Mr. Hockey

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:21 am

Lets get real if charlie bair from mandan 2 years ago didn't even have a chance against Marto, and your trying to tell me herbel has a chance against Wurden?Wurden numbers are relativly close to what Marto had, and bair lost, plus the West was stacked that year when he was nominated, while the West this year not cool copared to the east. Wurden will run-away with it Herbel i wish he had a chance, but theres no shot in heck.
Last edited by Ditka14 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby kgmvp8807 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:24 am

wurden. no doubt. south vs red river the fourth time around will be another good one.
kgmvp8807

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 pm

Danny Wurden, Fargo South, defenseman, 18 goals, 24 assists for 42 points.

Eric Herbel, Bottineau, forward, 32 goals, 21 assists for 53 points.

Zach Miller, Grafton-Park River, forward, 27 goals, 26 assists for 53 points.

Kyle Everson, Devils Lake-Cando, forward, 25 goals, 20 assists for 45 points.

courtesy of Kevin Fee @ http://www.areavoices.com/fee/

WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:58 pm

WildWarrior wrote: 

The biggest thing about Wurden isn't that he scores a lot, it's more of when he scored. Games like their last game at Graftons rink, scored with 1.8 seconds left.  Getting goals where it counts is important.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:08 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
WildWarrior wrote: 

The biggest thing about Wurden isn't that he scores a lot, it's more of when he scored. Games like their last game at Graftons rink, scored with 1.8 seconds left.  Getting goals where it counts is important.

Wow, I just copied and pasted FYI.  I didn't look at Wurden's points that is an impressive number of goals for a defenseman.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby random guy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:19 pm

What coaches get to vote? Just the coaches that are going to the state tournament or all the coaches around the state?
random guy
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RazorsEdge » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:13 pm

All coaches present at the coaches meeting Saturday morning get a vote.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:51 pm

WildWarrior wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:
WildWarrior wrote: 

Wow, I just copied and pasted FYI.  I didn't look at Wurden's points that is an impressive number of goals for a defenseman.

Sorry if I came off strong, just meant to point out that yeah he's a defenseman, but his points are put out where it counts, which is why I think he'll take Mr. Hockey. Not to mention from all I've heard his life is pretty much hockey.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:23 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
WildWarrior wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

Sorry if I came off strong, just meant to point out that yeah he's a defenseman, but his points are put out where it counts, which is why I think he'll take Mr. Hockey. Not to mention from all I've heard his life is pretty much hockey.

I think you misunderstood me.  I didn't mean to make it sound like you came off strong.  I meant it to be that I didn't even look and was quite impressed that he averaged almost a goal a game.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WildWarrior » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Herbel won it, wow is that surprising.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSUGrad » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:36 pm

WildWarrior wrote:Herbel won it, wow is that surprising.

Very surprising, but congrats to him.
NDSUGrad
NDPreps Starter

Postby ledahl14 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Atta boy herbel... way to take mr. hockey!
ledahl14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WildWarrior » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:38 pm

ledahl14 wrote:Atta boy herbel... way to take mr. hockey!

Being a former west player myself, it is nice to see Herbel win.  About the only respect the west gets anymore.  Would have been nice to see the hometown boy, Everson, win it though too.  The east votes must have been split amongst the other 3.
Last edited by WildWarrior on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootball » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:13 pm

I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.
ndfootball

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:20 pm

that's great that eric herbal won mr. hockey, he definetly deserves it.  i watched him play a few times this year, great hockey player.  too bad bottineau didn't have 3-4 more solid kids, it would of been fun to watch eric at the state tournament and hockey fans out east could of seen him play.

i looked at herbals stats online and it's amazing how few penalties he had compared to teams doubling up on him.  i know alot of people thought maybe somebody deserved mr. hockey, but i think the right choice was made. 

i know the fans in the eastern part of the state probably don't agree with the choice, but ask any of the western fans or players and they can tell you how good he was.  keep an eye out for this kid during Team ND's run at the showcase, he'll definetly be a big part of there success.
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:24 pm

ndfootball wrote:I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.

sometimes there is more to winning and point total.  i'm guessing you have never seen herbal play, everybody watches and wonders where the speed and skill come from.  i watched both miller and herbal play, miller is great but doesn't stand out like herbal.

the votes are tallied and they give it too herbal, get over it.
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clark17 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm surprised also, I really thought it would be Wurden.  I'm not taking anything away from Eric however, he's a great hockey player.   Who was the last west winner?  Vanette in 95?
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby UND#1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:30 pm

The Hockey Wizzard wrote:
ndfootball wrote:I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.

sometimes there is more to winning and point total.  i'm guessing you have never seen herbal play, everybody watches and wonders where the speed and skill come from.  i watched both miller and herbal play, miller is great but doesn't stand out like herbal.

I think that Zach Miller would stand out on Bottineau's team.  Herbal skates with his head down and isnt as well rounded as Wurrden or Miller.
UND#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:43 pm

UND#1 wrote:[quote="The Hockey Wizzard[/user] wrote: [/b]
[b][user=993]ndfootball"]I dont see how you can vote Herbal over Zach Miller.  Miller had like one less point that Herbal but his team was playing in the touney.  If you put any other of the finalists on Bottineau they are going to be just as good if not better than Herbal.  Watched Miller play against minot and he is a great player.

[/quote]

I think that Zach Miller would stand out on Bottineau's team.  Herbal skates with his head down and isnt as well rounded as Wurrden or Miller.
or would herbal be better if he played for grafton or red river, it goes both ways.  playing for a better team might allow him to backcheck harder or have more gas in the tank. 
watching him play it appears his head is down, but he hardly ever gets hit and always finds open space.  i seen him make alot of nice passes, hard to do if your head is down. 
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UND#1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Herbal might be a good player but I dont think his skill level is even close to that of Wurden or Miller.
UND#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:58 pm

No offense to Herbel, but I think that Wurden deserved Mr. Hockey over Herbel. Danny Wurden is one of the best defensemen to play in North Dakota, and his life is hockey. I don't know about Miller or Herbel personally, but I don't see them playing anything after Highschool, especially not a chance to go to the NHL. After a devastating loss for Wurden's team and him, then losing Mr. Hockey to a player from a team that didn't even make it past the WDA really is a low blow to a player that has pulled his team through some very very close games that coulda gone the other way. Mr. Hockey would have also no-doubt helped Wurden with his future hockey career, if not just for the fact that losing it could have hurt it.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby UND#1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:02 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:No offense to Herbel, but I think that Wurden deserved Mr. Hockey over Herbel. Danny Wurden is one of the best defensemen to play in North Dakota, and his life is hockey. I don't know about Miller or Herbel personally, but I don't see them playing anything after Highschool, especially not a chance to go to the NHL. After a devastating loss for Wurden's team and him, then losing Mr. Hockey to a player from a team that didn't even make it past the WDA really is a low blow to a player that has pulled his team through some very very close games that coulda gone the other way. Mr. Hockey would have also no-doubt helped Wurden with his future hockey career, if not just for the fact that losing it could have hurt it.

I agree that Wurden should have been over Herbal, but they are not going to give the award to Wurden because it will give him a better chance of making the NHL.
UND#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby coyotefan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm

i know this really has nothing to do with the topic but do you know who won miss hockey i know emily sell won the athlete of the year, but no news on ms hockey and it crazy sell had 101 points on the year
coyotefan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm

UND#1 wrote:I agree that Wurden should have been over Herbal, but they are not going to give the award to Wurden because it will give him a better chance of making the NHL.

I'm not saying that just because he has this opportunity he should be granted the award. I'm saying that he has made himself an incredible hockey player and put everything he can into being the best hockey player in the state. I'm saying that he should get the award for that, not because he could get in the NHL. The fact that he could make the NHL is just one good example of why he deserved the award. Being able to be noticed at a professional level, especially as a High Schooler in North Dakota is incredibly impressive. Though I will say he didn't play as well as expected this state tournement, and he'll live that down for the rest of his life, as will all the seniors at South, who just lost most likely their last hockey game of their life. That was the deciding factor to why I thought South would win this year, because they had experience and a sense of determination because it was their last HS games... but I guess I was wrong.
Last edited by HockeyHigh on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby jkaiz » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:45 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:No offense to Herbel, but I think that Wurden deserved Mr. Hockey over Herbel. Danny Wurden is one of the best defensemen to play in North Dakota, and his life is hockey. I don't know about Miller or Herbel personally, but I don't see them playing anything after Highschool, especially not a chance to go to the NHL. After a devastating loss for Wurden's team and him, then losing Mr. Hockey to a player from a team that didn't even make it past the WDA really is a low blow to a player that has pulled his team through some very very close games that coulda gone the other way. Mr. Hockey would have also no-doubt helped Wurden with his future hockey career, if not just for the fact that losing it could have hurt it.

umm herbal has allready played juniors so i guess he has already been somewhere other than high school hockey, personally i think it could have gone to either herbal or wurden, its just hard to tell because they played completely different teams and different positions.  They probly could have givin co-mr. hockey
jkaiz

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey