Best Goalie in the State

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Sportshound » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:35 am

We all have to wait and see.

Groves- gets a nod-- due to his third yr. as Varsity goalie

Arnason-  is very good

Kovacs- dicky goalie is excellent--//  with Otto as another very good G-man(and those two have to figure out who will be #1.

GFC-  Simmers heir to the spot. Not to proven

Fargo North-- ouch-- but have young talent Aikens kid

Fargo South-  Kelly--  tops on JV for South for two yrs. Back-up to Diechert last yr. he'll have to prove himself.

West fargo-- good backstopper-- K. Keller-- will have to stand on his head this year--(again)

Jamestown--  have a couple of young kids-- they could be solid in pipes

Others-- Not to much to talk about
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:22 am

Sportshound wrote:Arnason-  is very good

First off I wouldn't call Arnason very good, he is above average. I would be willing to be the Starting goalie for GFC is:> ) to be Seth Lang who will be one of the top goalies in the state by the time he is a senior...  
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:24 am

Favre#1 wrote:Any predictions who the best goalie in the state will be this year?

It isn't going to be the goalie from R.R. :dude:
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:26 am

HockeyHigh wrote:A goalie gets much better when they get 30+ shots a game.

Arnason/Diechert, when they only get 10-15 shots a game, imo just makes it that much harder, especially to get a good save %. Going from getting 0 shots in the last 30 minutes to having to face a breakaway is incredibly tough on goalies, and at the state tournament when the goalies faced a lot of shots it wasn't what they were used to. However, had they played in the west all year, I'm sure they would have done much better.

How about Arnason letting in 3 goals on about 12 shots against Williston during the State hockey tourney. Now that is telling.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favre#1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:54 am

Arnason is still gunna be good...you can't say he's not gunna be
Favre#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby jkaiz » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:31 pm

hes good because of his defense...
jkaiz

Postby brownbomber » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Sportshound wrote:We all have to wait and see.

Groves- gets a nod-- due to his third yr. as Varsity goalie

Arnason-  is very good

Kovacs- dicky goalie is excellent--//  with Otto as another very good G-man(and those two have to figure out who will be #1.

Fargo North-- ouch-- but have young talent Aikens kid

Fargo South-  Kelly--  tops on JV for South for two yrs. Back-up to Diechert last yr. he'll have to prove himself.

West fargo-- good backstopper-- K. Keller-- will have to stand on his head this year--(again)

Jamestown--  have a couple of young kids-- they could be solid in pipes

Others-- Not to much to talk about
Fargo North-- ouch-- but have young talent Aikens kid- hes not very good has the talent but hes really lazy and is not very consistant. 
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Centralhockey_08 wrote:

First off I wouldn't call Arnason very good, he is above average. I would be willing to be the Starting goalie for GFC is:> ) to be Seth Lang who will be one of the top goalies in the state by the time he is a senior...  

the lang is injury prone
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm

brownbomber wrote:
Centralhockey_08 wrote:

the lang is injury prone

Oh really and your basing this on what? I don't know of him having any injuries the last two years. He was sick but he wasn't injured. Still will be starting over Simmers.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm

As I've said before, the West isn't the strongest point of my high school hockey knowledge in ND, but I believe that Groves will be the stand-out, but won't have the team to make them compete for the state championship. Otherwise I see a goalie coming out of Fargo South (their team will make their goalie do well if he isn't himself, ie Diechert got a good save % because his team kept shots out of the house) or Arnason taking all the bacon for goalie talk this year. Of course I'm sure there are great west goalies too (Kovacs) but they won't get that much attention because of the team they play for, just like Groves. Team success is directly proportional to a team's attention. ;)
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: Best Goalie in the State

Postby ndhockey11 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:31 pm

I dont see how you people can argue who is the best goalie in the state?? Even with Red Rivers "Great Team and Great Defense" Arnason is the best goalie in the state without a question. He recently played in the Minnesota Elite League where he was the only north dakota goalie even asked to try out for the team and on top of that he finished the elite season ranked 5th out of 17 goalies. The elite league is 10 times better competition then ND high school hockey and he still manages to be a top goalie in that league. Take a look for yourselves:

http://www.hselitehockey.com

1. WI 35 Sand Brady Eau ClaireMemorial G 264.9 0.928 2.265
2. NE 23 Phillippi Joseph Hill-Murray G 860.8 0.919 2.997
3. SW 1 Caschetta Derrick Edina G 899.1 0.897 3.203
4. WI 1 Martin Andrew Stoughton G 716.9 0.888 3.431
5. GP 1 Arnason Pat G.F. Red River G 731.2 0.869 4.103
ndhockey11

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Whether or not you think the Elite league is better than ND HS hockey by 10x (Which I don't believe, it may be high quality hockey, but it's not 10x better). I'm not impressed with an 86.9% save average and a GAA of 4.1. These could be the best players in the NHL, and if you're as good as they are, you should have save percents in accordance. I'm sure there are other goalies in ND that could put up the same or better save %'s in this situation.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndhockey11 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:31 pm

You must not know the competeition in the Elite league very well. There are around 120 players and out of those players 50 or so already have Division 1 scolarships. If you take a look at the other goalies in the league, no goalie had AMAZING stats. It is a very offensive league, where each goalie sees 30, 40 and even 50 shots a game. I dont believe that there is any other goalie in the state that could crack the top 5 goalies in that league besides him. He has proven himself over and over again.

-2007 ND state Championship SV% 94 GAA 1.11 http://ndhighschoolhockey.com/
-2007 National Chamionship U16 Tier II SV% 94 GAA 1.37 http://edit.usahockey.com/2007_national ... 216u_stat/
-2007 Select 17's festival goalie SV% 92 GAA 1.2, 5th out of all goalies in the Nation http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFiles/ ... ltenders(2).html
-2007 Elite league goalie SV% 87 GAA 4.1 http://www.hselitehockey.com

Please let me know what other goalie in the state that can accomplish that many achievements in one year. I dont think there is another goalie that can. I think that if there is one goalie in the state to go on to JUNIOR A after high school it will be him and then on to play Division 1 hockey after that. He has proven himself over and over even outside of ND High School hockey. He is the best goalie in the state with or with out his good team.
ndhockey11

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:35 pm

You say that he's good with or without a good team. But all of his quality stats come from when he is on a team that excels great amounts over most of the rest of the competition. Also in the Elite league, although you may argue they have better teams, the top goalies have far better statistics than he does. However you put the league, I believe you're building him up to more than he is by all his fancy shmancy statistics. He will have good statistics, just like DIechert did last year, but that doesn't make you a great goalie, does it? As far as statistics go, he could be a complete headcase and crumple after a goal is scored on him, or be the most consistent goalie in the world.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:40 am

arnason is a good goalie.
his stats-- posted by ND Hockey11-- show he plays at a high level.

They are good not great.- he on the other hand has proven he can compete and if he plans on playing beyond HS he will need to continue to grow ,learn and get better at that grueling position.

As far as having some good teams in front of him-- Red river is a good team, the Elite team--must have been good also(especially with the talent level of players on that Great Plains team) even: Just the North Dakota boys listed- Meland, Ledoucer, Demers, Powers, Narveson, Groth, Hills, Galbreath,Siminson, Schaefer--- are all top notch players in this state.
then add in the Minnesota boys-- wow-- that was a team in front of him. So his numbers were not as good as during the regular season, but the point was made-- Many D1 signed players int he Elite League, many more than what Team Great plains had/has.
Or maybe I am not informed-- but I think only Ness(Roseau) is a committ to Minnesota, Verbals by Ravndalen(Warroad), oliver(Roseau)- to st. Cloud.
No others that I could see on the team list have signed or committed.

So they played teams with tons of D1 players. figure it out-- top players(D1 Caliber) playing non-committs-- Hmmm going to be some goals scored...

Now the Best goalie in the State ND-- might be on a team that doesn't hardly win a game-- Dickinson, or Devils Lake.

Good luck to all the players this year-- keep posting your responses it is fun to hear everyones ideas, positions on what they see.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:53 pm

I completely support that Arnason can be, and is a great goalie. But so was Diechert. I'm not saying he's not a good goalie, I'm simply saying that there are plenty of other goalies in the state that can be just as good as him, if not better.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby und52 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 am

What about that Norweigen kid at Shanley?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Vince Lombardi
und52
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Riotmaker#9 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:33 am

Ya I've heard about that Norweigan kid. The Shanley People call him Dr. Dre. With a name like that he better be a gangster between the pipes.
"They call me Birdman Jr. I'm flyer than the rest. I'm trying to get a couple cool pigeons to the nest."
Riotmaker#9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:25 pm

So you think he'll be able to keep South/RR under 15 goals this year? :oops:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportshound » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:37 am

15 goals?? wow not sure anyone in the state will score 15 goals in a game.
Wasn't it 20+ that South put up on Wapheton a few years ago.....???
I am sure that kind of a score will not be seen in this state again. Coaches and kids understand the problems that come with a drubbing like that. RR and south would be the ones to be able to do that.

The so called "Dr. Dre" of Shanley must be a standout to the faithful of Shanley, but can't imagine a goalie bringing his team, with out much punch, to the title... does anyone else think that a goalie and onlya goalie can do that?? who ever posted the nickname must be close to the situation- player?? for shanley???-- good luck boys.
Nov. 5th started a Whole New year in ND HS hockey. Let the fun begin.
goalies will be the topic on this thread-- and they still are in this order in my book--
tied at the Top:
groves- DL, kovacs- dickinson, arnason- RR, Keller- WF, Kelly-South
**maybe the kid from Mandan-- klien if he plays??? any word on that team-- New coach and all??
any others?? just listing the ones that will play top of their game this year-- i think.
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:48 pm

The South championship team a few years ago (I believe they won state that year) attempted to make a statement by clobbering Whapeton somewhere between 26-0 and 28-0. I don't believe they even had their 1st or 2nd lines out after the first period. I can see RR or South doing that to Whapeton/Shanley or another team that is on a few piers below the best in the state.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyfan02 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:39 pm

After his performance in the state tournament last year, I would say Groves is probably at the top of the list.
hockeyfan02

Postby ghetto*revival » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:02 pm

hahah dre dog whats his real name
ghetto*revival

Re:

Postby Centralhockey_08 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:21 am

Ditka14 wrote:
Put arnason or deichert in the situation kline has they would get lite up just as bad.

That is because both goalies never face any shots.
Centralhockey_08
NDPreps Starter

Re: Re:

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:18 am

Centralhockey_08 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
Put arnason or deichert in the situation kline has they would get lite up just as bad.

That is because both goalies never face any shots.

And they're both headcases. :roll:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey