Reffing and New rules change

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Ditka14 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 am

How's everyone thoughts on the new rules, personally I'm not a fan. Also I think the reffing is far from being consistent. One set of refs will allow you to use your sticks and other will call you right away. Just checking on some other player's or fans imput. 
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby highheat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:35 am

it seems to slow the games down a lot and hasnt opened up the neutral zone like i heard it was supposed to.
highheat

Postby jkaiz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:27 am

the call i have seen alot of is the holding call, if you do anything as to put your arm close to a position that looks like you are holding, they call it
jkaiz

Postby UNDBaseball » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:02 am

I think the referees are absolutely terrible this year...they've turned hockey into basketball in the way that you barely touch someone and you get penalized for it...I definatley think they should crack down on the cheap stuff and be more strict on that, but hockey was meant to be a physical game as well as a skill game
UNDBaseball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:54 am

There are also too many times when the puck is in the other kids skates and if you hit him you get called for interference that is bogus if it is in his skates he is fair game
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Dk All Day » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:09 pm

ya the reffing not cool probably because its so inconsistent you'l be in one town playing and they'll let some fly but the next day your back to two hand touch hockey. its a joke.
Dk All Day
NDPreps Starter

Postby BenchRanger » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:01 pm

You must one of those kids that tattoos their stick into the back of another player and as you are skating to the penalty box you ask, "what'd I do???" It's not the reffing that not cool, it's the players who think that everything that they do to bend the rules is O.K... Refs have eyes everywhere.......struggle it up, and take your 2 minutes in timeout like a man!
It's not how high you climb, but how high you bounce after you fall. Gen. George Patton
BenchRanger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DrPepper1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 pm

A quality of a good team and player is to be able to adapt to differences in variables such as reffing. 
DrPepper1
NDPreps Starter

Postby LB21 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:46 am

I think we all can agree the "new standards" seem to disrupt the flow of the games.  I am already tired of the "we got homered" garbage.  The Fargo area has about 30 refs doing games at North, South, WF and Shanley.  I doubt any ref sees a team more than three times.  The refs are assigned games by their association not picked by the schools. 
LB21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:23 am

Though when you get out west there always the same guys, it would be nice to see different ref's everytime we play someone.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeyfan02 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 am

I think the Referees read this site before they did the North/DL game last night. It was perfect. They didnt call any small stuff, and let the kids play. That is how a hockey game should be reffed. I hope others were taking notes.
hockeyfan02

Postby theprodigy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:06 pm

The problem with that is what do you do as a team when you have 20-25 combined penalties called one game then you play the exact same type of game and only have 5-10 combined penalties called. They need to be consistent which ever way they do decide to do it.
theprodigy

Postby hockeyfan02 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:47 pm

exactly, if they every game  the way the DL/Northgame was reffed, then every game would be even.... be consistant with that game saturday night.
hockeyfan02

Postby Antelope Man » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:17 pm

If I remember rite the rules are almost the same but they are enforcing them more.  I think after awhile the refs won't call as many penalties.  But there is alot more penalties being called.
Last edited by Antelope Man on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antelope Man
NDPreps Rookie

Postby SirSinksALot » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:02 pm

I myself am a ref, not high school but up to bantams, and i personally like the new rules. Players aren't getting away with any of the cheap shots that start fights anymore and the players that can skate are showing themselves. Teams like Jamestown who only have big goons running around are getting hurt by the rules. The only rule that is questionable is locking up off face-offs... what are u supposed to do let the center walk you every time?  That and it's a lot harder to score from the point off face-offs now that wings can head straight for them. 

The mention of lack of refs in small towns is because it costs money each year in order to be a ref and buy equipment.  Small towns only have so many games and they can only pay so much. Unless u live around GF, Fargo, or Bismarck you are probably stuck with the same set of refs and there is not much you can do about it.
"Champions don't win on talent, they win on effort."
SirSinksALot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mhsund » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:27 am

SirSinksALot wrote:I myself am a ref, not high school but up to bantams, and i personally like the new rules. Players aren't getting away with any of the cheap shots that start fights anymore and the players that can skate are showing themselves. Teams like Jamestown who only have big goons running around are getting hurt by the rules. The only rule that is questionable is locking up off face-offs... what are u supposed to do let the center walk you every time?  That and it's a lot harder to score from the point off face-offs now that wings can head straight for them. 

The mention of lack of refs in small towns is because it costs money each year in order to be a ref and buy equipment.  Small towns only have so many games and they can only pay so much. Unless u live around GF, Fargo, or Bismarck you are probably stuck with the same set of refs and there is not much you can do about it.

Well #1 as a center you can still tie up the other center with the new standard of play. As long as you keep your hands on your stick and stay with your lane then you will be fine.

#2 off the face-offs the player that is going up to the point can be stopped and the player stopping him won't get a penalty. The player that is stopping him has to establish a lane that he is taking, but he can't grab or put his stick on the player that is going out to the point. That is the little stuff that is stopping the skilled players that might not be big to get out to the point and stop the shot. It also tests the D by making them move the puck and be able to handle it. They arent going to have all day to take a shot anymore. Now they will have to learn how to stick handle and move the puck to their other D partner.

#3 the idea of the small towns not having enough money to pay for refs and the refs not being able to afford equipment. That is bs. The schools pay for highschool game and the hockey programs pay for refs in the younger ages groups. So they have plenty to pay refs. Even the small towns have refs too. Most of them have refs from the bigger cities traveling to the small towns so yah you might have to have the same refs again and again b/c some refs have jobs that won't allow them to travel all the time. So if you have the same ref you know what they are going to call and what they aren't so get used to it or sit on the bench. There is no excuse to the new rules. Now you can't be the stupid goon on the ice. If you have not learned by now then you need to find a new sport.
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SirSinksALot » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 pm

mhsund wrote:
SirSinksALot wrote:I myself am a ref, not high school but up to bantams, and i personally like the new rules. Players aren't getting away with any of the cheap shots that start fights anymore and the players that can skate are showing themselves. Teams like Jamestown who only have big goons running around are getting hurt by the rules. The only rule that is questionable is locking up off face-offs... what are u supposed to do let the center walk you every time?  That and it's a lot harder to score from the point off face-offs now that wings can head straight for them. 

Well #1 as a center you can still tie up the other center with the new standard of play. As long as you keep your hands on your stick and stay with your lane then you will be fine.

#2 off the face-offs the player that is going up to the point can be stopped and the player stopping him won't get a penalty. The player that is stopping him has to establish a lane that he is taking, but he can't grab or put his stick on the player that is going out to the point. That is the little stuff that is stopping the skilled players that might not be big to get out to the point and stop the shot. It also tests the D by making them move the puck and be able to handle it. They arent going to have all day to take a shot anymore. Now they will have to learn how to stick handle and move the puck to their other D partner.

#3 the idea of the small towns not having enough money to pay for refs and the refs not being able to afford equipment. That is bs. The schools pay for highschool game and the hockey programs pay for refs in the younger ages groups. So they have plenty to pay refs. Even the small towns have refs too. Most of them have refs from the bigger cities traveling to the small towns so yah you might have to have the same refs again and again b/c some refs have jobs that won't allow them to travel all the time. So if you have the same ref you know what they are going to call and what they aren't so get used to it or sit on the bench. There is no excuse to the new rules. Now you can't be the stupid goon on the ice. If you have not learned by now then you need to find a new sport.
Are you a Ref MhSund?  Because in order to become a high school ref you basically have to ref for 5 years and obviously be of the right age and pass all the exams.  Not to mention every year it costs money to register and attend the seminars. What i was trying to say is that it's not worth it for someone living in a small town such as Devils Lake or Jamestown to become a ref because of what i listed above.  Im not saying that teams cant pay the refs its just not enough money for someone to ref 1-2 games a week without having to travel or ref little kids.

As for your discussions about the new rules it honestly depends on the refs because in Fargo i have seen tons of refs call and not call the penalties off face-offs.
"Champions don't win on talent, they win on effort."
SirSinksALot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mhsund » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:25 am

SirSinksALot wrote:
mhsund wrote:

Are you a Ref MhSund?  Because in order to become a high school ref you basically have to ref for 5 years and obviously be of the right age and pass all the exams.  Not to mention every year it costs money to register and attend the seminars. What i was trying to say is that it's not worth it for someone living in a small town such as Devils Lake or Jamestown to become a ref because of what i listed above.  Im not saying that teams cant pay the refs its just not enough money for someone to ref 1-2 games a week without having to travel or ref little kids.

As for your discussions about the new rules it honestly depends on the refs because in Fargo i have seen tons of refs call and not call the penalties off face-offs.
Yes, I am and it does cost money to go to the seminars and register. But reffing one game will pretty much cover that. The seminars are only one day long so you don't have to pay for a hotel or anything. I think it is a great idea for people that play hockey and want to make some extra money or even ref after they hang up the gloves and stick. It is a great way to stay with the game you have played all your life. I would recommend kids in the smaller towns to get involved now cuz refs are at a demand. The senior officials I'm sure would help out the younger officals to get them the proper equipment too. They just have to ask.
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Hockey