effort."
SirSinksALot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 3sport » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:13 am

kline had 44 saves against century last night
3sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby coast2coast » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:35 pm

3sport wrote:kline had 44 saves against century last night

Thats great.  Century is what on the year now? 3-13 and a few ties?  That must of been a great game for Kline.

Deichert is good, anyone who can play and do well in the Elite is good.

Hillman, Kovacs, and Arnason all have a shot at playing D1 in the next few years.  Kovacs is bigger than Arnason but Arnason has better fundamentals, it also helps that he has the best defense and best team in the state in front of him.

I'd say they will give 3 goalies all state honors again this year, Arnason, Deichert, and Hillman.
coast2coast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Orr4 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:59 pm

What grade is Kovacs?
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:51 pm

coast2coast wrote:

Thats great.  Century is what on the year now? 3-13 and a few ties?  That must of been a great game for Kline.

Hillman, Kovacs, and Arnason all have a shot at playing D1 in the next few years.  Kovacs is bigger than Arnason but Arnason has better fundamentals, it also helps that he has the best defense and best team in the state in front of him.

I'd say they will give 3 goalies all state honors again this year, Arnason, Deichert, and Hillman.

Your just a pure hater, just cause kline doesn't have the supporting cast like Arnason and deichert have doesn't put behind him he has been playing selects the last 4 years with the 90's so your telling me in his time there hasn't been not one east goalie he has knocked off the team? get over yourself, it makes a difference when your not seeing an average of 30-40 shots a game like kline does. How many shots does deichert and arnason see a game? Plus how many defenseman do they have backing them up that are going to go on and play after high school, it makes a deference when your getting uncontested rebounds in front of the net, somthing he see's every night.

Don't go and hate on him because he is from the west, if he was from the east you would have no problem with the kid. Put arnason or deichert in the situation kline has they would get lite up just as bad.
Last edited by Ditka14 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:05 pm

coast2coast wrote:

One of those ties was to crookston 4 to 4  that is the same crookston team that your boy dichert had a whooping 15 saves and the end score was 5-2 with south on the short end
Last edited by Saucesauer on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby coast2coast » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:14 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
coast2coast wrote:

Your just a pure hater, just cause kline doesn't have the supporting cast like Arnason and deichert have doesn't put behind him he has been playing selects the last 4 years with the 90's so your telling me in his time there hasn't been not one east goalie he has knocked off the team? get over yourself, it makes a difference when your not seeing an average of 30-40 shots a game like kline does. How many shots does deichert and arnason see a game? Plus how many defenseman do they have backing them up that are going to go on and play after high school, it makes a deference when your getting uncontested rebounds in front of the net, somthing he see's every night.

Don't go and hate on him because he is from the west, if he was from the east you would have no problem with the kid. Put arnason or deichert in the situation kline has they would get lite up just as bad.

Kovacs has a very bad team in front of him and he is still able to put back 93%.

Deichert has a bunch of individuals in front of him, hardly what you would call a team.  Shouldn't the weak wing pick up the slot?  South's weak wing is at the blue line before anyone gets to the puck.

Arnason is lucky, great D, good coaching, good fundamentals, and a great overall team.  Not to mention he is on the team to beat in the state, every forward puts all he has into shots on him.

Hillman, I'm suprised he came back to BHS, but it's obviously helping them (tied for first in the West with subpar forwards).  I haven't seen him play yet this year, but I'm sure he is only better.

I'm not hating on him, I'm stating that he can't steal a meaningful game against a team that has put up a whopping 68 goals this year.  47 shots on net is alot of shots, but according to gfparks.org, Mandan put on 30.  So the game was by no means a blowout, you could hardly call that lopsided.  I'd say both team's defense must struggle.  If you can't steal a game like that, you shouldn't be considered to be one of the top goalies in the state.  I don't see why a kid like that wouldn't move to Bismarck, if he truly loves hockey and plays for the selects (which doesn't take much anymore), he might as well go to Century and beat out their goalie and have a shot at going to state.

Sauce, sounds like you play for Century or have played for them.  Reality check, 5-12-3 in the West.  Seriously, a tie for you against Crookston must be equivalent feeling of Red River winning at state.  I hope you make it to state and get a chance to play against South.  Regardless of what happened against Crookston and the way they play right now, it will be double digits.

I'm not here to hate, I'm here to tell the truth.  The East is better than the West, but the West is closing the gap and its players are having success in higher levels to prove it.  We won't be seeing 2 west and 2 east teams in the TV round for another decade, that is just how it is.  With strong programs Minot and Bismarck did fine for a few years in the 90s, I see them both getting back to that point soon.  With young, new coaches both teams are leading the West and playing with some of the East, hopefully good things continue to come for them.
Last edited by coast2coast on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coast2coast
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 am

coast2coast wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
coast2coast wrote:

Kovacs has a very bad team in front of him and he is still able to put back 93%.

Deichert has a bunch of individuals in front of him, hardly what you would call a team.  Shouldn't the weak wing pick up the slot?  South's weak wing is at the blue line before anyone gets to the puck.

Arnason is lucky, great D, good coaching, good fundamentals, and a great overall team.  Not to mention he is on the team to beat in the state, every forward puts all he has into shots on him.

Hillman, I'm suprised he came back to BHS, but it's obviously helping them (tied for first in the West with subpar forwards).  I haven't seen him play yet this year, but I'm sure he is only better.

I'm not hating on him, I'm stating that he can't steal a meaningful game against a team that has put up a whopping 68 goals this year.  47 shots on net is alot of shots, but according to gfparks.org, Mandan put on 30.  So the game was by no means a blowout, you could hardly call that lopsided.  I'd say both team's defense must struggle.  If you can't steal a game like that, you shouldn't be considered to be one of the top goalies in the state.  I don't see why a kid like that wouldn't move to Bismarck, if he truly loves hockey and plays for the selects (which doesn't take much anymore), he might as well go to Century and beat out their goalie and have a shot at going to state.

Sauce, sounds like you play for Century or have played for them.  Reality check, 5-12-3 in the West.  Seriously, a tie for you against Crookston must be equivalent feeling of Red River winning at state.  I hope you make it to state and get a chance to play against South.  Regardless of what happened against Crookston and the way they play right now, it will be double digits.

I'm not here to hate, I'm here to tell the truth.  The East is better than the West, but the West is closing the gap and its players are having success in higher levels to prove it.  We won't be seeing 2 west and 2 east teams in the TV round for another decade, that is just how it is.  With strong programs Minot and Bismarck did fine for a few years in the 90s, I see them both getting back to that point soon.  With young, new coaches both teams are leading the West and playing with some of the East, hopefully good things continue to come for them.

He has other personal reasons why he doesn't leave and go play hockey else where so right now in his life thats really not an option. Lets get real is playing at BHS or CHS really going to make a difference? I could see BHS, though i don't see the CHS program picking it up anytime soon.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Hockey