Which Arena has the nicest Ice to play on

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby showtime » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:27 am

Just wondering who the players think has the best ice to play on in the state, which place has the best facilities, and the best concessions.
showtime
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeymanager07 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:13 am

I would have to say the nicest ice would have to be either a Grand Forks arena or the burdick in Devils Lake.
Last edited by hockeymanager07 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hockeymanager07
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hockeyfan02 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Bismark or Devils Lake. I surley have not found it here in Fargo.
hockeyfan02

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:55 pm

ralph burdick isnt that good of an arena i like VFW in bis
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theprodigy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Ice- Bismarck or Purpur

Facility- The Ralph or VFW

Concessions- Jamestown (knoephla soup and nachos)
theprodigy

Postby jkaiz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:09 pm

idk about devils lakes ice, for me it has been slow, but i dont mind it, bismarck has nice ice too
jkaiz

Postby RazorsEdge » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:59 pm

The best ice in the state is the VFW in Bismarck. They know ice! Some of the worst is at the Ralph.
Last edited by RazorsEdge on Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby showtime » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Personally I liked the cold rinks in the state. Made the ice alot faster, harder, and not so tiresome on the legs. Bottineau's concession have some really good food too. (Wisconsin Cheese Soup)
Last edited by showtime on Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showtime
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:40 am

jkaiz wrote:idk about devils lakes ice, for me it has been slow, but i dont mind it, bismarck has nice ice too
I'd say maybe botno. The ice is always fast and hard. with no bad corners or an excess in standing water
jo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 am

except it not cool to be a spectator....way too cold
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby roger411 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am

hockeymanager07 wrote:I would have to say the nicest ice would have to be either a Grand Forks arena or the burdick in Devils Lake.

the burdick basically has black ice, it's definitely not the nicest, probably the teamsters in Fargo has the best, very fast ice
Win at all costs
roger411
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:10 am

jo wrote:
jkaiz wrote:idk about devils lakes ice, for me it has been slow, but i dont mind it, bismarck has nice ice too
I'd say maybe botno. The ice is always fast and hard. with no bad corners or an excess in standing water

What are you talking about the boards are horrible have crazy bounces you hit them right behind the net the puck will bounce right back to you. Plus the glass behind one of the nets is WOOD
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby nd0606 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:45 am

Overall for a HS hockey game, I would take Jamestown's rink.  Usually nice ice with good overall lighting, seating, concessions etc.  Just a nice place to watch or play in a hockey game.
nd0606
NDPreps Starter

Postby mhsund » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:17 pm

The All Seasons for sure haha (Minot)

Never a bad bounce, ice is hard and fast, lighting is great, saftey net around the rink to protect all the little kids that aren't paying attention to the game, great food for a great price...I dunno that is the makings of a great rink ha.
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Timmay07 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:14 pm

Grafton or Purpur
Timmay07
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:30 pm

Timmay07 wrote:Grafton

No.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:51 pm

nd0606 wrote:Overall for a HS hockey game, I would take Jamestown's rink.  Usually nice ice with good overall lighting, seating, concessions etc.  Just a nice place to watch or play in a hockey game.

ok im fine with jamestown minus the fact there is a foot from the boards to the glass behind the nets gets caught up there somtimes, and not alot of room behind the net to work with
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Hockey Wizzard » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:11 pm

i'm surprised nobody metioned the lumberdome/barn up in bottineau.  the rink is alittle smaller, but the ice is super fast.  i've watched a few games there, college or high school and the games are fast pace.  lots of hitting with the smaller sheet of ice.

you can never over dress for a game in bottineau, most rinks you over heat.  it's a nice place to play, lots of history in that rink.  i read an article that bottineau built the first indoor arena in the state.  they also had a mens team that use to play the souix  and the wheat kings a long time ago. 

good food too!
The Hockey Wizzard
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:48 pm

The Hockey Wizzard wrote:i'm surprised nobody metioned the lumberdome/barn up in bottineau.  the rink is alittle smaller, but the ice is super fast.  i've watched a few games there, college or high school and the games are fast pace.  lots of hitting with the smaller sheet of ice.

you can never over dress for a game in bottineau, most rinks you over heat.  it's a nice place to play, lots of history in that rink.  i read an article that bottineau built the first indoor arena in the state.  they also had a mens team that use to play the souix  and the wheat kings a long time ago. 

good food too!

God how could i forget the food, cheap as heck to worth the trip up there.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby mhsund » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:46 pm

Timmay07 wrote:Grafton or Purpur

Grafton's end zone behind the red line not cool, and the boards are bad. Purpur's ice not cool and has chunks coming out of it all the time.
mhsund
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Metal Edge » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:26 am

Ditka14 wrote:
The Hockey Wizzard wrote:i'm surprised nobody metioned the lumberdome/barn up in bottineau.  the rink is alittle smaller, but the ice is super fast.  i've watched a few games there, college or high school and the games are fast pace.  lots of hitting with the smaller sheet of ice.

good food too!

God how could i forget the food, cheap as heck to worth the trip up there.

besides good ice, bottineau provides a good atmosphere for hockey inside the barn.
Metal Edge
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:02 pm

mhsund wrote:
Timmay07 wrote:Grafton or Purpur

Grafton's end zone behind the red line not cool, and the boards are bad. Purpur's ice not cool and has chunks coming out of it all the time.

I deeply hate Grafton's rink, the boards are the worst in the state, pucks flying out into the slot off of rings all the time, and bad bounces all over. The ice itself gets pretty bad behind the goal lines. Very good concessions though.
Last edited by HockeyHigh on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Return to Hockey